Linux (1 Viewer)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i take back ubuntu is a good distro.

It comes on one CD, but it come with nothing, had to download another 300 megs.

it doesn't even have g++ installed by default, lol

sladehk

le random
HSC
how much is it to order debian on CD?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I've been using linux for a while and the main problem I see is that is it so hard to configure!

if you install it and don't touch it much, it will be fine.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Murf said:
bah install and then fiddle with it as much as possible, break it then fix it again... no use not touching it and not fully understanding it.
yeah, but for home users that is big disadvantage.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Linux is for when you want an indirect way of saying to your siblings "fuck off you're not using my computer"

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Linux is for when you want an indirect way of saying to your siblings "fuck off you're not using my computer"
u just fkn gave me the best solution to my problem. PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ plz tell me where can I get linux from? Is it free or I have to pay? and....how much diff is it to windows anyways?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
LoneShadow said:
u just fkn gave me the best solution to my problem. PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ plz tell me where can I get linux from? Is it free or I have to pay? and....how much diff is it to windows anyways?
it isn't much different if you used Gnome or KDE window managers.

but if you use http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/

then you got some difference. It is quite useable if you don't play games and like the command line.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
it isn't much different if you used Gnome or KDE window managers.

but if you use http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/

then you got some difference. It is quite useable if you don't play games and like the command line.
as long as I can piss off my bros and make them hate my comp....it's all good. But, I do like command line and stuff like dat too. specially those error messages like :command does not exist"....:D

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
or you can try Knoppix (just do a search for it in google) - you can test it out and see if u like it. Just download the CD image - burn it, and then pop it into your CD drive on system boot! It'll leave all your windows files in tact, but give you a good linux experience.
If you like it - you can then move to Fedora Core (http://fedora.redhat.com) which will remove your windows files, unless you do a dual boot system - which i dont recommend.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
JimmyK said:
or you can try Knoppix (just do a search for it in google) - you can test it out and see if u like it. Just download the CD image - burn it, and then pop it into your CD drive on system boot! It'll leave all your windows files in tact, but give you a good linux experience.
If you like it - you can then move to Fedora Core (http://fedora.redhat.com) which will remove your windows files, unless you do a dual boot system - which i dont recommend.
I have 2 HDDs...I'll try it on the old HDD...:D

equiski

HSC
If you just want to confuse your siblings and have a neato new interface to boot, maybe you should look into an alternant shell for windows. Then you are able to keep all your current programs and settings. It simply gives you a different interface to manage your windows and (in some cases) file system with. Litestep is my favourite shell, there is a huge community dedicated to creating awesome skins for it. There is always the option to permenantly or tempoary return to explorer, Its a small free download and installs in no time, so its definantly worth a shot.

This is the homepage.
http://www.beyondconvention.net/ohussain/
Be sure to check out the official skins on the homepage, they are very pretty.

Various shell reviews can be found at:
http://shells.loose-screws.com/

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you want a decent Linux distribution, I started a little while ago on Fedora and that does me fine, Ubuntu's also supposed to be good, and I've heard SuSe is decent for beginners. Search any of these on Google and download them, burn the ISO's to CD's and install them:)

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
thnx fellas. I'lll have a look at each option.

[Edit: reped all helpful suggestions. sorry wafy...couldn't rep u. it says I have to spread more points around b4 i can give u]

Edit2: lol...I like LiteStep. I think that's an excellent temp solution....:D...

Last edited:

sladehk

le random
HSC
withoutaface said:
If you want a decent Linux distribution, I started a little while ago on Fedora and that does me fine, Ubuntu's also supposed to be good, and I've heard SuSe is decent for beginners. Search any of these on Google and download them, burn the ISO's to CD's and install them:)
With my 200mb cable capped, I ain't going anywhere

sunny

meh.
HSC
sladehk said:
With my 200mb cable capped, I ain't going anywhere
I think the March APC has SuSE on its cover DVD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)