lions youth of the year (1 Viewer)

sarge1

HSC
hi everyone,
im just looking for anyone who has participated in the Lions Youth of the Year contest.

I would just like to ask, since i havnt competed before, what type of questions are asked during the initial club interview. Just any general points on what i should be prepared for would be helpful, so that im not heading into the interview blind.

thanks!

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Hey,
Quite coincidently, i only just rediscovered my 'lipns youth of the year pen' and was just writing with it..

I was selected as one of the 2 representatives for my school last year, as a year 11 student [even though the comp is primarily aimed at year 12 students..]
SO i presume you've filled out the application form where you list all your cocurricular activities etc...
Well the interview is quite informal, i had 3 interviewers [a primaryc school teacher, a professor from catholic uni, and some old lady who was past of rotary].
i think the questions vary depending on your interviewers, but for me i just got quizzed alot on what i had written down on my application for [on everything from my academic awards--> mocktrial team--> surflifesaving and surfing.]
in particular i remember the guy asking me about the feeling i got when i was surfing.. and him asking me to describe it.
so weird, subjective questions like that sometimes..
i presume he was just trying to gage how eloquent i was, and how well i could articulate my responses...

then you have the 2 impromptu questions...
mine were about the commonwealth games and Australias link to the commonwealth..
and the other was about drug trafficking and the penalties that should be imposed upon those found guilty[this was around the time of the execution of Van Nyguen and the commonwealth games..]

then tehres a speech...
i was told that i should start bragging about my achievements and what i did for the community
but i'd recommend you dont do that.
If you enter public speaking competitions than you should use those kinds of topics...
the girl who won made a speech on some banal topic of scientific discoveries etc...
you have to remember that the judges are generally conservative, older members of society...
so i wouldnt recommend trying something overtly postmodern etc..
[trust me, i've had quite a bit of experience with tehse kind's of people...ie Rotarians etc..]
They're generally all a nice bunch of people etc..
and be confident! smile and give off some cheerful disposition [which im sure will come naturally :)]
and also..
when they ask you questions for the impromptu..
i know it will be hard, because EVERYONE is wathcing you, waiting for you to answer.
but use about 5 seconds to process your response..
dont just jump into saying the first thing that comes to mind because that often appears superficial...
also try and keep up to date with the news from now until the comp because the questions will most likely relate to current affairs...
and dont say 'like' or 'um' too much..
:) goodluck!

sarge1

HSC
Nambucca Heads. ITs on the Mid North Coast in NSW about a half hour south of coffs.

thanx for that. I probably asked for some pointers to late cos my interview is in an hour but thanx.

Only thing im worried about is the impromptu questions. I should be right because i go through the paper nearly every day and watch the news regularly so im up to date with current events. It just might take me a while to put the words together to answer. Ill be right.

Thanx heaps

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
How did you go?
Congrats for being selected to enter anyway :)
I got a pen and a borders voucher...
u get any freebies?
haha
:)

only__joshing

HSC
hey,
I did lions youth of the year last year and my impromptus was about the damming of the mitchell river and about something else i can't remember, lolz, but my interview was fine. I was in year 10 and I was nervous at first but it was great. I'll be doing it this year and its on thursday night. My speech is about child abuse and i still have the interview, last year i wasn't so great with the impromptus but hopefully thjs year i'll be better, good luck with it all :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)