List of med & dental colleges for 2010 (1 Viewer)

shivacs

HSC
Hi
Would someone please check the list of undergrad med and dent colleges that I can apply for 2010? Bit confusing :eek:about so many colleges in so many states.

NSW

Med : UNSW, UWS, UNCLE, USYD(?)
Dent:CSU, ??

QUEENSLAND

Med : Bond(expensive), JCU
Dent: UQ

WA

Med: UWA
Dent:UWA

VICTORIA

Med: Monash
Dent: La trobe

TASMANIA

Med: UTAS
DEnt: ??

SA

Med: UAdelaide, Flinders
Dent: UAdelaide, ??

I am from NSW and don't want :spzz:to move interstate unless I have to.

srikarr12

HSC
N/A
Queensland has Griffith and Uni of Adelaide Med is now Post Grad!!!

kazoospasm

HSC
Queensland has Griffith and Uni of Adelaide Med is now Post Grad!!!
Griffith, as with UQ, Flinders and USyd, is just provisional entry into their grad med course, isn't it?

Last edited:

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
Griffith, as with UQ, Flinders and USyd, is just provisional entry into their grad med course, isn't it?
griffith, uq and flinders is.

usyd is kinda a combined degree thing which in my opinion is the most pointless thing ever.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
UQ is provisional entry. you do an undergrad degree and maintain a credit average and you will be guaranteed entry.
same applies with griffith.
flinders is grad entry, you have to sit the GAMSAT.
adelaide is still undergrad entry.

Daveky

HSC
NSW

Med : UNSW, UWS, UNCLE, USYD(?)
Dent:CSU, USyd (graduate)

QUEENSLAND

Med : Bond(expensive), JCU
Dent: UQ, JCU, Griffith Uni

WA

Med: UWA
Dent:UWA

VICTORIA

Med: Monash
Dent: La trobe

TASMANIA

Med: UTAS
DEnt: ??

SA

Med: UAdelaide, Flinders
Dent: UAdelaide, ??

lala2

Banned
HSC
usyd is kinda a combined degree thing which in my opinion is the most pointless thing ever.
It is pointless if you've got no other interests and are keen to get into the workforce asap. But I mean, I know two kids doing it who were offered UNSW medicine and they declined because they had other interests. One of them, in fact, is so interested he's now doing honours in chemistry in his B.Sc. which means he'll be at uni for 8 years. Both of them went on exchange and loved it (exchange is virtually impossible in a med degree). So it just depends.

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
It is pointless if you've got no other interests and are keen to get into the workforce asap. But I mean, I know two kids doing it who were offered UNSW medicine and they declined because they had other interests. One of them, in fact, is so interested he's now doing honours in chemistry in his B.Sc. which means he'll be at uni for 8 years. Both of them went on exchange and loved it (exchange is virtually impossible in a med degree). So it just depends.

i guess, but medicine is such an intense and long pathway that i dont understand why anyone would waste time doing a degree that they will not use.

lala2

Banned
HSC
i guess, but medicine is such an intense and long pathway that i dont understand why anyone would waste time doing a degree that they will not use.
There's probably a lot of reasons for it. Perhaps they weren't sure? (both were James Ruse kids btw so I can imagine if it's family pressure). If they were stuck doing med, and turned out hating it--just imagine either six years of pain or dropping it and trying to tell everyone that? Not only that, but suppose they were really certain of their interest in med, once you're stuck into it it's very difficult to take time off to pursue your other interests. Not to mention one extra year is not much in the scheme of things (assuming you don't do honours, that is). Or maybe, being James Ruse kids, it was a compromise between them and their families.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Most med schools/programs offer exchange programs usually to the US, Canada, etc.

Where getting US, India, etc clinical exchange programs at UWS.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Most med schools/programs offer exchange programs usually to the US, Canada, etc.

Where getting US, India, etc clinical exchange programs at UWS.
Really? As in study exchange, not just placement exchange during the holidays? For us in pharm, it's theoretically possible to have a study exchange but it's very difficult to organise because of different equivalences between subjects, so I'd imagine med was the same?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Really? As in study exchange, not just placement exchange during the holidays? For us in pharm, it's theoretically possible to have a study exchange but it's very difficult to organise because of different equivalences between subjects, so I'd imagine med was the same?
I should have been more clearer, our exchange is for clinical placements which are years 3, 4 and 5 as they consist almost purely of clinical in rotations such as emergency, neuro, geriatrics, surgery, general practice, peads, etc at different hospitals, with different academics, etc it's all hands on and what you learn is very supervisor dependant, so it really doesn't matter what rotation your doing or where you do it, the med school will check your learning and supplement it with it's own teaching conferences, etc. Also we don't really get any 'real' holidays (only a a couple of short weeks off each year) during years 3-5 at UWS, because it's a 6 year curriculum crammed into 5 years, a huge downside to 6 year courses, etc (at least we grad a year early!)! However, there would need to be an academic supervisor at the clinical placement to oversee what we are learning/have learn't corresponds to the learning guidelines. As mentioned before we have conference weeks, or lecture series weeks every semester in years 3-5 to make sure students have learn't/see everything that they need to. I presume it would just be delivered online for students on overseas placements and at year long rural clinical schools placements. We also Objective Structured Clinical Exams to make sure we have learn't certain procedures, during our rotations, etc.

Overseas pre-clinical exchange would be virtually impossible at any Australian/NZ medical school due to specific university curriculum accreditation with the AMC.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)