Listen To The Silence. (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Hey all, is there a reason for the Arts forum being so quiet? Us Arts students are traditionally supposed to be the verbose ones, so we really should be talking more..

Anyway, to ask a generic question, how is everyone going and how are their assessments?

I'm going swimmingly.. Managed to get a HD on my HSTY 1045 Document Interpretation, and have my essay photocopied as an exemplar.. Not bad for a first assessment. :D

Anyone have a favourite subject as of yet? Its hard to say personally, although my least liked (and even this is quite good) is HSTY 1025 Early Medieval Europe.. The tutorials feel spoon-fed so far, and I don't like that. (Besides the 'hillarity' over things that aren't in actuality that humourous..)

So yes, use this thread to talk about the wackiness, the rigours, and the general happenings of the Arts student life. It is sorely needed.

Last edited:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
errm i'm doing japanese! that's a lot of work but quite fun

i'm also taking a government unit.. that's heeeeaps of reading which takes an hour just to print out! (all the ink and paper!) and you actually get to think! (haha, unlike my other units which strips you of any ability to use your common sense :| )
also, i expected this, but it's still quite surprising to see just how pervasive the whole leftist agenda is in the course! i pretty much got up and said, THE US IS A POWERFUL BULLY OUT TO RIP EVERYONE OFF. and that was totally the right thing to say haha)
ooh also, i find the arts students to be heaps better lookers than my other units :p

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
Yeah;;; arts is waaaay too quiet.
++> I am happy to say that I have seen the light and dropped all my science subjects and will be transferring out of BLiberal Stud into BA at the end of the semester and it is exciting.

And I WISH I were being spoon-fed like in sweet highschool. Everyone is too smart for me and there is too much reading and the Library keeps sending me 'helpful reminders' like every day because I have books that are approaching their due date.

I do not have a favourite subject as I keep withdrawing from them :( BUT CLCV1001 I have for the first time tomorrow and I am happy about it.

Is anyone else doing inventing modernity and being crazy-annoyed by the lecturer lady who just quotes the texts and then has these random closed-off conversations with old men in far corners of the room?

Anyway. Wish to be spoon-fed. The end.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Yes, I also study 'Inventing Modernity'.. Plenty of poetry readings going on in those lectures, which isn't much use seeing we've read (or are supposed to have :p) the relevant texts.. Like that 'Gothic' lecture that was half about Wordsworth.. Still, I'm enjoying the subject, so its not that major a concern..

Gloria, out of curiosity, what tutorial group are you in?

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
haha least fav subject is easily language and image, ive yet to do any of teh readin, and i have issues fallin asleep in lectures!

hey i do early medievil europe! but your right your spoon fed in tutes..lol..though the lecturers pretty good, shes one of the few i have that manages to stay vaguly on topic.latins teh worst for driftin.....

fav subject is easily ancient, simply because its a challange! and one of the few subjects where i do the reading..though i have done most of teh reading for history!

what i dont like is how much we get bagged by other subjects yet i have more reading, essays, assignmnets, web ct work then any of my friends in other degrees, they may spend 26 hours at uni, but i spend more time slavin away at home..

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by shelley
Other subjects yet i have more reading, essays, assignmnets, web ct work then any of my friends in other degrees, they may spend 26 hours at uni, but i spend more time slavin away at home..
Yeah.. I believe you put many hours of thought, reading and writing each week on top of your time on-campus.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Littlelease
OMG IT WAS YOU WHO GOT THE HD !

lol congrats
Thanks. Wasn't the only one though. Six other people got HD's as well, at least according to my tutor... :)

Last edited:

malayz_angel

Wow..HD on your first uni assessment...nice work Gregor! I have two tutorial papers due this week that I haven't started yet...I think I should...

My fav subject at the moment is probably American History..my least fave is philosophy...although its really only because of the lecturer! However he talks so slowly that it's quite easy to take good notes :)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I think Shelley's got nothing but HD's so far in her assessments... :p

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
did anyone else get an awful AWFUL mark on their first inventing modernity essay??

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by gloria*
did anyone else get an awful AWFUL mark on their first inventing modernity essay??
How did you go, if you don't mind my asking? I get my essay back on Thursday, so fingers crossed.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
oh Gregor you're bound to do well.
I got a credit, and am trying hard not to think about it too much because it will make me cry. :(
apparently I have a 'tension' where I use sophisticated concepts but am too shit to be able to talk about them properly with the right language etc.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
How did you go, if you don't mind my asking? I get my essay back on Thursday, so fingers crossed.
Well, I actually didn't. Next Thursday hopefully. Damn 4-5 week waits, particularly when it seems most other students have gotten them back. Ah well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)