Listening Task: Frontline (1 Viewer)

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
Hey peeps :p,

just wondering if you could help me prepare for one the last English assessment tasks, its a listening task for frontline. We will listen 2wice then answer a question.

What would be the best way to prepare, as I haven't encountered this before. The teacher has said that these kinds of tasks don't really require studying for however knowledge of frontline and techniques used in relation to telling the truth would be helpful.

If anyone is able give me some tips on how to approach this, that would be great.

Thanks.

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
I've got a similar task coming up after the trials...

With Frontline there are certain things to look for, such as:
- What truth is being represented (ie. Sitch's truth)
- Themes/Elements of Satire (ie. parodying the medias distortion of truth and focus upon sensationalism for ratings)
- Motives behind the medias telling of the truth (links to satire above - ie. ratings or whatever it is ...)
- Techniques used to achieve this (two fold - Sitch's technique .. could be humour, irony etc... and the medias techniques.. ie. changing the question to distort truth or the reenactment scene in Add Sex and Stir)

The best thing to do is make a list of Themes in the episodes and "Truths" being represented, aswell as the motives behind these. THis will make it easier to identify techniques used to show these themes and truths.

Also, I suggest renting out and watching the 6 frontline episodes over again.. in your head just note elements of the show which fall under the above categories and could be asked in the exam.

Goodluck!

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
we did a listening task on Telling the truth- and we r studying frontline

yet. the listening task had nothing at all to do with frontline

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
sando said:
we did a listening task on Telling the truth- and we r studying frontline

yet. the listening task had nothing at all to do with frontline
The listening task had nothing to do with frontline...? wtf were ur teachers thinking?

what did it have to do with?

QAFluva

HSC
I reckon the assessment system at my school is pretty crap. For our Mod C (Frontline) task, we didnt watch Frontline, but listened to "Media" from John butler and answered a range of question from 1 to 7 marks. Assessment 15%

It gets even better!! For our AOS (Tempest- Imaginative), I was expecting our assessment to be writing an essay or something along the lines in relation to our AOS. However I was wrong again, all the 15% assessment was a quiz. It involved, multiple choice, true or false and a few short answer and long answers. All this was based on was The Tempest. It couldnt get easier, the questions were like: Who composed the Tempest? What is a tempest? And all dat crap. Still why should I complain about that one, I got 86% in it

So that makes 30% of assessment that I beleive must be a little off the expected level of HSC.

Imanuel Redding

HSC
I have that task coming up. It's sceduled in our trials.

Basically this is how I'm approaching it. I have an essay written for the paper 2 trial. It has frontline and 2 ORM.

For the listening Im just gonna use the stimulus as my ORM. Treat it like you would your ORM and integrate it into your essay.

Sweet no?

NB: I have 2 essays so they cover different themes, if you only have one the stimulus may 'catch you out'

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
frankyd said:
The listening task had nothing to do with frontline...? wtf were ur teachers thinking?

what did it have to do with?
well it was related to the topic 'Telling the Truth' and it was a radio interview about the media's involvement within the mining incidents.. i guess it kinda related to Frontline indirectly due to the lies and deception of Sunrise etc... but we didnt have to refer to Frontline at all in the answers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)