Literature (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
someone then must please explain to me how austen isn't pop culture trash (for her own time period of course :rolleyes: )

longevity does not necessarily lend to the claim of "literature". some of the most brilliant books get lost in time whilst popular pieces are revered. it's happening with Harry Potter isn't it?

right now i'm just finishing "The Wife of Martin Guerre" and starting Ayn Rand's "Anthem" (*sigh* i love theme books)

walrusbear

HSC
The_highwayman said:
If they hadn't all been made into movies then u probably would think they were wonderful. What do u have against movies???? :p
i love movies :p

and i also like those books (actually not lotr, but i quite liked the narnia series when i was younger)
just don't think they're 'literature' when it comes down to it

nedzelic

HSC
ok discuss whatever we want - just specifically not harry potter or lotr, or dan brown
anything else i'm not that worried about and can't be bothered to disclude or comment on

cheers

i'm reading catch 22 at the moment

special_k

HSC
my mum was going to join this book club, then they emailed her the list of books to vote on for the next month's study... if i can find it then i'll paste it. I can remember that it included the da vinvi code, the lovely bones and animal farm. Needless to say that she didn't join.

nedzelic

HSC
lol for da vinci code, but that's harsh to group with animal farm....you read animal farm?

Last edited by a moderator:

nedzelic

HSC
The_highwayman said:
i read it in yr 9 for school.

it was fair good. i'd like to read 1984 tho.
i must say, in my short reading life, it is my favourite book ever

nedzelic

HSC
but animal farm was a very clever book and i enjoyed i alos

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Whenever I read those books, I always get the urge to start calling people Comrads.

They're both good books. Similar in many ways. They play with our emotions well, Animal in particular made be frustrated at some of the Pigs.

MasterP

Come to Daddy
HSC
James Joyce - Ulysses, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Dubliners.

Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse-five, Breakfast of Champions, Cat's Cradle

Goethe - Faust

Joseph Heller - Catch-22

Gabriel Garcia Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude

Isaac Asimov - Foundation Trilogy, The Complete Robot

Ken Kesey - One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

Tolstoy - War and Peace

Victor Hugo - Les Miserables

Dostoyevsky - The Brothers Karmazov, Crime and Punishment

... I've read this year. My Faust edition is illustrated, and it's fucking awesome looking and adds a chic dynamic that fits perfectly with the story.

Love Joyce. Love Tolstoy (can't get in touch with the Christian themes, but the anarchism, oh yes, that book is fucking epic)

nedzelic

HSC
MasterP said:
James Joyce - Ulysses, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Dubliners.

Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse-five, Breakfast of Champions, Cat's Cradle

Goethe - Faust

Joseph Heller - Catch-22

Gabriel Garcia Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude

Isaac Asimov - Foundation Trilogy, The Complete Robot

Ken Kesey - One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

Tolstoy - War and Peace

Victor Hugo - Les Miserables

Dostoyevsky - The Brothers Karmazov, Crime and Punishment

... I've read this year. My Faust edition is illustrated, and it's fucking awesome looking and adds a chic dynamic that fits perfectly with the story.

Love Joyce. Love Tolstoy (can't get in touch with the Christian themes, but the anarchism, oh yes, that book is fucking epic)

i'm readinf catch 22 as we speak. unfort, i haven't had the luxury of being able to read this well this year as fucking crime fiction for ext1 has been occupying me. so i've olny managed island and the afformetioned catch 22; the best of all the catches

special_k

HSC
nedzelic said:
lol for da vinci code, but that's harsh to group with animal farm....you read animal farm?
Yes, but it's hardly forty something housewife book club material... We covered it in year 7.

ishq

brown?
HSC
nwatts said:
Anyone here read Sophie's World? I've had a few friends recommend it to me, just curious as to what everyone thinks.
I liked Sophie's World! Different.
I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird...again. Starting Hitchhiker's...again. :)

nedzelic

HSC
special_k said:
Yes, but it's hardly forty something housewife book club material... We covered it in year 7.
....in year 7??? i don't remember a study of communism and the cold war in the year 7 curriculum???? sure, of course it could be read to 10 year olds as a animal storey - but obviosuly that's not what it's about.

anyway, don't 'fotysomething housewives usually read stuff by....fuck, i dunno, michael connolly and well....the di vinci code like you said.

anyway, yeah i think she should look for a more literte book club

nedzelic

HSC
ishq said:
I liked Sophie's World! Different.
I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird...again. Starting Hitchhiker's...again. :)
life's too short to read the same book twice - there are 1000s of books that are read-worthy

M.I.A-187

HSC
I am reading something right now on Roman military from republic, Empire to christian fall times.

Another read i used to have is guns, gems and jews.

For some other subject i used to read books about fish, insects, lizards and yeah strange animals course they are intersting.

special_k

HSC
nedzelic said:
....in year 7??? i don't remember a study of communism and the cold war in the year 7 curriculum???? sure, of course it could be read to 10 year olds as a animal storey - but obviosuly that's not what it's about.

anyway, don't 'fotysomething housewives usually read stuff by....fuck, i dunno, michael connolly and well....the di vinci code like you said.

anyway, yeah i think she should look for a more literte book club
acceleration program. nz education system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)