Little inquiry... (1 Viewer)

Milo_

HSC
Hey everyone, been a while since I posted on here. As essentially the half-way mark is here, I have received my report/ranks for my subjects. It's a pretty good year group tbh, and I am doing quite well for myself thankfully. (Ranking 1st in Media and SOR II :D).

Despite this, I have an inquiry based on my ranking and overall Band for one subject in particular... Mathematics (2U).

Now my rank is 17/39 which probably many find it pretty alright. But my problem is that my average from the last two exams are ~60% (Yikes). I have 12 Units, and as a result this mark will not affect my ATAR score, however, I still wish to do well with in this subject. My inquiry is (and you already probably heard this a million times), am I still able to gain a Band 5/6 based on my scores.

I did pretty well in Prelim, ended up with a rank of 9/(forty-something) with an 80% average. I don't know what happened with the first HSC Maths exam, I got 45% (did not properly sleep :/) for that unfortunately and ended up getting 70% recently on my 2nd task (silly mistakes).

I heard that it is rankings that are focalised on, not the score; can someone help clarify this. But yeah my goal is just to get a Band 5 or 6, I won't drop it due to the probable prerequisites from certain universities and I also enjoy the content overall. It does not interfere with my other subjects' study time, I manage well with my subjects... though Maths should be focused a bit more I can tell :p

Thank you in advance, and I wish the best for other Year 12 students. Take care!

KingTings

HSC
You may have potentially heard it before but it is really important to understand only internal ranks and the performance of your cohort in the HSC determine your HSC mark.
As long as you rank decently consistently, you get a good exam mark and the rest of your cohort does well you can get a high band.
A good rank may be subjective to how competitive your school is.
But so far you seem on track! You can definitely still get that high band

107thbarnes

HSC
I'm in a very similar sitaution!!! 83% and 52% on my recent 2u maths exams (i was devastated about the latter). I think the only thing we can really do now is put our heads down and work hard to up our ranks, theres no point being upset about :p

and yeah, it is apparently only the rank that your school submits to NESA, not your actual marks.

Milo_

HSC
Thank you guys for your assurance! Much appreciated, feeling much more optimistic now.

Does anyone have some good tips for more effective maths study? I usually just do past paper questions, but does anyone have any other methods, etc. Cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)