• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Living Allowance from your parents (2 Viewers)

Ribbon

Originally posted by natstar
I found out the threshold for income for centerlink is $236 a fortnight.
yeah thats for a student earning thier own wage... I meant to be eligable for youth allowence at all... I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think if your parents earn over 40- 50k a year you cannot get it, at either living away or living at home rate unless you are classified as independant which (once again not 100% sure) is a/ kicked out of home/ had to leave because of exceptional circumstances or b/ had to move out of home because travel to your place of study was more than 1 1/2 hours a day or c/ you have earned more than $16000 the previous year.

I would assume (and yes, melbournian, I will make assumptions) that your parent(s) would not be able to afford to pay $5000 in accomodation costs and a living allowence to thier child if they earn't less than 40k a year (particularly if they have large morgatage/car payment or other dependant children)? BTW I am guessing the threshold is 40k because I had a friend have her youth allowence go down to a grand $2 a fortnight after her mum got a promotion into a 40k per year job...

As for the income bank, it means that whenever you earn less than $236 a fornight you get a 'credit' as such towards what you can eanr in the future. For example, if I earn $136 the first f/n of my payments, I have $200 in the income bank. That means the next fortnight I can earn up to $436 without having any money deducted from my payments, if I earn less than $236 again, then more money is in the 'income bank' for you to earn at a later date, without being penalised. It allows you, as a uni student, to work little or not at all during uni, and then earn the equivelent to the $236 per fortnight over that period in the holidays... If you get what I mean....

Last edited:

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
Originally posted by natstar
Im also wonderin how likey it is that i will get selected for an on campus accomadation at Newcastle Uni. Evilc?????????????????
I think you have a good chance of getting on campus at newcastle, especially evatt house. im not sure what sort of criteria they judge the applicants on, i got knocked back by Edwards hall because they gave preferance to people from further away (i dont live that far from newie)

oh, and i spend about $80 on food (dinner is provided 4 nights a week for me), stationary, entertainment etc.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
you live in forster don't you? I know someone from forster (class of 2002) that lives at the same college as me. I think you find out either late january or early febuary.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Soph go and see centrelink... you would probably be eligable for living away from home allowance....

I want to earn at least $300-350 a week while I am at uni.... (which will mean I get zilch from centrelink because it will shrink the $90 pw living away from home allowance to nothing... but I'm still going to get that while I'm trying to find a job and get settled and stuff... my dad went and saw about the living away from home allowance thing and it seemed anyone could get it? But you can barely earn anything on it....)... does the amount I want to earn per week sound achievable?

$160 for accomodation + $5-10 a week for net access
$20-$30 for dance/pilates/yoga classes... something like that
$100 for living expenses
And whatever I don't spend goes in to the bank.... for going overseas, or paying off my HECS, or postgrad studies.....

Well that's the plan anyway.... and if I screw up, that's when my 'rents can help out lol.

I'm pretty happy because I have already earnt enough now so that I can pay my HECS for first year probably (go communications being in the cheapest HECS bracket!) and still have a fair amount saved to support myself while I find a job in the big city.... lets hope so anyway!

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yes... but for the first year I am trying to earn the $16000 so I can get Youth Allowance in the second year.... then I will be looking for CIH *wink*

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Going to uni is expensive, lol. I get $70 a week and I live at home...So I think somewhere between $80-$100 should be alright.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
what job lets you earn $350 a week? i want that job! i only just earn that much (well, mebe a bit more) working full time in the hols! but then, my sis does communications and she is only at uni 12 hourse a week, leaving a lot of time for work. hmmm.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think you should ask you're parents for say $100 a week, then bank any that you dont spend and save it for emergencies, when you go overseas, paying off hecs, etc (or just to give back to them at the end if you dont need it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)