Living at / near uni (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Its called boarding?

Im thinking of doing this cos travel to uni will cost me 3+ hours daily for a return trip
And the petrol / food costs of not living near uni + time wasted outweighs the costs of moving out

Im thinking of going to unsw, any1 know what people like me usually do in these situations? Are there cheap housing available near the campus for students to rent? Or are there rooms within the uni for these purposes? What are the general costs? And how do i apply?
Thanks

shannonm

HSC
N/A
colleges? renting a unit near kensington? share houses?

shouldnt you have started organising that shit ages ago

Nezz

HSC
trust me- you dont want to travel! i did it this year and it was horrible!
start looking for accommadation asap- just check on the net for rental properties etc and head up to the uni... there is always posters around on notice boards and poles with share accommodation available. ask around with friends and relatives - they may know someone or have room themselves.
good luck!

Generator

HSC
N/A
3 hours a day... Relatively normal (for some of my school mates and I, anyway). Move out if you think that it is necessary, but you shouldn't be too worried if you have to commute... It isn't that bad.

Last edited:

RIZAL

HSC
Start making calls to the colleges. I know the Dean at New College and he recommends that college for studious people.

You've got a weekly fee (at my college it's $280), and then a bond, student executive fee, phone rental, internet costs....budget about a grand for other costs.

I know a girl from UNSW that paid $252 a week last year. But she was 4th year and there are usually discounts given to continuing college students.

College isn't cheap. But you'll make a shitload of friends and have some really good times.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
If you can work for a year, you can get ausstudy which is VERY helpful for board.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
im hopefully going to St Andrews College at usyd. it is quite expensive ($350pw) but its alright since you get tutoring and 21 meals each week. i need to live on or near campus cause i live in dural which is too far from usyd to commute everyday. about 4hrs return

RIZAL

HSC
and considering your UAI, you could apply for a college 'Tutor' position after 1 year (provided your social skills are as good as your marks). This can halve your fees, give you a bigger room with ensuite and usually comes with a few more fringe benefits.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
my uai has hardly even got me a spot despite my national level swimming and state level running. apparently it was really competitive but im on a special list in case anyone turns down their offer which is highly possible

RIZAL

HSC
Yeah I;ve heard that 'Drew's is hard to get into.

I also heard that someone got flown to Adelaide blindfolded with no money one year as part of their O-Week/initiation procedures!

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
ive heard stuff like that too. im not sure if they can do that sort of thing anymore.

wonder how they got home with no money haha

i shudnt laugh though cause that could be me

grimreaper

HSC
I doubt you will find a place at one of the unsw colleges anymore but you could try - I applied back in october and managed to get one. It does cost a fair bit, but remember it includes everything such as all food and bills (apart from phone\internet)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)