Living Away From Home Assistance Queries (1 Viewer)

Trentyboi

HSC
I was browsing today, to find the criteria for eligibility for this, and let me tell you, it's like they don't want the masses knowing about it. Couldn't find it at all on the Centrelink website.

But I found it on The Department of Education.... website but it was for AB/Aus (The aboriginal one)study. It stated that for this assistance you need to live more than 90 minutes travel (including waiting, walking, transport) and I believe 50km from your chosen university.

When I went to the Youth Allowance part of the website for the living away from home assistance section, it simply said something along the lines of the title for eligbility and that you still have to be a dependent.

Does anyone have experience in this? Would it be safe to assume that it would be the same distance and time requirements as the AB living away from home assistance?

Also, do you know if it's similar to Youth Allowance where you can only have a maximum of 5 (or maybe 6k) in your bank account? I have perhaps just over $6,000, with 5k of it being in a term deposit.

Have to wait until Monday to contact Centrelink, why aren't they open weekdays? Waiting isn't my forte! :p

Edit: Also, does your parents' income matter in this? And please move this out of the sub-section, didn't mean to post in employment.

Further Edit: After more 'researching', I found that you need to be eligible for YA to be eligible for this. But, something that might be new is that you are 'independent' if your parents can't carry out their roles or something along those lines. My parents said once you move out, you receive no support. I moved from the Gold Coast to Brisbane to study, and am supporting myself. So, think I have a chance seeing as in my dependency, I am getting nothing from my parents? Usually someone 'dependent' on another would need to receive something for the dependency to exist?

Last edited:

arcticfox

HSC
Hi There,

For dependence, you'll probably won't qualify for that, unless you've worked and earned 18.5k in the last 18 months. Even if you move out, you're still dependent.

Therefore, your parental income will come into play. Your parents must earn less than approximately 55k for you to get SOME youth allowance at all. This is for the away from home rate as well (if oyu have had to move to another city to study, then you'll most likely qualify for this).

As for the bank account, you can have as much money as you want. However, they'll be a period where your payments will be delayed depending on how much money you have (Your assets/qualified YA Payments), up to 25 weeks.

Hope i've helped :)

Trentyboi

HSC
Well, because of the distance issue, I moved to study. Even though I am not eligible for YA because of my parents, it wasn't due to their income. It was because of their assets. However, what about this?

"you have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities"

You can be proven independent if you can prove this. I am living away from home, as a dependent of my parents, but my parents cannot afford to support me (remembering that it wasn't their income that was too high). So wouldn't this fall under that category and thus allow me to be eligible for YA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)