living costs (1 Viewer)

whatrandom

HSC
N/A
hey everyone :)

i suck at money management... so I'm trying to plan a budget.

How much are the average weekly living expenses? I'll be living in a self catered place so we're looking at about $163 per week rent and money for food (groceries + eating out) /going out/textbooks...etc

thanks

cricketfan10

HSC
food - depends on what you eat obviously, and whether you can cook. cut out the junk food (shouldn't have that anyways :p) and you're looking at about $100-110 per week at worst? including eating out meals ofcourse.

going out is cheap. entry to clubs are free on thurs nights and the drinks are cheap ($1 beer, $3 shots, $2 jaegarbombs). only other night you'd wanna go out is on a saturday but they charge you entry fee AFAIK and drinks are more expensive. shouldn't really spend more than 20-25 bux at a night out at worst. if you're a girl you prob won't have to worry about drinks either haha

textbooks will come to around 500 bux for all your subs id imagine assuming a text book for each subj. if you can get second hand ones that'll help.

cricketfan10

HSC
might be wrong on the jaegarbombs, might be 4 bux, i forget. but that's at moose and the other two at ICBM. only on a thursday night though

dreamee

HSC
Excluding going out costs, it's possible to get groceries down to about $30 a week, if not less.

rx34

HSC
If it helps, shopping in asian grocery shops for veggies and rice would be cheaper than ANU. Or even go to the market on saturday when they have to clear stock.

Personally, I have never done that. I hate people-pushing.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
might be wrong on the jaegarbombs, might be 4 bux, i forget. but that's at moose and the other two at ICBM. only on a thursday night though
Unipub seem to have a similar deal for Thursday nights.
Bear in mind though that Mooseheads, ICBM, Shooters etc are all pretty disgusting places (but nevertheless you'll spend nearly every Thursday night there in first year :p).
If you're a bit more indie try hitting up Rev (Bar32) on a Friday night, or Transit bar which can be decent sometimes.

richardneill

HSC
Unipub seem to have a similar deal for Thursday nights.
Bear in mind though that Mooseheads, ICBM, Shooters etc are all pretty disgusting places (but nevertheless you'll spend nearly every Thursday night there in first year :p).
If you're a bit more indie try hitting up Rev (Bar32) on a Friday night, or Transit bar which can be decent sometimes.
What are these sort of places like for checking ID? I don't turn 18 until May (one disadvantage of coming from QLD) but I don't want to miss out on:
a) Toga
b) Live bands

Fake-Name

HSC
This seems like a good place to ask my question,
How come nobody has mentioned the electricity,gas,water bills?
This isn't provided is it??

moc2009

HSC
N/A
This seems like a good place to ask my question,
How come nobody has mentioned the electricity,gas,water bills?
This isn't provided is it??
If you are living on Campus accommodation then you don’t have to worry about any of these, as it’s all included, and some campus accommodation also includes all your food. (on campus you dont pay any bills, just your rent).

If you are off campus in your own place/sharing, it depends. It depends on an apartment or house, and if there are 2 people or 6 people living there.

To give you an idea. I live in an apartment, there are two of us.

The bills come every 3 months.

The total for gas for 3 months was $93 (so really a dollar a day), so $93 over 3 months split in two is not much at all.

The total for electricity for the 3 months was $123, again... split over 3 months and for two people, is not that much.

Water is paid by the landlord :)

Fake-Name

HSC
If you are living on Campus accommodation then you don’t have to worry about any of these, as it’s all included, and some campus accommodation also includes all your food. (on campus you dont pay any bills, just your rent).

If you are off campus in your own place/sharing, it depends. It depends on an apartment or house, and if there are 2 people or 6 people living there.

To give you an idea. I live in an apartment, there are two of us.

The bills come every 3 months.

The total for gas for 3 months was $93 (so really a dollar a day), so $93 over 3 months split in two is not much at all.

The total for electricity for the 3 months was $123, again... split over 3 months and for two people, is not that much.

Water is paid by the landlord :)
Thanks for that, this really helps!
(Keep trying to rep you, but I need to spread it round first)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)