living on campus, whats it like? (1 Viewer)

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
Don't do it in the Eleventh Hour. Do it before StuVac, you'll have plenty of time to organise everything.

Alternatively, try and defer for a year, earn some money and you can put off applying to university and accomodation for almost a year.

Dude, I dont think you understand, I had a shitload of options and I didnt know what I wanted to do.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
That just goes to show you're indecisive. And disorganised.
College seems to attract those kinds of people and once you're suckered in you'll be the same :)

After a few weeks you will be thinking "hmm should I got to class tomorrow or stay up until 3am and go have a bbq at the sports union with the others and sleep all day. "

You'll see :)

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
College seems to attract those kinds of people and once you're suckered in you'll be the same :)

After a few weeks you will be thinking "hmm should I got to class tomorrow or stay up until 3am and go have a bbq at the sports union with the others and sleep all day. "

I look forward to it!

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
That just goes to show you're indecisive. And disorganised.
I had no idea what UAI I was going to get and I applied to six different unis. Good luck to anyone trying to sort out accomodation at all 6 places. I also was considering having a year off.

Get off your high horse and stop with the criticism. I got into college. There's no problem here except for you being a dick.

Last edited:

forceblade

HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
if u want to have a look at some photos of colleges then go to the [bold]une website then to accomodation and there are photos of all of them there[/bold]

as someone else said - don't pick a college on what it looks like or the size of the rooms, after all - it's the friends you make and the experiences you have that will be the most important thing - not the size of your room or how much grass the college has...

and don't freak out about guy/girl showers... its really not bad
can you give me a link? cause i cant seen to find it, i never did a search on the une website but still nothing

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
forceblade said:
can you give me a link? cause i cant seen to find it, i never did a search on the une website but still nothing
Go here
http://study.une.edu.au/pages.php3?p=WHYONCAMPUS
read it
down the right hand side you see all the colleges named
left click on one for a summary
then go to the bottom of the summary for a link to the official page of the college that has pics :)

Although they don't seem to update a few of them, for example Austin has the 2001 tutors there.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
LeftrightOut said:

yeah it can be like that - but it doesn't mean that you won't fit in if you are the type of person that wants to go to all your lectures and doesn't want to stay up drinking 5 nights out of 7... that said, it's very tempting to go out and just skip a lecture - but they'll tell u that attendance at lectures does have something to do with better marks - and from what i can see it's true

i think the other thing to be wary of is that the less hours you have, the less hours you'll probably go to (in my experience) - for example, people doing arts/law, social science etc.. only have about 12 hours a week and they are more tempted to skip them, whereas science/nursing etc. students tend to have about 22 hours a week and are more likely to attend lectures (in some cases they mark rolls at these too so you can't skip too many!)

you'll learn all about it once you get here though!!

erin_b_13

HSC
hey forceblade

hey forceblade,
I go to UNE, and if you intend on getting decent marks I suggest you live in town lol. college life is definitely not all its cracked up to be. If you go to any college I would recommend Duval because its fairly quiet, but if your after alcoholics as neighbours, constant noise and frequent nervous breakdowns, then i suggest any other college, particularly drummond and smith lol - i live there, and i cannot wait to get out of there lol. uni in general is great, but if your after peace and quiet like me, live in town lol. btw, i come from sydney too, so i understand what you mean, like it being far away, but its a really great university

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
erin_b_13 said:
hey forceblade,
I go to UNE, and if you intend on getting decent marks I suggest you live in town lol.
Town isn't all it's cracked up to be either :) Unless you have a car or live right at the base of the uni. Plus you are fairly isolated from the general goings on of Armidale at college so you probably aren't aware of the situation with certain areas and local groups.

erin_b_13 said:
college life is definitely not all its cracked up to be. If you go to any college I would recommend Duval because its fairly quiet, but if your after alcoholics as neighbours, constant noise and frequent nervous breakdowns, then i suggest any other college, particularly drummond and smith lol - i live there, and i cannot wait to get out of there lol. uni in general is great, but if your after peace and quiet like me, live in town lol. btw, i come from sydney too, so i understand what you mean, like it being far away, but its a really great university
The amount of noise and consumption will vary due to a number of factors and depends on your room location. If you live courtyard side or on the bottom floor near an exit or walkway or happen to luck out on a neighbour or have an overly cliquey block you usually won't get much peace. But hey at least it trains you to show some self control and push through what are really some very minor nuisances when you look at the bigger picture. Plus there are always computer labs and libraries up top.

forceblade

HSC
erin_b_13 said:
hey forceblade,
I go to UNE, and if you intend on getting decent marks I suggest you live in town lol. college life is definitely not all its cracked up to be. If you go to any college I would recommend Duval because its fairly quiet, but if your after alcoholics as neighbours, constant noise and frequent nervous breakdowns, then i suggest any other college, particularly drummond and smith lol - i live there, and i cannot wait to get out of there lol. uni in general is great, but if your after peace and quiet like me, live in town lol. btw, i come from sydney too, so i understand what you mean, like it being far away, but its a really great university
cool, thx for that, but i cant live in town cause i am only on my L's so i cant drive by myself :(

by the way is anyone doing business/commence degree at UNE?

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Town isn't all it's cracked up to be either :) Unless you have a car or live right at the base of the uni. Plus you are fairly isolated from the general goings on of Armidale at college so you probably aren't aware of the situation with certain areas and local groups.

The amount of noise and consumption will vary due to a number of factors and depends on your room location. If you live courtyard side or on the bottom floor near an exit or walkway or happen to luck out on a neighbour or have an overly cliquey block you usually won't get much peace. But hey at least it trains you to show some self control and push through what are really some very minor nuisances when you look at the bigger picture. Plus there are always computer labs and libraries up top.
i agree here... but if you want to do work you'll get it done... its just about disciplining yourself... i got a D average last semester and i live on one of the noisiest floors at college as well as living right next to the tv room and i still manage... and yeah it does train you to have self control!

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
forceblade said:
cool, thx for that, but i cant live in town cause i am only on my L's so i cant drive by myself :(

by the way is anyone doing business/commence degree at UNE?
Commerce isn't being offered any more, its being changed to business and being downsized. I'm doing Economics/Commerce degree and with the new Economics/Business degree you lose a major and have less majors to choose from. In my degree you do 2 commerce and 1 economics major but under the new system you choose 1 major in business and 1 in economics.

forceblade

HSC
bboy_insane said:
Commerce isn't being offered any more, its being changed to business and being downsized. I'm doing Economics/Commerce degree and with the new Economics/Business degree you lose a major and have less majors to choose from. In my degree you do 2 commerce and 1 economics major but under the new system you choose 1 major in business and 1 in economics.
ah i see...when you say its "being changed to business and begin downsized" does it mean if i do a business degree i can have a commence degree as well?
cause i need a commence degree for my job

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
No, sorry i mean that commerce is being renamed to business. Commerce and business are basically the same thing though.

Are you sure you NEED a commerce degree?

jesscookie

HSC
i was at UNE on the weekend, just having a stickybeak, and i realised that it is a f@#%king long walk from Austin to the NatRes building. also, im very glad thati di pick austin, because at lunchtime on sunday, they were already pissed, having a recovery party from the night before's efforts!

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
jesscookie said:
i was at UNE on the weekend, just having a stickybeak, and i realised that it is a f@#%king long walk from Austin to the NatRes building. also, im very glad thati di pick austin, because at lunchtime on sunday, they were already pissed, having a recovery party from the night before's efforts!
haha that was me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)