living @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
im fairly certain i am going to live on campus next year to avoid 1.5-2 hour trips to and from uni each day. here are my questions:

1. how do most people manage the costs, and is it really as difficult as people (non uni people) make it out to be?
2. whats the best type of accom? ie. fully catered, self catered, group rooms etc.
3. is it as fun as i am hoping?

any knowledge/experience is valued.

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
1)How do you plan to pay for this? Family? Work? Centrelink?
2)Depends on the type of person you are and the funds you have available.
3)What are you hoping for? Again as above + the type of people your living with/around.

So more information is needed.

plasticities

HSC
I don't live on campus, but really close by.
1. The cost is really expense to live on campus. Some people manage it by getting part time/casual jobs (tutoring is a good way to go) and trying to get benefits from centrelink (which is kinda difficult).
2. Its a personal preference, if you think you can manage cooking and cleaning for yourself then self-catered is a good option imo. However, if you want to meet a lot of new people straight away, have your cooking and cleaning done for you, then catered is the way to go.
3. From what I've heard from friends living in college they have heaps of fun. The college's always have activities, musical/talent shows, parties etc. They provide massive o-week activities so you will be guaranteed to have fun and meet people, but you will be incredibly tired by the end of it. And you also have to learn to balance study with the demanding social life, since you'll be living amongst all your new friends. I've heard it's easier at new college, shalom etc. compared to the kenso ones, but at the end of the day it's up to you to be organised and prioritise.

medstick92

HSC
Hey guys, I live at New College on campus at UNSW. I know last year I found it really difficult to find accurate information about what it's ACTUALLY like to live at college, so please feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)