LLB v JD (1 Viewer)

Demandred

HSC
Hey peoples, I've researched some transfer options and have come to this new Juris Docter course offered by UTS to replace its master of law & legal practice, I've been assured by their law school that it's almost the same as the normal LLB degree, as well as having legal prac training. So other than the slightly different content, what else is different?

magic

HSC
You will need a degree to eligible for entry to the JD. Also the JD is charged at post graduate subject cost rates.

The main difference is the LLB has 5 electives (after exemptions) (assuming you have a first degree - you will get exempted for 48cp of electives) while the JD has 3 electives.

You can compare the two by looking at:

http://www.law.uts.edu.au/students/enrolment/2008transition/LLBwithPLT.pdf

http://www.law.uts.edu.au/students/enrolment/2008transition/MLLPtoMLLP27July.pdf

What do you think of the name JD instead of LLB?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
magic said:
What do you think of the name JD instead of LLB?
Personally, I think it's a pathetic attempt to 'be like America'. There is absolutely no point to changing the terminology - as you pointed out, the only difference between the LLB and JD programs is a different number of electives. Oh, and lets not forget the added cost.

If I'm going to pay more for a 'doctoral' degree, it better put the letters d and r in front of my name, dammit.

Demandred

HSC
Yea, I am finishing my Economics component of by Law/Economics degree this yeah, I rang up UTS's law school, they said I should be eligable to apply.

One of the pro's they said was that its less competitive in gaining a position than normal law because its post grad. Hmm... I wonder how much it will cost extra.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
huh? i don't get it? why are you doing a JD after LLB?

Demandred

HSC
Transferring from Eco/Law to Grad Law/JD @ UTS once I am finish my economics component of my double degree. I haven't finished it yet :p I am in the process of finishing my LLB.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
but why? JD doesn't sound better, unless it's from a top-tier American law school.

magic

HSC
If the JD was at LLB HECS prices, would you choose the UTS LLB or UTS JD? (Assume you are eligible for entry into both)

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
hi guys, I was about to ask the same question, glad to see it has been covered here.

Just to be sure, someone with a JD (but without LLB or an undergraduate law degree) can practice Law in Australia with no problem at all right?

Last edited:
HSC
I was thinking of doing this degree after finishing BBusiness but got turned off by the fact that it's full fee. Probably stick to the normal Graduate Law if I get the marks.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
dyun said:
hi guys, I was about to ask the same question, glad to see it has been covered here.

Just to be sure, someone with a JD (but without LLB or an undergraduate law degree) can practice Law in Australia with no problem at all right?
Yep JD is just another post-grad name for LLB as it is shorter being 3 years, you only need any undergrad degree.

http://datasearch.uts.edu.au/law/courses/details.cfm?spk_cd=C04236&spk_ver_no=1

Additional admission requirements:
Applicants require a Bachelor's degree in a discipline other than law. Completion of a Bachelor's degree alone does not guarantee entry into this course. Admission is at the discretion of the Associate Dean (Teaching and Learning).

Professional recognition:
Supreme Court of NSW

This course satisfies the requirements for admission as a lawyer, provided students undertake the optional PLT in the final semesters.

Last edited:

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
If I'm going to pay more for a 'doctoral' degree, it better put the letters d and r in front of my name, dammit.
It does.
It's just that in the US, it is not the custom for legal practitioners to call them selves "Doctor Bloggs".

But you do see it post-nominally - that is, you see "Joe Bloggs JD" nearly as often as you see "Joe Bloggs PhD".

Although I do wonder what they LLDs will think...

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Timbo650 said:
It does.
It's just that in the US, it is not the custom for legal practitioners to call them selves "Doctor Bloggs".

But you do see it post-nominally - that is, you see "Joe Bloggs JD" nearly as often as you see "Joe Bloggs PhD".

Although I do wonder what they LLDs will think...
The JD isn't a doctoral degree so you cannot use "Dr".

If you want to put a "Dr" in your name, you'd have to complete a PhD or an SJD (Doctor of Juridical Science) degree. The SJD is a professional law doctorate.

LLD (Doctor of Laws) is an honorary degree conferred by an academic institution to (usually an older) individual with years of experience and life achievement. Many LLD recipients don't necessarily have a previous undergard or postgrad law degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)