LLM in England - wanted London, got London, but Oxford keeps whispering (1 Viewer)

capa

HSC
Hi everyone,

Since second year, it has been my dream to study for an LLM in London. It has always been London. I want to be an academic or work in the Commonwealth public service. I recently graduated with a first in law, am published, seasonals etc etc.

So I started applying only to the golden triangle schools - King's College, UCL, LSE and Oxford. I stupidly forgot Cambridge!!!! (but will try to get a late application in). Got the scholarship and funding all sorted as well.

I got an offer from King's College which was my first choice London school. I notice heaps of top academics, barristers, partners etc with first class LLB's also chose London (some went as early as 1970!). I think they could have got into Oxford/Cambridge, but chose London instead.

If I go to London instead of Oxford, do you think I will be making a mistake? Is this just typical legal snobbery at its worst?

Either way, an LLM from a big 3 London school would be awesome. But that silly prestige factor we law students have grown to hate (and love!) has arisen yet again.

Thanks

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Both the LLM (Cantab) and BCL programs are highly regarded as you point out. The constituent unis of the University of London are in high regard also, and have great teaching programs - the only thing they lack is the overall prestige factor. From what I can tell though, if you make it into Cambridge, Oxford, or the UoL (and do well), you're set. I wouldn't stress too much.

May I ask how you'll be paying for your masters? I would like to do one in England, but find the costs rather restrictive.

A good site for you to check out would be http://www.llm-guide.com

capa

HSC
I know costs are restrictive!

There are heaps and heaps of scholarships out there and, thankfully, one came through. I will still be out of pocket though....

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
What area of the law will you be doing in your LLM? Is it via coursework or research?

capa

HSC
Probably international IP law - copyright.

The course structure in England are coursework subjects following by a research thesis.

The LLM by research as we have here is known as a MPhil but it is 2 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)