• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Local Aussie students to be taught basic English (1 Viewer)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
lala2 said:
I third Pwar on this one. I'm a little surprised it's so high at 90% (would've thought it'd be around 70-80%) but then again I doubt they used international students for this. Haven't you had a foreign lecturer or student that wrote perfect English yet could hardly speak a word? I've encountered quite a few, and that's because the way they were trained (and which we ought to be trained by) is written, then spoken, not the other way around.
90% is obviously bullshit.

nutting

HSC
the_avec said:
I find that no matter how intelligent an asian is they can never fully grasp english grammar. This refers to the ones that I know.
An interesting observation: Let me analyse:

Suppostion1) You don't know that many Asians
Suppostion2) You think your grammar is perfect , and others are wrong
Suppostion3) You've been watching too many Kung Fu films.

Now which is it?

billbro

HSC
N/A
the_avec said:
I find that no matter how intelligent an asian is they can never fully grasp english grammar. This refers to the ones that I know.
That's rather subjective and arbitrary, but I suppose most comments are similar. I doubt most people Asian or otherwise fully grasp English grammar. Also, wouldn't you think that the environment and upbringing has a greater impact on a person's ability to "fully" understand a language rather than ethnicity?

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
nutting said:
An interesting observation: Let me analyse:

Suppostion1) You don't know that many Asians
Suppostion2) You think your grammar is perfect , and others are wrong
Suppostion3) You've been watching too many Kung Fu films.

Now which is it?
For someone who gets all gung ho on people for stereotyping (as seen in other threads), you seem to make a fair few assumptions yourself.

I actually agree with him, these Asians speak almost perfect English, but make strange little errors here and there. The thing is, people will do this in ANY language that isn't their mother tongue, so, yeah.

billbro

HSC
N/A
black_kat_meow said:
I actually agree with him, these Asians speak almost perfect English, but make strange little errors here and there. The thing is, people will do this in ANY language that isn't their mother tongue, so, yeah.
Is that to say that non-Asians don't make any little errors here and there? Isn't it rather myopic to say that simply because someone is Asian it is impossible for them to grasp the complexities of the English language? Most people will probably make minor mistakes regardless of whether it is their mother tongue, they are just more prone to them if it isn't.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
billbro said:
Is that to say that non-Asians don't make any little errors here and there? Isn't it rather myopic to say that simply because someone is Asian it is impossible for them to grasp the complexities of the English language? Most people will probably make minor mistakes regardless of whether it is their mother tongue, they are just more prone to them if it isn't.
Um, I wasn't saying it was just Asians, it happens with all people who don't have it as a mother tongue. People shouldn't be making these mistakes in speech though if it's their mother tongue, unless it has specific intent, or to be funny or something. Writing is another area.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
billbro said:
No idea who you are, but whatever makes you happy.
You don't know me. But I do know you.

billbro

HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
You don't know me. But I do know you.
I never realised I had a stalker, but this really has no bearing to the thread. Feel free to PM me, whether I bother to reply is another matter though.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
billbro said:
I never realised I had a stalker, but this really has no bearing to the thread. Feel free to PM me, whether I bother to reply is another matter though.
I don't need you to tell me to feel free.
I already am free. I am free to know your deepest and most hidden secrets, yet you are not even free enough to know who I am.

Your financial advice is equally as mediocre as your gaming skills and forum arguments.

billbro

HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
I don't need you to tell me to feel free.
I already am free. I am free to know your deepest and most hidden secrets, yet you are not even free enough to know who I am.

Your financial advice is equally as mediocre as your gaming skills and forum arguments.
Frankly, I couldn't care less about who you are. Not sure what reality you are in, but you certainly aren't free to know what you aren't privy to.

I'm not a financial advisor, so I don't go about offering financial advice in the first place. No idea what grievances you have with my gaming skills, but at least they were sufficient enough that an Australian video game distributor asked me to be a forum moderator and regional community manager.

Anyway, I don't see the point in continuing this any further.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
billbro said:
Frankly, I couldn't care less about who you are. Not sure what reality you are in, but you certainly aren't free to know what you aren't privy to.

No idea what grievances you have with my gaming skills, but at least they were sufficient enough that an Australian video game distributor asked me to be a forum moderator and regional community manager.

Anyway, I don't see the point in continuing this any further.
Don't be offended. Don't get defensive.
Embrace the fact that you have somebody watching over you. Guiding you. Who else can inspire you?

I am privy to every nuance of your existence. Test me.

Last edited:

billbro

HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
Don't be offended. Don't get defensive.
Embrace the fact that you have somebody watching over you. Guiding you. Who else can inspire you?

I am privy to every nuance of your existence. Test me.
Couldn't resist, one last reply. Maybe second last.

PwC or KPMG? You should know what I mean seeing as you are privy to every nuance of my existence.

Might want to remind me about my current research task too.

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
billbro said:
Couldn't resist, one last reply.
You say you don't feel the need, or see the point in continuing this any further. Yet you must. You must know more, you feel uncomfortable in knowing that somebody knows you to the extent of knowing your innermost thoughts. Yet you have doubts, surely you would have doubts. It must be some sort of prank. Right? Wrong.

billbro

HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
You say you don't feel the need, or see the point in continuing this any further. Yet you must. You must know more, you feel uncomfortable in knowing that somebody knows you to the extent of knowing your innermost thoughts. Yet you have doubts, surely you would have doubts. It must be some sort of prank. Right? Wrong.
True, true... I couldn't resist the bait. That'll be all though, you might want to gamble on an answer seeing as it is 50/50.

Shenzi said:
gusie can you have your lovefest like, via PM or something :rolleyes:
Lovefest sounds rather creepy. Anyway, won't be derailing the thread any further, apologies.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
billbro said:
PwC or KPMG?
Reply Hazy, Try Again.

I thought I would humour you. It's been so long since I last interacted with you.

Ask something relevant.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)