locus and parametrics q (1 Viewer)

Nelly_04

HSC
hi can anyone help me with this question pls

P, Q are two variable points t, 2t on x=4ay. TP, TQ are tangents from P and Q respectively. Show that the locus of T is 2x=9ay.

also...would anyone be able to explain wat a locus actually is:confused:

thanx

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
i liked parametrics...but LOCUS Q's in parametrics are way up the scale...when i asked my maths teacher about the likleyness of locus Q's in 3u paper...he said its not likely...but of course we cant gurantee...Q 6- 7 are always there :s

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
luckily they were not in there last year, i don't think? i hate these.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
I hate locus questions

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
KeypadSDM, you are not right in assuming that the t and 2t are the x co-ordinates of P and Q, they are the parameters that describe P and Q. Thus, the (admittadely) unclear question means:

P(2at, at^2) and Q(4at, 4at^2) are two points on the parabola x^2 = 4ay. The tangents at P and Q meet at T. Show that the locus of T is 2x^2 = 9ay.

Solution Method: Start with a diagram. P and Q must lie in the sam quadrant, and Q is twice as far from the y-axis as P. Draw tangents at P and Q. They meet at T. We need to find the co-ordinates of T in terms of the parameter T, and then eliminate t to get an equation in x and y for the locus of T.

If x^2 = 4ay, then it is easy to show that y' = x / 2a

At P, m(tang) = t and the equation of PT is y = tx - at^2
At Q, m(tang) = 2t and the equation of QT is y = 2tx - 4at^2

Solving these simultaneously, we get that the co-ordinates of T are (3at, 2at^2).

To find the locus of T, we need to eliminate t from the equations x = 3at, y = 2at^2

Rearranging the first, we get t = x / 3a, and substituting we get y = 2a(x / 3a)^2 = 2ax^2 / 9a^2.

Thus, 9ay = 2x^2, as required.

fwuxed

Channeling Ki
HSC
if they ask you P and Q or something like that, always assume their points are P(2ap,ap^2) , Q(2aq,aq^2)

once you got that, try to manipulate the equation to suit the purpose, ie. finding the intersection between the two tangents at that point, and then after you're done, sub in the original values that they give you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)