locus (1 Viewer)

xeriphic

okai simple question but the wording gets me confused XD, find the locus if its distance from the y-axis is three times the distance from the x-axis

would this be 3y=x or y=3x

also

point p(x,y) is the locus of a point moves in such a way that its distance from a(3,1) is always twice its distance from b(-2,7)

wouls this be pa = 2pb or 2pa = pb thanks

tennille

HSC
For the first one, i think its y= 3x coz if u sub in x= 1, then y=3... and so on. So the line is 3 times the distance than the x axis...i know what you mean when u say its confusing. Just try and draw both, and see which one fits hte question.

xeriphic

hmm it's from that orange textbook the 3U one, ahhhhhh I've been on this question for so long now

tennille

HSC
oh yeah, for it should be 2PB= PA. coz PA is twice the distance of PB.

xeriphic

lol okai I get the distance one, if you apply the same concept to the x and y one would be what you concluded before, but >>>>>>>>>> possible wrong answer in the textbook maybe ??

tennille

HSC
no, the book is right.... x= 3y. When y= 1, x= 3...its weird. Coz u have to think about it this way- when x= 3 and y= 1, it is three units from the y axis and one usit from the x axis. Its confusing coz of the x and ys

tennille

HSC
maybe draw it on a piece of paper and ull see. I hate locus. It's the worst topic.

xeriphic

blah I get it now lol when I drew it on paper hmm ahhhhh I hope we don't get that, thanks for the help

tennille

HSC
now i know how much i need to study for that...hope i did help you. Good luck for the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)