Lodhi found guilty - first terrorism conviction (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
syera said:
What exactly do the Jews have to do with this thread?
No one cares who u will be in support of anyway, as if ur dumb support would make a difference.
-- AND obviously i dont think innocent people or children should be killed, AND ISLAM does not allow the killing of innocent people or children either. How would you know if he was planning to do that anyway? because the media said so?

i refuse to believe that he is guilty, i guess i will never know.
I believe he is guilty based on the fact that twelve completely different people from different backgrounds and ways of life decided, based on hard evidence, that there was absolutely no reasonable doubt that this man was guilty. What's your assumption based on? The fact that he calls himself a Muslim?

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
banco55 said:
Given that jury deliberations went on for 5 days it seems llike it was a close call. But given the totality of the evidence I think they were right to convict. It seems very coincidental that this guy has HANDWRITTEN bomb recipes etc., uses false names to try and acquire chemicals that have bomb making as one of their possible uses, jihadist videos, the electrical grid map etc. and contact with a known terrorist. The problem is assume these laws weren't in place ASIO can't keep him under surveillance ad infinitum. If he was a non-national we could just deport this idiot. Frankly I wish we could strip this idiot of his citizenship after he's finished his jail term and deport him back to Pakistan.
He sought chemical prices, not purchase. They ALLEGED he had contact with Willie Birgitte(I think that's how you spell it), but all they did was accuse with no backing. Since the wording of the article suggests it wasn't taken as evidence, I'll assume it's untrue. Bomb recipes and images from the internet. Lol.

Do you even know what Jihad is?

What do you mean about the surveillance? I didn't know they needed a warrant or laws to survey people who appear in public.

And really, I'd like more information on this case to actually see what the evidence was. I mean, a news article doesn't give me much to work on. They aren't specific with what chemical prices he inquired about. They could be common chemicals or very uncommon, we just don't know.

Although, I think AUSTLII would have the case details but I'm too lazy to check it out. :p

banco55

HSC
Yeah they alleged it and the jury seems to have accepted that he did beyond a reasonable doubt:

"Lodhi has been named by the French terrorist suspect Willie Brigitte as the Australian contact for the al-Qaeda-linked group."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...ed-drinking-tea/2004/12/16/1102787217303.html

"Lodhi came under intense scrutiny after investigators discovered his connection with French terror suspect Willie Brigitte.
The pair conversed on mobile phones registered under false names and Lodhi helped find accommodation for Brigitte when he arrived in Sydney in May 2003, the jury heard."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10119,19520013,00.html

"The jury was told that while all 10 chemicals could be used to make detergents, eight could be used to make explosives, including urea nitrate."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10119,19520013,00.html

As for the jihad material:

Lodhi must have thought it was incriminating because he denied it was his. They don't say specifically what was on the jihad CD.

What I meant by the ASIO surveillance was that surely even you'd have to concede that given all this material at the very least ASIO should be keeping him under surveillance if they hadn't charged him. ASIO has finite resources and I'd assume can't keep people under surveillance 24/7 indefinetly. Do you wait until he's actually bought the chemicals and is mixinig them or do you wait until he's actually going to plant the bomb before you decide to arrest him?

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
Either, which have not happened. I'd rather know for a fact he was willing to do it by even the simpliest act of him buying any of those chemicals. Would you be more convinced if he bought a single chemical substance which was harmless by itself and that was all he did for a long while?

I never said they shouldn't survey him. Infact, I'd prefer they did for a little longer until he bought something. Are you guilty of murder if you only think it and make no plans?

(Thanks for the small bit of debate. :D)

K

katie_tully

I'm so glad all of you know just how much evidence there was against Lodhi. Because you guys read it in a newspaper, or because you were present at the trial? Or maybe you somehow obtained a transcript with the complete list of evidence?

I don't quite know, but since you all happen to be experts on what constitutes as a potential terrorist or what doesn't, I wonder why this discussion continues.
Or maybe you're all dribbling again.

Those of you defending him on the grounds of 'lack of evidence' maybe need to stop and consider the fact that you don't know anything, you werent present at the trial and therefore lack sufficient evidence to discuss and disregard the extent of the evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
And if you actually read the thread, I've stated that I would've liked to see all the evidence. Random accusing eh.

K

katie_tully

I mentioned no names in my post. Guilty conscience perhaps?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It's possible that he's innocent, but it's much more likely that he is guilty. You have to realise there's things in this case that decided its fate that were perhaps not mentioned... for instance when asked about his connection with that terrorist, did he have a decent story to defend himself with? If not then that's the sort of thing I can imagine for me personally would be quite damaging on its own.

If you,

- Have a decently close relationship with a terrorist.
- Have been acting suspiciously.
- Have bought materials that could be used (and have previously been used) in terrorist activities.

Chances are if you don't have a good explanation for all these things, then you're probably guilty - or at least should be found guilty until more evidence can be shown to redeem you.

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
I mentioned no names in my post. Guilty conscience perhaps?
Funny how I'm the only one who is really debating his innocence and that your comment was towards those defending based on evidence stated in the news article. I don't see anyone else doing that.

melb22

HSC
N/A
this guy is suppose to be from the laskar-e-toiba. This terrorist group is responsible for the death of 200 innocent civilians by 7 simultaneous bomb blast in trains in mumbai that happened yesterday. This same group has had hands in several other terrorist bomb blasts in India in the past. Scum like this one if proven guilty should not come out of the jail, ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)