Logic Circuits (1 Viewer)

Doogsy

I just looked at Q25 in 2001 hsc and it talks about designing a logic circuit. A read a little about this in sams book, with the boolean algerbra ect. Are we really expected to know this, and all the rules for boolean algerbra?

EDIT: I just realised how easy the question in the paper was. So to alter my question, how much should we know about designing our own circuits?

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
If you did this option topic then yes. See the syllabus for what is exactly required of you.

gabn

HSC
I think we are expected to know what each logic gates does.... i haven't seen or used the term boolean algerbra ??!?

Doogsy

you need to use boolean algerbra to construct more complicated curcuits, but in sams book he says this is 'extension' and out of the course, yet on the independant trial, you were required to know it. There are too many contradictions and the sylabus is too vauge, not only in this area but all of SDD, with points such as "Learn about FlipFlops" But how much are we sposed to learn about them? where do we stop? Same goes with the circuits, how much do we need to know? I always thought designing our own circuits was out of the sylabus, well at least hard ones anyway, but:
design a circuit to solve a given problem and use a truth table to verify the design
does not tell you how hard of a circuit you need to design

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
The complexity of a circuit based purely on logic gates can only be so diffcult when it needs to be done in a reasonable amount of time - if the circuit is larger it doesn't mean designing it is any harder - the end circuit is just more complicated.

The entire process of going from boolean algebra to circuit is a mechanical process, with no tricks in between.

Yes, the syllabus may be vague in some respects - if you think that is the case then I suggest you use different sources to gauge the level of detail required.

I would think here, that a design question in the HSC would not be particularly difficult. Have you ever seen any circuit design questions involving flip flops, state diagrams or to build a sequential circuit? If not, then its likely this is not required of you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)