lol help? (1 Viewer)

ghudshifjhwijnc

HSC
N/A
hi so im not sure if this is the correct thread n all but to all my eco students was just wondering how do u guys write ur extended response n like essays? not quite sure what to include in my introduction (teachers at my school were like oh u shouldn't put all ur ideas in ur intro n should keep it simple and concise) but im just finding that confusing because its so different to english, also are we supposed to like define the key terms in the intro? Do we HAVE to?? and also in the body paragraphs im not 100% sure what to include if that even makes sense. Like how many statistics and like how many diagrams are we supposed to include?

thank u for anything haha :)

sab13562

HSC
Hey,
Fellow eco student here. My teacher marks the HSC so he recommends having one little paragraph (2-4 sentences) with statistics in any essay. The more you use throughout the better as it shows the marker you are well informed and able to back up your claims. I recommend memorising trends in exchange rate, interest rate, inflation, and so on. As for diagrams, try to include at least one but around 3 is better. Introductions are usually definition and just an little summary/overview. So like for globalisation essay, you could mention in your intro:

- Definition of globalisation,
-Removal of trade barriers such as....
- Indicators,
- And then something like despite advantages it has consequences such as.....

For body paragraphs, syllabus dotpoints are a good guide, you can use your textbook too or look at sample eco essays if your really stuck. Also, make sure you have a bit of theory (this is where graphs come in like aggregate demand or even formulas) The main thing is that your ideas flow and address the question.

Best of luck!

nourished.

HSC
hi so im not sure if this is the correct thread n all but to all my eco students was just wondering how do u guys write ur extended response n like essays? not quite sure what to include in my introduction (teachers at my school were like oh u shouldn't put all ur ideas in ur intro n should keep it simple and concise) but im just finding that confusing because its so different to english, also are we supposed to like define the key terms in the intro? Do we HAVE to?? and also in the body paragraphs im not 100% sure what to include if that even makes sense. Like how many statistics and like how many diagrams are we supposed to include?

To be honest, don't sweat the small stuff. There really isn't a magic structure or exact number of stats or perfect introduction. Just remember, your goal is to answer the essay question. And if you need 2 statistics to prove your argument, then just provide two of them. If you need x diagram to prove your point, then draw it in. Again, don't sweat the small stuff.

Nonetheless here are some general guidelines:
  • Intro almost always starts with a definition. Then spend the next few lines talking about your main arguments. Then, add in a recent statistic or event that is relevant to the thing you defined.
  • Body paragraphs. Don't be afraid to split your body paragraphs. Heck, use subheadings if you must. Include diagrams where necessary, eg philips curve, AS curve, PPF, etc. Draw one if it's relevant, and don't draw one if it isn't. Use statistics where they prove your theory. Eg your theory might be talking about how monetary policy could be used to reduce cyclical unemployment, and your statistic would just be the change in cash rate and unemployment rate.
  • Conclusion gives brownie points. The psychology behind it is that it tells your teacher you finished on time. It tricks your teacher into thinking your essay is whole and complete, when really it might not actually be.
Hope this helps, feel free to reply if you have more questions.

satvik_1008

HSC

in terms of intro, all I do is have a brief sentence that explains my thesis, and then basically a summary of what my arguments are

for bodies, in terms of stats and graphs, I try put in literally as many as you can, the more the better honestly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)