Long Answer Question Help Please! (1 Viewer)

ChocoWarrior

HSC
Hi, what would i write and how would i layout my answer to the following question if i wish to get full marks for it?

"The work of Scientists is influenced by external factors." Do you agree? Justify your answer by reference to the work of a scientist involved in the development of large-scale electricity distribution systems.

Have been given 1 whole page (HSC lines/spacing 1 page) and it is worth 7 marks.

Thanks in advance :)

pinkie_pie

HSC
You'd best hope Mr. M doesn't look up these questions, because I think he might object.

DrWooper

HSC
Research nikola telsa That should get you full marks.
He was a very intricate man.

pinkie_pie

HSC
Well, he needs to justify the statement 'The work of scientists is influenced by external factors' by referencing a scientist involved in large-scale electricity distribution systems.
The money is probably on Westinghouse or Edison, as the syllabus outcome says in Physics, and I imagine you'd have to talk about what happened between them, particularly
Edisons attempts to stop AC from overtaking DC as the more popular thing.
But, as Mr M has been trying to teach us, work up from identify, so identify the scientist and their work, and also state whether you agree or not.
Then, describe it (provide characteristics and features), so you'd talk about what they did and etcetera (either Westinghouse or Edison)
And then you'd explain it (Justify being an Analysis verb on Bloom's Taxonomy), which is either
a) Relate cause and effect
b) Give how and/or why
c) Make the relationships evident.
You can figure that part out for yourself depending on which line you choose. But you'd probably show the cause and effect of the external influences. Always relate back to the question!
and, finally, the directive term, Justify. Where you'd essentially just show why what you've said is true by making a general statement on how it was affected.
Enjoy, and try to pay attention in class next time.

ChocoWarrior

HSC
Thankyou! I do listen, but DHill can go off topic quite a bit. :) I wasn't sure how to lay the answer out, but then we got taught yesterday. Thanks for your help once again.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, it's Westinghouse vs Edison.

Talk about their assets (Edison owned heaps of DC power stations etc) and talk about money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)