• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Long responses? (1 Viewer)

RHINO7

HSC
With a long response do we argue (like an essay) or do we just state and describe the information related to the question, to try and answer the question.

X

xeuyrawp

RHINO7 said:
With a long response do we argue (like an essay) or do we just state and describe the information related to the question, to try and answer the question.
If the question is asking you to describe (describe, account, explain, etc) something, you answer the question and describe it.

Usually, though, the long question will ask you to analyse (analyse, evaluate, assess, etc) something, in some form. This requires a thesis -- ie, an introduction, body, and conclusion.

If the longer questions ask you to describe, you still should be analysing it in some form -- maybe there is contention over the nature of something, so you could analyse the sources in order to describe it, etc?

:)

atreus

HSC
u have to esnure that u are following the directive term. a 25 marks essay will either be an evaluate, assess or discuss- it wont be a describe question. the thing about ancient history is that there are always differing views, different theories and different interpretations of the same evidence, and so the content is suited to an evaluate, discuss or assess directive term. a response should never amount to just story telling, and if u feel that u are falling into that trap, then use as much evidence as u can, both archaeological and secondary sources/opinions in your essays which will help u focus on the interpretation side of things.

however, be aware that sometimes directives wont be used. for example in last year's paper, i know that in the personalities section, one question asked "why agrippina was killed?" for 10 marks. in this case, u would just imagine it was an explain question.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
atreus said:
u have to esnure that u are following the directive term. a 25 marks essay will either be an evaluate, assess or discuss- it wont be a describe question. the thing about ancient history is that there are always differing views, different theories and different interpretations of the same evidence, and so the content is suited to an evaluate, discuss or assess directive term. a response should never amount to just story telling, and if u feel that u are falling into that trap, then use as much evidence as u can, both archaeological and secondary sources/opinions in your essays which will help u focus on the interpretation side of things.

however, be aware that sometimes directives wont be used. for example in last year's paper, i know that in the personalities section, one question asked "why agrippina was killed?" for 10 marks. in this case, u would just imagine it was an explain question.

I just analysed the directive words for last years 25 mark questions:

Assess 13
Explain 11
Evaluate 3
To what extent 1
Why 2
How 1
What 1

The last four are really interesting as they aren't on the official list of directive words but they passed the BOS standards.

RHINO7

HSC
Yes i know. It was actually a long response not an essay. It was concerning the resources of New Kingdom Egypt.

RHINO7

HSC
Doesn't matter. I received 10/10 for the LONG RESPONSE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)