Looking back on the first week (1 Viewer)

rumour

HSC
ah i see.

i think i walked past the so called "wooden" lecture theaters... between Hancock and CSIRO right? wouldn't mind having a lecture there.
Umm isn't CSIRO behind ANU? Like behind the colleges?

curlyg

HSC
Hi guys;
been a lurker here for about the last six months or so and finally decided to join up once I reached anu.

I'd say that my first week or so was pretty good. But my god there is so so so much reading to do in law.
I guess though it evens out as there is hardly anything to do in psych so it is all good.

My suggestion for parking is a) if you can, get there before 9 am or after 3 pm. Usually past these times, you can find a place. If not, sometimes driving around for about ten minutes or so looking in obscure places helps
b) otherwise, try parking at some of the free places in the suburbs around the place or in the city. For only a ten minute walk (work off lunch) it is sometimes more time efficient to just go there

I'm a townie, so I know what its like to have to go out of your way to meet new people etc. I have to say that it is a challenge (esp for someone who is as shy as me)

so if anyone else is in first year law or psych, come and say hi to me (i've got bright red hair).

:)
Pretty much in the same boat.

My experience so far has been surprisingly good - I've found people are really friendly, and even though I'm a little overwhelmed by the INSANE amounts of reading required for law, I'm quite enjoying my classes. Lectures are much less dull than I expected, and my first tutes were all great.

I've definitely found it hard to meet people. You generally don't get a chance to talk to others during lectures, there's a little room for talking during tutes but not all that much. One thing which I've noticed is that the "new to Canberra" people tend to stick together - which is making it a little difficult for us poor locals to make some friends! :p

I still haven't really met anybody that I didn't already know from high school, which bothers me a little, but I'm hoping that will just fix itself with time. :p

Last edited:

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
the Law school has a mentoring system for law students. if you find things difficult, some later year should be able to help you.

Alternatively if you live in college, there's usually an academic support network available. It's really worth it talking to some later year law student to have an idea of what the study of law is like, as well as good habits to get into early on.

dirtybird

HSC
Pretty much in the same boat.
I'm a little overwhelmed by the INSANE amounts of reading required for law,

My gosh, it is overwhelming, isn't it? I find myself getting a sore shoulder just from carrying around the textbooks, let alone actually reading them. Like the lecturer said, you'll need glasses by the time you finish torts :S

are you the one in the tues/thurs torts group session?
And woah. face to face conversation much?

cricketfan10

HSC
My gosh, it is overwhelming, isn't it? I find myself getting a sore shoulder just from carrying around the textbooks, let alone actually reading them. Like the lecturer said, you'll need glasses by the time you finish torts :S

And woah. face to face conversation much?
Lol, definitely...i was pretty sure it was you (i mean how many red heads do we have in law?) but probably a better idea to confirm first. I guess ill be seeing you on tuesday :)

curlyg

HSC
Yeah tell me about it, yesterday I had to take LDL, the torts case book and the FAL resource book all in one bag together with a laptop... Got home with a broken back :p

You wouldn't happen to be in the Tuesday 12-1 tutorial group would you?

dirtybird

HSC
Yeah tell me about it, yesterday I had to take LDL, the torts case book and the FAL resource book all in one bag together with a laptop... Got home with a broken back :p

You wouldn't happen to be in the Tuesday 12-1 tutorial group would you?
With Juliet? Uhuh :), that'd be me..

God, talk about a small world.

And I know about the FAL and torts books with a laptop! I've had to do the same thing, and it is killing me!

I have debated getting a backpack or something but I think that I am just a bit to vain...

Anyway...guess I'll see you on tuesday!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)