Looking for a laptop that likes being used over 10 hours a day..? (1 Viewer)

joshhunt

HSC
Have you both actually used a new unibody Macbook?

Your claim about command+a in a text box, every OS does that it isn't special.
Ctrl + A selects all the text in most windows in Windows... the ones that you would need to select it... same as triple click...
No, not every OS does that. That is what I am getting at. Often I have used the ctrl + a shortcut on a Windows computer, only for it to not work. I don't want that to happen. I don't want it to work in most of my OS, I want it to work in ALL of my OS. I don't want to try the shortcut, only to realise it doesn't work, and then have to try tripple clicking or whatever. The consistency of OS X is one of the things that makes it so amazing.

And the spell check feature depends on the program.
No, no it does not. By default, when a developer uses any Cocoa text field in their application, it get's spell check. It get's dictionary definitions. It gets consistency by default. The only time it depends on the program, is if the program turns it off

The trackpad, I don't see why you would need a big one and scrolling on normal trackpads is exactly the same as using a scroll wheel if you aren't retarded. Also how hard is it to click the right button on a trackpad? Not very.
If you don't see the advantage of having a trackpad as big as the Macbook's, then you obviously havent used one, and same goes with the scrolling. I know scrolling isnt new, but the fact that you can do it from anywhere on a Macbook (and in any direction) by just using two fingers blows the competition out of the water. So far, I have not seen anyone else offer anything like this. It isnt hard to click a the right button on a trackpad, but it is so much easier to right click anywhere on the trackpad using two fingers.

If you want to use a Laptop more than 10 hours a day you want to use a mouse so you don't get hand cramps....
I agree with you in that regard. You would be crazy not to use a mouse if you were going to be using it 10 hours a day. But what I was trying to get at is you are not always going to be using a mouse. You are not always going to be at a desk. When you are not, you are going to want a proper trackpad that is smooth and has enough space to move around. Once again, if you can't see the advantage of the massive, smooth multitouch trackpad, then you obviously have not used it.

Mac charges you for the equivalent for a service pack...
No. Since when did a service pack for Windows provide more features? Last time I checked, Windows service packs are just a collection of bug fixes. My system received a substantial boost from Snow Leopard, and lots of new features. I am glad I paid the $40 for it.

Your speed point, it generally depends on the hardware within. A netbook will take longer to start-up and be ready to browse than a top end laptop running the same OS, so this is not a definitive point. And without video proof of this I'm reluctant to believe your point.
Using a Linux Distro, or setting up Windows with the right configuration you can achieve this...
I bought a $3500 Windows laptop for my mother (at the same time as I bought my Macbook) and it is sluggish and takes ages to start up. Sure, I could go in and optimise settings to make it wake up faster, but I don't want to. Just like I don't want to have to guess how to select all the text in a text box (do I tripple click, or use ctrl + a?). OS X does this out of the box, regardless of how much you paid for it.

Also their are numerous problems with the magsafe power adaptor. There are currently law suits against Apple due to it being a fire risk because of it being prone to overheating and frayed wires. While there are other problems involving the plug separating from the cord, transformer shorting and the pins losing elasticity. Also foreign material may build up on the magnetic ports creating a short.
They short out easily, fall out without you noticing so in the middle of an important task they run out of battery... They're ok... the magnets are a somewhat iffy idea... seeing the amount of computer parts that are damaged by magnets....
I do recall in the past issues with Magsafe adapters, especially with the cord fraying, but it is my understanding that these issues have been fixed and resolved. I have never seen a Magsafe adapter fail or have any problems. I know of people with Macbooks from all different generations, and they have never had a problem with it. Never once has it 'accidentally' came out.

I hope you realise that computers are made from magnets. Speakers, hard drives and sometimes the latch. The magnent in the Magsafe adapter is strong enough to keep it in place and never fall out accidentally, but still be easy to remove when you want it removed.

Seriously those are all subjective or not well researched points.
Yes. Some of these are subjective, what else were you expecting? Charts and graphs proving that Macbooks are better (or worse) than other laptops? I have not researched any of these points. They all come from my experiance with Macs and my Macbook.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I do recall in the past issues with Magsafe adapters, especially with the cord fraying, but it is my understanding that these issues have been fixed and resolved. I have never seen a Magsafe adapter fail or have any problems. I know of people with Macbooks from all different generations, and they have never had a problem with it. Never once has it 'accidentally' came out.
No the magsafe problems still haven't been fixed, that is why a class action lawsuit is currently under way against Apple because they pose a fire risk.
No, not every OS does that. That is what I am getting at. Often I have used the ctrl + a shortcut on a Windows computer, only for it to not work. I don't want that to happen. I don't want it to work in most of my OS, I want it to work in ALL of my OS. I don't want to try the shortcut, only to realise it doesn't work, and then have to try tripple clicking or whatever. The consistency of OS X is one of the things that makes it so amazing.
You seem to have it in for all the other operating systems and are unaware that ctrl+a is consistent across the board. Have you ever used any Linux distro or if you have one that isn't Ubuntu?

No. Since when did a service pack for Windows provide more features? Last time I checked, Windows service packs are just a collection of bug fixes. My system received a substantial boost from Snow Leopard, and lots of new features. I am glad I paid the $40 for it.
Well yes you get more features for $40, while they don't fix bugs that should be fixed(yes Mac OS has bugs don't say that it doesn't). At least Microsoft fixes bugs when they are found and doesn't try to pretend that it is perfect.

If you don't see the advantage of having a trackpad as big as the Macbook's, then you obviously havent used one, and same goes with the scrolling. I know scrolling isnt new, but the fact that you can do it from anywhere on a Macbook (and in any direction) by just using two fingers blows the competition out of the water. So far, I have not seen anyone else offer anything like this. It isnt hard to click a the right button on a trackpad, but it is so much easier to right click anywhere on the trackpad using two fingers.
You're complaining about moving your hand, how many centimetres? About 10-20 at most just to scroll? Isn't switching from the keyboard to mouse more annoying?

I bought a $3500 Windows laptop for my mother (at the same time as I bought my Macbook) and it is sluggish and takes ages to start up. Sure, I could go in and optimise settings to make it wake up faster, but I don't want to. Just like I don't want to have to guess how to select all the text in a text box (do I tripple click, or use ctrl + a?). OS X does this out of the box, regardless of how much you paid for it.
So basically you're just saying your lazy and retarded because you don't want to optimise? facepalm.jpg

I know I haven't addressed your points in order but I don't care.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Have you both actually used a new unibody Macbook?
I've worked with one on multiple occasions... I've worked with both Macs and PCs in various formats for many years.

I just spent 5 minutes trying to find a text box in windows that doesn't have Ctrl + A... so far I have nothing in programs written for all 3 major sets of operating systems...

I agree with you in that regard. You would be crazy not to use a mouse if you were going to be using it 10 hours a day. But what I was trying to get at is you are not always going to be using a mouse. You are not always going to be at a desk. When you are not, you are going to want a proper trackpad that is smooth and has enough space to move around. Once again, if you can't see the advantage of the massive, smooth multitouch trackpad, then you obviously have not used it.
Assumptions again... just because YOU like the Mac trackpad doesn't mean everyone else should. I ALWAYS use a mouse on a Laptop unless I'm just getting it out for a few seconds to check something... but otherwise, for instance If I need to check the web... I'll just use my iPhone. When I DO use a trackpad, doesn't matter how good it is, it's still inferior to a mouse... and hence I don't care, they're all equally crap.

A service pack for Windows has included more features since Service Pack 2 for XP... registry edits, streamlining of Master boot records, streamlining of Windows Processes and Services.

Snow Leopard is a streamlining of OSX, fixing and streamlining of Firmware and adding features that SHOULD have been in it in the first place (like 64-bit, OpenCL, decent Multicore support)... the majority of what was updated was Mac's own software... not new versions of the software, just revisions. I get those for free from Microsoft Update...

Why would you EVER spend that much money on a computer? And why would you be that lazy AFTER purchasing a Laptop that expensive.

I'm trying to get my parents to use Macs because yes they are easier to use, and yes they do better out of the box... perfect for your everyday idiot.

But lots of people DON'T want that... lots of people want to be able to change basic settings. Lots of people want to be able to force a program to close without the system locking up...
Macs are good for what they do well, nothing else. Stopping trying to glorify a simple Tool to the status of "best thing for everyone" when they clearly are not...

I hope you realise that computers are made from magnets. Speakers, hard drives and sometimes the latch. The magnent in the Magsafe adapter is strong enough to keep it in place and never fall out accidentally, but still be easy to remove when you want it removed.

The magnets in computers and especially speakers (in Laptops) are shielded where they face other parts... I would at least hope so... seeing that magnets destroy both HDDs and SSDs

Yes. Some of these are subjective, what else were you expecting? Charts and graphs proving that Macbooks are better (or worse) than other laptops? I have not researched any of these points. They all come from my experiance with Macs and my Macbook.
I have worked extensively with both, and Like I said... Macs are good at what they do well, and not much else...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
About to get a new 13" after stepping on and cracking the screen of my MSI x320.
Never going atom again. It became sluggish as hell with fairly basic multitasking.

Can't spend more than 1k. The cheaper the better.

I've been looking at the HP-DV3 series at $8-900 and couple of Asus notebooks.
The HP has the best specs at that price I've found.
Don't touch HP man :(

Even if it's an extra $100 or more get a Dell or ASUS.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Toshiba Satellite Pro T130

or anything which uses the SU or UL/V processors, generally have 8+ hours battery life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)