Looking for an ATAR estimate (1 Viewer)

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Hey guys, I recently received my overall ranks for a lot of my subjects and am looking for an ATAR estimate. I am really hoping to get over 98, but think that may be a bit unrealistic. Here are my marks and ranks:
School Rank: ~230 in 2018, ~180 in 2017
(Subject/Trial Mark/Overall Rank)

English Advanced: 75/100, 8/30, (Independent Trial)
Maths Extension 1: 69/70, 1/5 (Independent Trial)
Maths Extension 2: 96/100, 1/1 (Independent Trial)
Physics: 91/100, 1/6 (Exam Choice)
Chemistry: 89/100, 1/5 (Exam Choice)
Japanese Beginners: 91/100, 2/10 (Not Sure)

Both the maths exams had nothing taken out, while physics and chem both had 3/4 of mod 8 taken out. In English my trial rank was actually 5th, but a take home video task at the start of the year as well as a take home mod C task dragged my rank down a bit. I also think the trial was marked quite harshly for English, as the top mark was only 83 with 2nd, 3rd and 4th only getting about 76 or 77, and our school normally gets 2 or 3 band 6s in english. I am also hoping for Japanese to not count towards my ATAR. Thanks in advance for any responses.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Should be possible to get the 98+ 99+ will probably depend a lot on the English mark

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Should be possible to get the 98+ 99+ will probably depend a lot on the English mark
Thanks for the response, English is a huge pain for me lol. What mark in English do you think will sufficiently drag me up enough for the 99, if I were to get 90+ for physics and chem, which I am hoping to do?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the response, English is a huge pain for me lol. What mark in English do you think will sufficiently drag me up enough for the 99, if I were to get 90+ for physics and chem, which I am hoping to do?
I think you are similar to a friend I had when I did my hsc. He got like low band 6 phys, band 6 engineering studies, a solid band 6 in extension 2 math, and like 99 or 98 in extension 1 math. He just scraped Band 6 in English because he got like 93 or 92 exam mark, which lifted up his 87/88 assssmnet mark. He ended up with a 99.1 or 99.2 something like that

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
This is based upon the fact that we expect your Maths to carry you hard. Seeing as you have already state ranked, you should be able to get 96+ in 4u and 99/100 in 3u which will carry your atar really well.

One thing that concerns me is your Physics and Chemistry being from exam choice. Prepare well for HSC because I've seen many exam choice physics trials and they are way easier than the HSC.

However yeah I reckon your in for a great atar! Well done

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
One thing you gotta be real careful with is the 4 unit, since you are the only student doing it, so whatever your external is will be your internal. You should do well but with math there is always the concern of silly mistakes. So do your best to make sure you are on your game especially for that exam

TheOnePheeph

HSC
This is based upon the fact that we expect your Maths to carry you hard. Seeing as you have already state ranked, you should be able to get 96+ in 4u and 99/100 in 3u which will carry your atar really well.

One thing that concerns me is your Physics and Chemistry being from exam choice. Prepare well for HSC because I've seen many exam choice physics trials and they are way easier than the HSC.

However yeah I reckon your in for a great atar! Well done
Thank you very much:). I'm actually hoping to get the state rank in 4u maths again this year, which will be a 100, but I need to iron out my accuracy as in my trial all the mistakes I made were really stupid errors (stuff like forgetting to square root the modulus and drawing force diagrams wrong). And yeah with the physics exam choice paper ours was actually fairly tricky this year, harder than the independent imo, having a 9 marker on something super obscure (describing how they maintain and observe orbits referring to conservation of energy and all of Kepler's 3 laws). The calculations were really easy though. Chem wasn't too bad, just similarly to maths I made really stupid errors lol.

Last edited:

TheOnePheeph

HSC
One thing you gotta be real careful with is the 4 unit, since you are the only student doing it, so whatever your external is will be your internal. You should do well but with math there is always the concern of silly mistakes. So do your best to make sure you are on your game especially for that exam
Yeah I'm really hoping to state rank in 4u but stupid mistakes have always been there to screw me up lol, and it worries me that my external mark is literally all that matters, as if I have a bad day it will heavily impact my overall atar. I've been doing past BOS trials and have generally been getting high 60s to low 70s so I'm feeling good, but if they pull something like the geometry question last year it might throw me a bit haha o_O

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I'm really hoping to state rank in 4u but stupid mistakes have always been there to screw me up lol, and it worries me that my external mark is literally all that matters, as if I have a bad day it will heavily impact my overall atar. I've been doing past BOS trials and have generally been getting high 60s to low 70s so I'm feeling good, but if they pull something like the geometry question last year it might throw me a bit haha o_O
Hopefully you do :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)