looking for an elective in the faculty of science (1 Viewer)

HSC
I was looking for an elective in the faculty of science in semester 2- (mostly something that was more breezy as my other units are quite heavy and it would be nice to have a "down time" subject).

The courses available for me to do are:

BIOL1002
Living Systems
GEOS1002
Introductory Geography
HPSC1000
Bioethics
PSYC1002
Psychology 1002

I also had another question is it possible to do electives from another faculty such as from the health sciences?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Would definitely recommend GEOS1002.

thebigticket

HSC
Id recommend PSYC1002 and BIOL1002

I didnt do living systems but my human bio tutor said it was pretty good
depends what major u want from your BSc

PSYC1002 was pretty easy for me , u just need to get a grasp of the concepts from the lectures
The final exam is 100 multiple choice with 5 ans for each qs

BIOL units would probably be more difficult as u will also have to attend pracs which are interesting but can be time consuming esp if u live far away

Hatake88

HSC
PSYC1002 gets another vote. Just memorise all the lecture slides and you should be fine.

Sojazz

HSC
N/A
I did both living systems and psyc 1002 in second semester this year - with living systems being my 'elective' type subject (I needed psyc for second year). Personally I found living systems quite easy provided you kept up to date with the lecture content. It's divided into 3 areas: animals, plants and ecology. Animals was very similar to HSC bio and first semester bio subjects (I did human bio and even though they talked about animals, the concepts were basically the same) so that required very little extra effort. Plants (for me anyway) was not very hard, just a bit dull (but then again for people interested in it that would be different). Ecology was pretty much memorising some conservation stratagies etc. The course was really well organised with lots of little assessments throughout the semester meaning that the final exam wasn't worth too much. The pracs were also well structured and generally interesting.

Psyc 1002 was very interesting but I found it much harder to stay on track with. I kept falling behind in lectures which made it hard to catch up study wise in terms of the final exam. The exam itself was worth a lot and even though it was multiple choice - it's written by psychologists haha! The assignment was worth a lot and I (along with many other people) really struggled with it. So in terms of difficulty I would rate this as the harder subject. However, bear in mind I have a biology background and psyc was brand new to me.

If you're doing psyc 1001 in first semester you'll probably have a good idea of whether you find it an easy(ish) subject or not. Psyc 1002 is almost identical to that except for different content and a different format of assignment. Personally, I'd go for living systems - I really enjoyed that course despite only choosing it as a 'fill in' subject.

Hope that helped!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I was looking for an elective in the faculty of science in semester 2- (mostly something that was more breezy as my other units are quite heavy and it would be nice to have a "down time" subject).

The courses available for me to do are:

BIOL1002
Living Systems
GEOS1002
Introductory Geography
HPSC1000
Bioethics
PSYC1002
Psychology 1002

I also had another question is it possible to do electives from another faculty such as from the health sciences?
GEOS1002 is breezy as imho. I found it much easier than any of my other first year subjects (so comparing to maths/chem/bio).

Living Systems, would not recommend unless you like what's in it. If you don't like plants/ecology stuff you'll hate the unit. It's not the easiest bio unit (they'd be the first sem ones). But it's a lot, lot easier than MBLG though for second sem options in bio though :p

Lacquer

HSC
There's also PHYS1500 (Astronomy). No background in physics expected, pic heavy lectures, easy labs and laidback tutorials that were more like discussions than anything. Though if you don't like learning about star formation and the universe, etc. you might find it a little boring.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There's also PHYS1500 (Astronomy). No background in physics expected, pic heavy lectures, easy labs and laidback tutorials that were more like discussions than anything. Though if you don't like learning about star formation and the universe, etc. you might find it a little boring.
I know many people found PHYS1500 a fun elective. And quite easy to get a D in, even though none of them had physics backgrounds at all :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)