Looking for Study Notes and Tips on 2014 HSC (1 Viewer)

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi All,

I just entered year 12 and I'm quite apprehensive. Im nervous, more so Im scared. I am not managing my time effectively. Does anyone have study tips, or a study schedule they can share ?

If anyone has notes on the following -
Adv Eng
Hospitality
Senior Science
CAFS
Society and Culture
Gen Maths

They would like to offer, it would life a huge weight off my shoulders, and Im sure the shoulders of others.
Please. Thankyou ! :)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Everyone has different commitments, ways to study etc so it would be better off creating a study plan that meets YOUR needs. I would aim for around 2-3 PRODUCTIVE hours of study a day, but obviously increase this as exams approach.

For adv, finish your creative in the 6 week holidays and improve it throughout the year. By the time the hsc comes, you would've used it in your half yearlies and trials and improved it with the feedback given, i think this is vital.

For general, just make sure you keep up to date with hw, when you start falling behind it gets really bad because you don't understand the content that follows. PAST PAPERS !!! Just do heaps of these and keep handing them up to your teachers.

For cafs, work more on your exam technique and doing past papers, the content is very general so if you go blank in the exam you can just logically work it out. I have a comprehensive set of notes but they won't be free, i'm looking at a mark of 97+ so i don't exactly want to give them away. You can find free notes in the resources section but i found they aren't that good. Also, try and start your IRP as soon as possible, get your data collected before the holidays and don't cram the whole task in the last two weeks.

Hope this heaps

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone has different commitments, ways to study etc so it would be better off creating a study plan that meets YOUR needs. I would aim for around 2-3 PRODUCTIVE hours of study a day, but obviously increase this as exams approach.

For adv, finish your creative in the 6 week holidays and improve it throughout the year. By the time the hsc comes, you would've used it in your half yearlies and trials and improved it with the feedback given, i think this is vital.

For general, just make sure you keep up to date with hw, when you start falling behind it gets really bad because you don't understand the content that follows. PAST PAPERS !!! Just do heaps of these and keep handing them up to your teachers.

For cafs, work more on your exam technique and doing past papers, the content is very general so if you go blank in the exam you can just logically work it out. I have a comprehensive set of notes but they won't be free, i'm looking at a mark of 97+ so i don't exactly want to give them away. You can find free notes in the resources section but i found they aren't that good. Also, try and start your IRP as soon as possible, get your data collected before the holidays and don't cram the whole task in the last two weeks.

Hope this heaps
Such great ideas ! Thankyou !! If youre thinking of selling your notes, send me a message please ! Also, if you do any of the subjects listed above id love to purchase your notes for them as well !!!! Thankyou :)

jadiskris

HSC
This is a great advice! Thank you!

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Study tips -

Start assessments ASAP, start planning them at least so you know what you are doing
Make time for revision, even if its only 1-2 hours a week, it will all add up!
Make your study area neat and tidy (or how you like it) before you get down to business (and defeat the huns!), or else you will get distracted and end up wasting a lot of time
Get of BoS (haha)
Take regular breaks so you aren't too stressed
Prioritise your work in order of importance, so you don't do lower priority tasks first and end up in a pit of frustration as you realise your assignment is due in two days

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Study Tips I'm working off

1. Study consistently
2. Do maths homework everyday (wish it was possible)
3. Don't be afraid to enjoy and go out
4. Be a sickcunt

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Having just finished the HSC, I know exactly how you feel-I too felt incredibly nervous and scared when I started year 12-and now that I have finished it, I know that such apprehension is fully justified-because the workload, if you want to do well, is simply immense and most times overwhelming, to avoid repeating the advice given above, my top tips would be that although purchasing notes from other people can relieve you of stress, but it can often mean you become more lazy-and most subjects, rote learning will get you so far, the difference between a band 6 and a band 5 is a band 6 knows how to apply the knowledge-and to do that, you often need to develop a personal understanding of the topic-so perhaps consider have a go at making notes yourself-particularly you have an upcoming 6 week summer holidays, plenty of time to catch up and get ahead-because your own understanding will shine through and you will reap the efforts you put in-no set of notes will guarantee you a band 6-because if you think deeply, these notes were written by the people for themselves-so everyone has the capacity to write notes potentially of band 6 quality-you just got to put the effort in 2) remember to sleep well and be healthy-if you get sick right before the exam, it is no use if you had studied 100 times more, your performance will not reflect your knowledge 3) ask teachers, ask tutors, ask past students-for advice, study tips and anything you don't understand about your subjects 4)be willing to put in the amount of work required to get the marks you want-there is no short cut for hard work 5)the last, but perhaps most important tip, if you haven't, try to find a sincere passion for the subjects you are studying in, because if you have passion, it will get you much further than if you simply blindly worked hard without appreciating the reason you were studying their subjects in the first place 6) try to study for yourself, and not for other people's expectations... I wish you the best of luck and don't be afraid/nervous-you will find year 12 to be the most exciting as well as the most difficult year of your high school life, embrace the challenge and you will come out a stronger, resilient person-you will be fine:)

bec3

HSC
Hi there! I took adv english, cafs and sac so whilst I don't have notes I can give you some ideas on how to study for them and manage your time

I found it really difficult getting use to a system of effective time management, so it will take a great deal of practice and sustained motivation. The key to good study is working out exactly how long you can focus for (for me this was a measly 45 minutes, but I worked with it) and takes breaks accordingly.

Adv. English: Know your texts inside and out. It's far easier to remember quotes and techniques. Not only this, but you UNDERSTAND the significance of these techniques, there's no point memorising something if you don't have that core understanding

CAFS: Fantastic subject. I made my own flashcards on all the dot points, best way to study by far. Try quizlet.com.au, there's some flashcrads o there and you can make your own digital ones. CAFS is about consistent effort, practicing. I did past HSC questions all year and handed them in for marking, it really helped me come exam time. Make sure your writing skills are top quality and you'll smash it. The IRP isn't as scary as it may look, and trust me compared to the PIP it's a breeze.

SaC: The PIP. It's not easy juggling the pip and irp. My advice? Don't do the same topic/similar as the IRP. You're stuck with that topic for 9 months for the PIP, do you really want to be repeating what you just finished for the IRP? Pick a piptopic you're passionate about is my best advice. It's a huge job but so worth it in the end when your final product is done and dusted. In terms of coursework, sac isn't intense and I found it required far less study time. Have a few statistics up your sleeve for essays and you're set, a lot of it is common sense and if you listen in class you'll have no problem.

Senior science: I didn't take this, but I did take bio and chem. If it's anything like those two MAKE.STUDY.NOTES.EARLY. The syllabus was insane for those two and I'm sure senior science isn't far off! Don't fall into the trap of putting it off. I realised the day before my HSC exam that I hadn't made an entire topic's worth of notes for biology.... not a nice feeling (thank you BoS!) It's all about understanding your content, and to a certain extent, memorisation.

In terms of a study schedule, believe it or not I never had one. I hated study timetables, I never stuck to them and lost motivation after a day. Work out what suits you. I made lists on a whiteboard every day/week on what was due and what I should study. It helps you see visually what is left to be done without setting an EXACT time on it like in a timetable. If you're really motivated try and make weekly summaries. I wanted to do this but didn't have the motivation to keep it up. Trust me, if you can do that it helps so much in learning content heavy subjects and it means your revision notes are already there.

Yes, the HSC seems massive and scary. I know I was terrified of the IRP and the PIP in particular. But in reality, this really was the best year of my schooling, as strawberrye (hello there school fellow ;) ) has mentioned above. You can do this, you have support in this. Use these subjects to make a difference, you've chosen content heavy courses with lots of essay writing and through your major works you can understand and explore some pretty exciting concepts. Use this year to learn about yourself, I know I did particularly through my PIP!

Best wishes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)