Looking for subject advice (Year 12) (1 Viewer)

Sayttoz

HSC
Hey Everyone, just looking for some advice on what subjects to drop for year 12. I'll provide my mark and feelings on each subject and maybe somebody could point me in the right direction for what I should be doing.

English Advanced - 80%
English Extension - 94% (No idea where this yearly mark came from, I was intending on dropping this because I only did it to improve my advanced skills. However I'm not too sure if I should now)
Mathematics Advanced - 91% (2nd ranking, happy with this)
Mathematics Extension - 40% (A little above the average in my class, I really do enjoy maths and was a bit upset by this score. However I feel like I can improve the amount of time spent on extension)
Physics - 70% (2nd in class, definitely need to improve this mark)
Legal Studies - 91% (Worst assessment of the year, still averaging about 95% and ranking first, not the most interesting subject but it's definitely the subject I'm doing best in)
Economics - 80% (I do enjoy this subject, I only wish I was better at writing essays as that seems to be the category that brings down my marks the most)
Chinese beginners - 93% (No chance in dropping this, definitely love the subject)

I'm considering picking up Extension 2 Maths as I enjoy the subject, however I'm a bit concerned considering my extension 1 mark and the amount of units I already have. Could anybody offer some advice as I'm still unsure what to drop, currently deciding between Physics, economics, legal and ext 1 english.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
How do you know you will enjoy Maths Extension 2 when you haven't studied it in HSC yet? I highly recommend you against taking Math Extension 2 up-remember, if you do take this option, your 3 unit result will be 2 units that could count towards your HSC, and getting 40% (regardless of how well you are doing relative to your cohort) on an objective sense, you are currently failing in the subject and that's not a good foundation to do Maths Extension 2. Trust me, enjoying something is different from not getting good marks in it (and the latter is what you need-good marks, to get to a desired uni course if that is the place you want to go). Think carefully about this difference, otherwise you WILL REGRET YOUR DECISION. (Maths Extension 2 is a lot harder than maths extension one).

You should NOT drop English extension considering how well you are doing in it. If there is one subject you should drop, it is physics-unless it is assumed knowledge for a uni course you like, otherwise you might be better off focusing your energy into other subjects. Just my two cents.

Unless you are confident that spending more time in Extension would guarantee you a band 6, otherwise I would drop maths extension one-getting 40% doesn't just suggest not enough effective studying, but rather not adequate foundational knowledge on this subject.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
If you plan to do MX2 but get shit marks in MX1, then actually revise on the basics a lot until you know it inside out

Also self accelerate yourself so then you can free up your time. Given that this is the holidays now, it's the time to study ahead and revise on your basics so then you can free up your time when you come back to school

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
If you plan to do MX2 but get shit marks in MX1, then actually revise on the basics a lot until you know it inside out

Also self accelerate yourself so then you can free up your time. Given that this is the holidays now, it's the time to study ahead and revise on your basics so then you can free up your time when you come back to school
If you can self study the whole 4 unit course in the 2 week holidays then just tell the board of studies to give your state rank now to save time

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
If you can self study the whole 4 unit course in the 2 week holidays then just tell the board of studies to give your state rank now to save time
I meant in this case don't self accelerate everything, only the topics that you'll be covering at school for the term

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)