Looking to go maths tutoring - Talent 100, Dr Du or Mr Ye? (1 Viewer)

cocobear13

HSC
Hi everyone :D

I'm starting year 12 and I'm looking to go back to tutoring centres, and I was checking our Dr Du because that's where some of my friends go. I then stumbled across Talent 100, and the course is cheaper (I'm looking to do Maths Adv. + Maths. Ext.1). I was just wondering about whether Dr Du or Talent 100 is better, since I've heard that both are bad and good 😅.

I used to go to Mr Ye in year 6, but stopped around when I started hs (if my memory serves me correctly-). I don't know much about it as it is, and was wondering if they have classes for Year 12 students. And whether the teaching style has changed at all (I had Mr Hu 😎), because to be honest, if Mr Ye is still operating I'd rather go there than Dr Du or Talent 100.

idkkdi

HSC

I'm starting year 12 and I'm looking to go back to tutoring centres, and I was checking our Dr Du because that's where some of my friends go. I then stumbled across Talent 100, and the course is cheaper (I'm looking to do Maths Adv. + Maths. Ext.1). I was just wondering about whether Dr Du or Talent 100 is better, since I've heard that both are bad and good 😅.

I used to go to Mr Ye in year 6, but stopped around when I started hs (if my memory serves me correctly-). I don't know much about it as it is, and was wondering if they have classes for Year 12 students. And whether the teaching style has changed at all (I had Mr Hu 😎), because to be honest, if Mr Ye is still operating I'd rather go there than Dr Du or Talent 100.

fairly sure ye is still operating.

kkk579

hello
HSC
holdon, does mr ye do hs tutoring? i cant find any websites or anything so i’m assuming he doesn’t do advertising

icycledough

HSC
Having done to Talent 100 myself, but for Chemistry, I can say it's very good for students who want to take their time with their learning and learn concepts at their own pace. With Dr Du, it definitely is a lot more fast-paced and quite competitive, so if you are willing and prepared for that, then it shouldn't be a problem for you. You also have to keep in mind that the top tutoring centres will inherently charge more due to a 'perceived better quality of teaching'.

Epicman69

HSC

Bruh come Dr Du I legit went from like rank 80 to 13th so it works, but all I gotta say is make it into an A class.

HSC
Bruh come Dr Du I legit went from like rank 80 to 13th so it works, but all I gotta say is make it into an A class.
bruh what how. im in an A class and my scores fluctuate so much from like 50s and then next week its 90s like ???

satvik_1008

HSC

From what I have experienced, Du is much better than Talent, often talent is much slower, more basic and the kids in their classes are just snobby private school asian kids, while at Du everyone there is mostly there to ATAR grind

In terms of maths tutoring myself, I went to this place in auburn called AlJabr but idk if ppl are comfortable going to auburn (western sydney etc etc etc), good place tho do recommend

s97127

HSC
From what I have experienced, Du is much better than Talent, often talent is much slower, more basic and the kids in their classes are just snobby private school asian kids, while at Du everyone there is mostly there to ATAR grind

In terms of maths tutoring myself, I went to this place in auburn called AlJabr but idk if ppl are comfortable going to auburn (western sydney etc etc etc), good place tho do recommend
i heard good things about AlJabr too!

Cham176

HSC
N/A
Is Dr.Du really that good? I'm a bit conflicted on whether I should go to Dr Du or Ngo for math tutoring. Whilst Ngo is comparatively more affordable for me, I've heard Dr Du is the more popular choice amongst selective school students, despite being crazy expensive. Also are the online courses for Dr. Du viable, the closest centre in Burwood is about an hour away from where I live, and i'd rather not travel that far.

icycledough

HSC
Is Dr.Du really that good? I'm a bit conflicted on whether I should go to Dr Du or Ngo for math tutoring. Whilst Ngo is comparatively more affordable for me, I've heard Dr Du is the more popular choice amongst selective school students, despite being crazy expensive. Also are the online courses for Dr. Du viable, the closest centre in Burwood is about an hour away from where I live, and i'd rather not travel that far.
I also do believe there's one in Hurstville, if that is closer to you.

s97127

HSC
i think you should go to Ngo and sons first. Try to get in the best class there and you are one of the best in that class then go to Dr Du. Who would spend $1600/term to attend an average class at Dr Du? It's a waste of money.

Cham176

HSC
N/A
i think you should go to Ngo and sons first. Try to get in the best class there and you are one of the best in that class then go to Dr Du. Who would spend $1600/term to attend an average class at Dr Du? It's a waste of money.
What would constitue an " average class" at Dr. Du? I currently attend a school in the top 10 academically, and i am always fairly above the average in math. Surely, I would be in one of the A classes at Du...

s97127

HSC
What would constitue an " average class" at Dr. Du? I currently attend a school in the top 10 academically, and i am always fairly above the average in math. Surely, I would be in one of the A classes at Du...
if you can go to A1/2 class and compete with JR students there then it's good. Otherwise, go to Ngo and sons

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Other than cost, what is the appeal of classroom-style tutoring that is similar in nature to school teaching, as opposed to individual tuition?

idkkdi

HSC
Other than cost, what is the appeal of classroom-style tutoring that is similar in nature to school teaching, as opposed to individual tuition?
bad teachers in the first place lol that maybe made classroom teaching worse than what it is.

and competition?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I get that competition is helpful for some students... but those at selective schools get that at school.

I understand the motivation of the tutoring companies, largeish / classroom groups is much more profitable than one-on-one tutoring, and I understand the appeal that the cost for each student is less. What I don't understand is the appeal of a classroom teaching style similar to school over a individualised / personalised modality, except for cost. Yes, some of the teachers in these companies are likely inspiring and more skilled than some school teachers and I don't doubt that some great teaching happens. I went to a highly selective school where many people went to tutoring and I know that the overall teaching standard was not that bad. Obviously, I am biased - I do individual tuition - but I do genuinely struggle to understand the appeal of spending hours of non-school time in more classroom-based teaching.

ShhQuietPlease

HSC
Simple.

Competition drives innovation and knowledge growth. The space race is a great example of how competition has advanced technology at unprecedented rates. You can not deny humans are fundamentally competitive, no one enjoys being below someone else. A classroom environment gives you just that, someone to aim for and hopefully one day surpass. I know myself would not have tried as hard if my peers slacked off.

CM_Tutor, your target demographic is different. Acheiving students want competition. Middling or struggling students want individualised care. This is what you may provide well.

Remember, not everyone wants to drive fast. But those who drive fast will want to see who drives the fastest.

kkk579

hello
HSC
only go to du if u get into a1 or a2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)