Votes: 71 14.1%
  • I'm a boy and I'm hella sexy

Votes: 158 31.5%

• Total voters

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you tried changing your diet? Usually it's easier that way than just increasing exercise.
Not really, I know diet is like 80% of it but it's hard to stick to it sometimes... I did it 3 months ago and lost 1.5kg in 10 weeks (this was with just weights, no cardio) and now I'm just on it for the toning up of the body..

Hmm.. guess I do need to do both now eh

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Currently 173cm tall and between 68-72 kilos depending on the day/time I weight myself (this is very consistent).

Recently lost about five kilos bike riding, though it came off everywhere other than my gut. I've got a bit of a pot-belly (small) I want to be rid of.

Considering I'm at a healthy weight, what can I do to 'shift' it from my gut? Weights?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
You'll have to lose a bit of weight to be honest, even if you're at a healthy weight/aren't over weight.

It probably comes down to genetics, like with most guys. The gut is the first place to gain fat and the last place to lose it. :(

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
You'll have to lose a bit of weight to be honest, even if you're at a healthy weight/aren't over weight.

It probably comes down to genetics, like with most guys. The gut is the first place to gain fat and the last place to lose it. :(
Ah. Back on the pushie then.

Meh, not so bad. I kinda like riding long distance.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
yeah but balancing that with university/work can take a toll on some people, especially if they work long hours or study something especially time consuming

like perhaps a fifth year medicine student

kfnmpah

HSC
Not really, I know diet is like 80% of it but it's hard to stick to it sometimes... I did it 3 months ago and lost 1.5kg in 10 weeks (this was with just weights, no cardio) and now I'm just on it for the toning up of the body..

Hmm.. guess I do need to do both now eh
Brrt. It's not hard to stick to, you're just lazy.
I'm a full time student and a have a job, I live out of home and I'm getting credits/distinctions at uni and I still have time to go to the gym 6 days a week and eat super healthy.

Also, 1.5kg in 10 weeks?! WHAT?!!?!?!??! so you lost 150g a week? you were either eating too much or something was off with your routine. If you're going hard enough and your calories are in check, you can lose heaps doing "just weights"

Look m8, here's what you do. Figure out your BMR then figure out your macro requirements. For "cutting" i'd recommend an initial phase of low carbs (20%) high protein 50% and 30% healthy fats (nuts, fatty fish etc). Keep adjusting your calories as you lose weight, then when you get to a low enough bf% you can start introducing more clean carbohydrates for a 40p 40c and 20f ratio.

Also, if you think running/spin classes etc will help you maintain your weight, you're deluded. You will atrophy if you don't regularly work your muscles, your BMR will go down, and you'll gain fat.

This is from a Charles Poliquin article:
the high velocities fatigue a particular point in the neuro-muscular junction which is responsible for the rapid firing rate of the motor units, you perceive great fatigue even though little work has been done. When you think about it, you could reproduced the same type of fatigue in your triceps if I asked you to hold a pair of fly swatters and swat an imaginary 100 flys in 30 seconds. Would you triceps get tired, sure. Would they improve significantly in terms of conditioning. NO. Why? Because the resistance is not high enough to elicit the hormonal response needed to create adaptive response that would bring about positive body composition changes.
In spinning exercise, the body adapts by storing both intra-muscular and subcutaneous fat in the thigh and hip areas to provide a more readily available source of fuel for the aerobic recovery periods. The body figures out, if I store fat there it reduces the time to get to the muscles to provide the energy source.

In short, cardio probs isn't the best for losing fat. Man up and get your diet in check.
Do a high intensity weight circuit, squats, thrusters, push ups, pull ups etc. Just go hard out for 30 minutes. Or do HIIT (google it)

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but i'm bustin' chops lately.
I h8 bitches that go to the gym and do a spin class then abs work then go get coffee and wonder why they're not losing weight.

/rant.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
you know what is easy to do while working long hours?
not eat

simple
I did that at uni today, brekky 7am, lunch 5:30pm, in-between I had 600mL of water and that's it.

ran for the train and almost fell while running up the stairs at central that's how weak I was feeling omg not again

Brrt. It's not hard to stick to, you're just lazy.
I'm a full time student and a have a job, I live out of home and I'm getting credits/distinctions at uni and I still have time to go to the gym 6 days a week and eat super healthy.

Also, 1.5kg in 10 weeks?! WHAT?!!?!?!??! so you lost 150g a week? you were either eating too much or something was off with your routine. If you're going hard enough and your calories are in check, you can lose heaps doing "just weights"
It wasn't 100% healthy, like 50-70% healthy so that's probably why, but I felt pround and now you just ruined it :cry:

Look m8, here's what you do. Figure out your BMR then figure out your macro requirements. For "cutting" i'd recommend an initial phase of low carbs (20%) high protein 50% and 30% healthy fats (nuts, fatty fish etc). Keep adjusting your calories as you lose weight, then when you get to a low enough bf% you can start introducing more clean carbohydrates for a 40p 40c and 20f ratio.

Also, if you think running/spin classes etc will help you maintain your weight, you're deluded. You will atrophy if you don't regularly work your muscles, your BMR will go down, and you'll gain fat.

This is from a Charles Poliquin article:
the high velocities fatigue a particular point in the neuro-muscular junction which is responsible for the rapid firing rate of the motor units, you perceive great fatigue even though little work has been done. When you think about it, you could reproduced the same type of fatigue in your triceps if I asked you to hold a pair of fly swatters and swat an imaginary 100 flys in 30 seconds. Would you triceps get tired, sure. Would they improve significantly in terms of conditioning. NO. Why? Because the resistance is not high enough to elicit the hormonal response needed to create adaptive response that would bring about positive body composition changes.
In spinning exercise, the body adapts by storing both intra-muscular and subcutaneous fat in the thigh and hip areas to provide a more readily available source of fuel for the aerobic recovery periods. The body figures out, if I store fat there it reduces the time to get to the muscles to provide the energy source.

In short, cardio probs isn't the best for losing fat. Man up and get your diet in check.
Do a high intensity weight circuit, squats, thrusters, push ups, pull ups etc. Just go hard out for 30 minutes. Or do HIIT (google it)

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but i'm bustin' chops lately.
I h8 bitches that go to the gym and do a spin class then abs work then go get coffee and wonder why they're not losing weight.

/rant.
Yes, ma'am, I will look into it (you're going to be a harsh harsh teacher fyi)

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
how i lost 8 kilos in 4 weeks:
>estimate BMR
>eat 2500kJ/day less (easiest way was to eat no bread and drastically less pasta, rice etc.)
>running, lots of running

that's about it

Last edited:

kfnmpah

HSC
I did that at uni today, brekky 7am, lunch 5:30pm, in-between I had 600mL of water and that's it.

ran for the train and almost fell while running up the stairs at central that's how weak I was feeling omg not again

It wasn't 100% healthy, like 50-70% healthy so that's probably why, but I felt pround and now you just ruined it :cry:

Yes, ma'am, I will look into it (you're going to be a harsh harsh teacher fyi)
Nah, good on you for trying. Just get your diet in check.

Nah, I'm going to be harsh but fair. Probably more harsh to the juniors because you need to drill respect into them when they're young, then when they're in year 11 and 12 and they find out a bit more about you they think you're c00l and you can sort of be friends. However, because you've drilled respect into them, they don't 100% treat you like a friend.

HSC
man i love burgers and sandwiches SO much i have no idea how to cut out bread
i tried the other week and all i wanted was a goddam steak sandwich

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
Just use the swap it for less method, thats how i lost 12kg.

- Eat but cut down half the portion and keep going from there.
- Daily exercise (30mins of running/biking)
CONTROL lol

lux-lisbon

HSC
I would like to lose 5kg, mostly because I feel out of control - I am currently eating ice cream, which I haven't had in 8 months - and partly because I am actually getting fat. That would bring me to 50kg whih seems good. I currently eat a semi paleolithic diet - mostly meat, fish, eggs, heaps of vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, and occasionally yoghurt, oats, brown rice, pasta and awful processed peanut butter with hydrogenated oils. I think I'm going to go full paleo and cut out all grains and all diary. In terms of exercise I go to the gym twice a week (which is really not enough) and do 45mins-1hr - usually 20mins running, 20mins walking (intervals), 10mins cross trainer and 10mins rowing machine. So, I think I'll start going to the gym at least 3 times a week, without fail. i think i'll give myself until the end of the year - reasonable??

(i'm 55kg 5'7)

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
I think a neolithic diet is better than paleolithic, and allow yourself a chalcolithic cheat day once every odd week, and a mesolithic day every even week, and the occasional bronze age treat after exercise

but really does it matter that much whether you have a bit of grain and dairy as long as the intake is less than the amount you use each day?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I think a neolithic diet is better than paleolithic, and allow yourself a chalcolithic cheat day once every odd week, and a mesolithic day every even week, and the occasional bronze age treat after exercise

but really does it matter that much whether you have a bit of grain and dairy as long as the intake is less than the amount you use each day?
yeah basically its

lose weight:
output > input

Cianyx

Planarian Leader
HSC
RE: Paleo

I base my intake on this graph. Not sure how accurate it is, but meh, works as a good rule of thumb

I try to keep it sub 100 g

Also fuck cardio, do weights

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)