Votes: 273 54.4%
  • I'm a girl and NO I'm not

Votes: 71 14.1%
  • I'm a boy and I'm hella sexy

Votes: 158 31.5%

• Total voters

Always

HSC
Let's not forget ed-nos, which is probably the category most people that suffer from eating disorders fit into. Usually, to be diagnosed an anorexic, one must be less than 15% below their 'normal' body weight. Someone who behaves like an anorexic but does not fit the weight criteria will most likely be diagnosed with ed-nos.

I think it's a little ignorant to assume that anorexia is a less serious disorder than bulimia. Anorexics suffer from such a mental battle during the period of their disorder that most will never fully recover, but will struggle with their body image for the rest of their lives.

arrested development
HSC
Always said:
I think it's a little ignorant to assume that anorexia is a less serious disorder than bulimia. Anorexics suffer from such a mental battle during the period of their disorder that most will never fully recover, but will struggle with their body image for the rest of their lives.
I mean that the physical complications of bulimia are, in the long-term, far worse than those of anorexia. Sufferers of BOTH disorders will likely struggle with the mental side of it for the rest of their lives, of course.
It's just that purging (via throwing up, laxative abuse, the use of ipecac syrup, etc.) causes much more strain on the internal organs than restricting does.

Always

HSC
I'm not familiar with the mental effects of bulimia, but from what I've seen bulimics don't have the same disturbed body image that anorexics do. When a girl is 30% below her recommended body weight but still thinks she is fat and still wants to lose weight, there is a major psychological problem that doesn't really get resolved, even after treatment. Most 'recovered' anorexics learn to eat properly and train themselves not to obsess over their weight to the extent that it becomes a ritual, but deep down they are still unhappy with themselves. I know many 'recovered' anorexics who are very slim but still watch their diet too carefully and exercise almost compulsively at times.

My point is, the two disorders can't really be compared in their after-effects and both are just as serious as the other.

I can imagine how physically damaging constant purging will be. I mean, throwing up is bad enough, but ipecac... that stuff is death.

arrested development
HSC
Always said:
I'm not familiar with the mental effects of bulimia, but from what I've seen bulimics don't have the same disturbed body image that anorexics do. When a girl is 30% below her recommended body weight but still thinks she is fat and still wants to lose weight, there is a major psychological problem that doesn't really get resolved, even after treatment. Most 'recovered' anorexics learn to eat properly and train themselves not to obsess over their weight to the extent that it becomes a ritual, but deep down they are still unhappy with themselves. I know many 'recovered' anorexics who are very slim but still watch their diet too carefully and exercise almost compulsively at times.

My point is, the two disorders can't really be compared in their after-effects and both are just as serious as the other.

I can imagine how physically damaging constant purging will be. I mean, throwing up is bad enough, but ipecac... that stuff is death.
Wow. Ok, that's incredibly narrow-minded to assume that bulimics don't have the same distorted body image that anorexics do. Plus, like I said, the two disorders can often go hand-in-hand. Also, being 30% below one's ideal weight is not a characteristic mutually exclusive to anorexics. In fact, the most dreadfully underweight girl I have ever seen was bulimic, not anorexic. And one does not have to be 30% below one's ideal weight to be "anorexic" either.

Basically, everything you said in the first paragraph is equally applicable to bulimics as it is to anorexics.

And I still maintain that the after-effects of purging (for either anorexics or bulimics - it's not only bulimics who purge) are far more detrimental to one's health than those of restricting.
The psychological effects of ANY eating disorder will always be horrendous.

Always

HSC
This is not a battle between the seriousness of the two. Both are equally as serious as the other, but differ in nature.

I'm not saying that being 30% below one's recommended weight defines an anorexic. At such a weight, anorexics will still restrict, obsess and purge because they believe they can still see fat. Typically, a bulimic does not have the same difficulty in assessing their actual body size.

But, whatever.

arrested development
HSC
Sorry, I tend to get really fired up and defensive when it comes to eating disorders. Haha.
Yeah. Anyway...
hmmm

Always

HSC
I hate it when any eating disorder is trivialised, especially anorexia. I hate it when girls point to just anyone that's skinny and say "omg, you're so ano!!". I hate the fact that no one really understands what girls with eds go through and to trivialise it like that is such an insult.

Back on topic...

what971 said:
I know I've said it before, and people have told me it was bad. But periodic starving works.
I know this issue is controversial but I can kind of understand why it would work. It's true that our body will be reluctant to let go off any fat if it believes it's being starved, but it usually takes a few days for our body to realise this and consequently go into starvation-mode. The trick is to make your body believe it will be fed. This is why the 2-4-6-8 diet works.

However, diets such as these are dangerous and outright foolish. You are starving your body, depriving it of necessary nutrients that are needed in order for it to function.

Starving or 'fasting' is not an effective weight-loss method, simply because most people do not have the self-control to maintain such a diet and will often binge right after. Obviously, you will gain back the weight (and more) this way. Also, starving yourself screws with your metabolism in a bad, bad way, and a sluggish metabolism can only mean bad news in the long-run.

Don't do it.

arrested development
HSC
Always said:
I hate it when any eating disorder is trivialised, especially anorexia. I hate it when girls point to just anyone that's skinny and say "omg, you're so ano!!". I hate the fact that no one really understands what girls with eds go through and to trivialise it like that is such an insult.
Was that directed at me? Because I am the last person to trivialise EDs! I totally agree with you about the whole anorexia thing. I get really pissed off when people trivialise bulimia too, though. Like when they think it's just about wanting to eat whatever you want and stay skinny, because it's not that at all.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
anorexia means loss of appetite.... it does not mean weight loss

arrested development
HSC
Yeah, "Anorexia Nervosa" is the full-blown psychological disorder. "Anorexia" is a far looser term, I guess.

75 or 99!

HSC
Catwalk said:
im 160cm and i weigh 51kg currently. i wanna be 46kg in 4 weeks time. realistic or not?

(btw, im not sure where to post this. just posted in F+L cos i figured more girls browse this forum)
hey i'm the a lil shorter than u and i way alot more than u ...and i've tried to loose weight buh nufin much has really worked:(...i try to put exercise into whteva i do like walking home from school instead of cathcing the bus or walking around the house when i'm on a break... buh i wreckon tht since ur problem is with junk food... avoid it...as my brother wud say "make the choice" when u go out jus look for something tht isnt so fatty on the menu and when ur at home stay away from where u keep ur junk food grab juice or yogurt or jus have a glass of water...usually when people want junk they arent hungry they jus wanna eat...
BUH SRSLY ur not fat ur fine for ur height i wud love to be 51kg...as long as ur not overweight u dont need to worry

take care

arrested development
HSC
Always said:
No, not directed at you at all. I wasn't in the best of moods, sorry.
Oh ok, cool. :)
Ha, don't worry, I was in a horrid mood yesterday too. :s

davin

HSC
N/A
(this refers mainly to the early parts of this thread, because i clicked to come to the newest stuff, it misdirected me, and i didn't notice when i wrote this that it was old stuff, but i figured may as well leave it here, even though its an off topic comment now)

at least from my own view, the furthest my pickiness about a girl's figure goes is that she's not putting herself in a significantly unhealthy condition, for her own sake.
plenty of guys can appreciate the female body as being voluptuous.... don't need to be as thin as possible to get the attention of guys. look at, say, greek and roman statues of goddesses.... they're not as thin as can be. if you're naturally thin, nothing wrong with that, but for those that arent..... seriously, don't worry about it.

you really want a guy that if you were to ever get a little bigger would decide he's no longer attracted to you?

Always

HSC
...You are kidding yourself if you think all girls want to lose weight for the sole purpose of pleasing your male eyes.

arrested development
HSC
Always said:
...You are kidding yourself if you think all girls want to lose weight for the sole purpose of pleasing your male eyes.
haha yeah, exactly. I don't think I actually know a single girl who lets the preference of males dictate how they want their body to look. That would be kind of lame. :s

charlenerebecca

HSC
Catwalk said:
i'm trying to lose weight before school starts again and it's so, so hard. when i go out i eat junk, when i'm home i eat junk as well.

is anyone else trying to lose weight? maybe we could all share tips or something.

im 160cm and i weigh 51kg currently. i wanna be 46kg in 4 weeks time. realistic or not?

anyway, how much do you weigh and how much do you want to weigh?

(btw, im not sure where to post this. just posted in F+L cos i figured more girls browse this forum)
well i think your weight sounds pretty reasonable. im 175cm and weigh 59kg and my mum keeps telling me im underweight (though we've never gotten along and she and i have always been fat then i all of a sudden got over the initial puberty puppy fat and lost like 20kg and she's been really nasty to me since. i think its fine.) just don't worry about losing it and try to get busy doing lots of other stuff and you wont have as much time for snacking. just make sure you eat all the right meals and eat all the right stuff at the right times. ALWAYS eat breakfast. it speeds up your metabolism and breaks down fat quicker. also eat slowly. you'll get full by eating alot less and your body won't retain as much fat.

davin

HSC
N/A
i'm not saying its guys specific, its the whole culture that has dictated what is considered 'fat' or 'unattractive'. not specifically to impress guys. though, its definitly the case that what is considered an attractive size now is less than it has been historically, and given the number of girls i've heard convinced they're fat that aren't, i would think it hard to say there's no connection betwenn culture's warped view of healthy weights and people being focused on losing weight

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
davin said:
i'm not saying its guys specific, its the whole culture that has dictated what is considered 'fat' or 'unattractive'. not specifically to impress guys. though, its definitly the case that what is considered an attractive size now is less than it has been historically, and given the number of girls i've heard convinced they're fat that aren't, i would think it hard to say there's no connection betwenn culture's warped view of healthy weights and people being focused on losing weight
there is some correlation... however it may start out like that but often turns into a deeply personal thing.

i couldn't give a fuck if people TOLD me i was skinny enough. i only care if i am skinny enough for myself. it's been that way for as long as i remember (and we are going into pre teens here too) and honestly it was never really about the media, culture or what guys perceived of me.

i have to have a flat stomach or i will not be happy with myself. tell me how that is related to society? it didn't start with reading cosmo but a long time before that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)