• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Low Ranked School (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
Results scored by a kid in my school when it was ranked in the low 500's:

Mathematics Extension 1: 96%
Mathematics Extension 2: 94%
Physics: 94%
Advanced English: 93%

AND

Chemistry: 81%

These were what I believe to be his exam marks. I don't think he was ranked internally first in all of his subjects. His cohort was strong. His UAI was 98.25. He deliberately decided to bomb up in Chemistry because he was sure he was going to get the UAI he needed. Shame, his UAI could have been so much higher.
are they %
or the mark the Board gives back?

dp624

HSC
aren't the two things you just said the same?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
umm, there all 96%+ with the exception of chem which is about 85%. yet this isnt including half-yearlies (ive only gotten physics 95% and MX1 96%). all about 1st-2nd (chem 3rd) rank

lets say i do extremely well in my given school (cumulative ranks of 1st's and 2nd's), does this mean that my HSC results will basically rely on my personal external performace?
Yea you could, those are excellent results, just push up chem a little and you're fine!

aya-chan

HSC
Yeah the gap is massive between first and 2nd and then it's neck and neck really but in the top 10 there's still a bit of breathign space. Ranks are determined by Band 6 Exam Results/Total Exams Sat. So that's why schools have like 1100 exams sat because each kid sits at least 5 exams.
The schools like baulko and the other top 5 (excluding ruse) shuffle around a lot. Whereas ruse just stays on top. Ruse is just on top coz they steal all the pro people from the other high-ranking-but-still-not-good-enough schools AND they're a lot more competitive than baulko.

(oh and PS. fancy spotting you here "duckcowhybrid" don't you ever use any other username?)

Dumbledore

HSC
Ranking = Ratio of Band 6s vs Non-Band 6s.
Which means a Band 1 and a Band 5 are counted as the same when it comes to school ranking.

tl;dr I CALL BULLSHIT
LOLOLOLOLOL

my school was going all proud because 70% of our year last year got band 5's in english

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
i thought the rank of one's school has little to no affect on one's HSC Results?
It doesn't, but like being in a low ranked school means your ranking within the school may be invalid. For example, 1st in a 500th school may be equivalent to a 30th in a Top 200 school or even the bottom end of a selective school student.

Therefore, what you get in the externals will be more relevant to you than to most people as it will basically determine how your marks will be moderated.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lol Nathan, the school does affect you..
As in how well the rest of your cohort (in your school) does has a direct impact on your UAI.
Unless you're an outlier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)