lowering car (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
hey guys
i wanna lower my car, and eventually i wanna get bigger rims, currently 17" and wanna go 19" once i get the money
is it stupid to drop it first and then save for new wheels, i.e. its best to do the lot at once?
also, i was told i could go for king springs to lower it about 1.5" or so... but thats the more expensive option as opposed to cutting the springs. do i have the right information and whats my best option? and how much do you think it'd cost?
thanks

Marquis de Leng

HSC
Cutting the springs are bad for the car. You don't want the springs to completely flatten out, when you hit a speed hump and the springs are crunched together. The reason why lowering a car is expensive is that they get new springs that are set for that height, which means they are stiffer and don't flatten out because if they do they screw up the suspension.

CieL

HSC
What car is this?

I would do the lot at once..
Depending on what car it is, I dont know how much you want to drop it..
My bf went up 2 inches [from stock] and dropped his car about 1inch.. and it's already a bitch to go over speed humps and crappy driveways..

Pace_T

HSC
hey Marquis de Leng, yeah thats what i thought. i'd imagine the current springs to be a bit too soft at a lower height, coz i think its dropped a bit already..... the rims/tires at the moment aren't stock and i think it was lowered just a bit when they were changed (by the previous owner)

FromDeeEast

HSC
cutting springs will stuff ur car up, getting lower springs will lead to u also getting new shocks to handle the spring compression.

imo dont get 19's cause then u will have to roll guards and shit and that costs a fair bit of money

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
CieL said:
What car is this?

I would do the lot at once..
Depending on what car it is, I dont know how much you want to drop it..
My bf went up 2 inches [from stock] and dropped his car about 1inch.. and it's already a bitch to go over speed humps and crappy driveways..
my friend fucked up the gearbox because of a lowered suspension. :-/
that was through driving through one of the reserved parking areas (where they have one of those metal guards which has to be lowered in order to park properly, well anyway that thing was a bit higher than usual, would of been ok with a car with normal suspension...). Had to call up a towie cause it wouldn't drop down to P (it was an auto so can't start off second)

Jiga

I would think its around $250 per corner of the car to get it lowered.... need to pay for the springs themself, new shocks and labour. I had to pay $200 alone when one of my springs snapped! The benefits are the car will handle way better around corners... negatives are you have to take speed humps slower.

Not sure about 19s, rubbing could be an issue... Im not an expert but you have to get the right ofsset and stuff like that. Also 19s aernt heaps practicle either, potholes have an increased potential to cause a blowout and you will need to buy bigger tyres obviously which will cost alot more.

Zozo6969

HSC
19" tyres will cost a load to buy, more noise will come from them too, and you'll get a harsher and more bumpy ride. is it really worth the tonne of money ur gonna b dishing out

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
either cut ur springs u soft cock.
half an hour an a grinder gets ur car riding low.

or bag the fucker an completly lay out.
on guts gets the sluts

CieL

HSC
19" will be illegal anyway [for his car]

Jiga

Yeah its like 2 inches above yor stocks rims only. But you could get an engineers certificate or something? Eitherway be a slack cop getting you for that... and you can always plead ignorance and say you didnt know that rule / it came with larger rims when you bought it, so you didnt know its originals! (Although quite sure their is a tag on the drivers side frame that specifies the tyres size... not sure if it specifically mentions rim size though)

lengy

HSC
Nah, friend tried that and she got fined. Plus they'll ask for your papers.

Magnet

HSC
bowman said:
on guts gets the sluts
Hahaha, probably the only decent contribution to the thread.

With 19s you'll lose practicality and driveability... don't do it half-arsed; chop those springs!

The size of the rim does not make it illegal, it's the rolling diametre. It's about $250 for a brand new set of king springs. They don't not ruin your car, it ruins the shocks. It doesn't matter though, if he were serious he wouldn't be asking for help on a HSC forum.

evablazin69

HSC
where ever you go the set minimum price is $350. would be a champ to get it cheaper. tempe tyres is the best place i reckon for the wheels and suspension :rofl:

Pace_T

HSC
thanks for the advice guys

Magnet said:
It doesn't matter though, if he were serious he wouldn't be asking for help on a HSC forum.
lollllllll the car wasn't cheap ;)

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Magnet said:
Hahaha, probably the only decent contribution to the thread.

With 19s you'll lose practicality and driveability... don't do it half-arsed; chop those springs!

The size of the rim does not make it illegal, it's the rolling diametre. It's about $250 for a brand new set of king springs. They don't not ruin your car, it ruins the shocks. It doesn't matter though, if he were serious he wouldn't be asking for help on a HSC forum.
maybe he is asking on a HSC forum because we have a section dedicated to cars/enthusiasts? you wouldnt know yet cos youre new >.>

and yeah, if you already "upgraded" it to 17s, there is a large chance that 19s on it will be a defect, because you wouldnt be able to find a low enough profile to keep the rolling diameter equal to what it is now. and unless it is something like an A4/bentley then it would probably scrape, and so you'll be wearing out your tyres quicker (but if you had an A4/Bentley, then dont look at anything below 19s XD)

Team 1A

HSC
Ey mate,
Please don't be a tool and cut your springs. Not a good idea. If your doing it on a budget, best place to go might be to the wreckers. Might pick yourself up a set of cheap springs there and easy on the wallet.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
stop listening to the little girls in this forum an fucking hack at ur car. make it low as possible.

u want ur chassis touching the ground. lay it out

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
fuck, what's all this shit about illegal rim sizes?

im getting an 07 civic very soon and i saw these pics on some forum from a guy who has one with what he says are 19" rims on it... so would that be illegal for a civic? 19s sound stupid but from this pic they really actually look quite good?

Team 1A

HSC
bowman said:
stop listening to the little girls in this forum an fucking hack at ur car. make it low as possible.

u want ur chassis touching the ground. lay it out
easy to say when its not your car love

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)