lowest UAI for med at uws (1 Viewer)

tonyyoussef2008

HSC
hey!! does anyone know the lowst Uai needed fro medicine?
has anyone got below 95 and still got accepted

tonyyoussef2008

HSC
anyone??? or does anyone know anyone that got into med at ANY uni and a UAI below 95????

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
tonyyoussef2008 said:
anyone??? or does anyone know anyone that got into med at ANY uni and a UAI below 95????
JCU, 93.8 for UNCLE if your local, also you may get in with below 95 depening on your rurality at some uni's. But if your a normal student it will be highly unlikely to get into med <95 at virtually all uni's.

kloudsurfer

HSC
white ferret said:
http://future.uws.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/9928/SoM_Fact_Sheets__2007_UWS_Medical_Students__October_2007.pdf

20% managed to get in with UAIs between 93 and 94. wow. they must have aced the interview and UMAT..
Not really.

As has been mentioned before, the uai is just a hurdle. Once you get over the minimum UAI (93 in the case of GWS applicants), than you have the same chance as everyone else, regardless of whether you got 93 or 99. After that only UMAT and interview are used to determine whether you get accepted

Kanny

HSC
umm yeah thtas for 2007, in 2008 (my year) the median uai is close to 99, and it is true that its just a hurdle, my 99.3 uai din mean nething,

marking crit is 1/3 umat 2/3 interview

white ferret

HSC
but dont they only accept say, the top 100 [or how many they accept] based on the highest cumulative marks from umat, uai and interview?.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
white ferret said:
but dont they only accept say, the top 100 [or how many they accept] based on the highest cumulative marks from umat, uai and interview?.
Yeah, it's about 128 this year which includes all the places HECS, DFEE, BMP, INT-FFEE, Rural, etc spots.

kloudsurfer

HSC
white ferret said:
Sigh.

Unless I am misinterpreting your post (ignore this if I am), what you are asking is if the UAI is weighted (ie. those with higher UAIs have a better chance of getting in and vice versa).

Like i said in my above post, this is not the case, and at UWS, UAI is just a u hurdle. So once you get over the minimum, the UAI is irrelevant, therefore the final selection is based on UMAT and Interview. So whether you get 95 or 99 does not matter , as long as you get above the minimum cutoff. Once this cutoff is reached, they pick the top 128 based on the culminative scores of UMAT and Interview.

sami999

HSC
As far as i know , The uai is JUST a cutt off , once you get past that , getting into med is totally based on how you go in your umat and interview , but thats is in theory . What happens is that they end up with soo much people with the same marks in the intervview/umat and end up using the uai's as well to determine wether u get in . So basically if 200 people applied and all of them got the same cumulative uai/umat mark then according to how high thwir uai's are they will get in , and only the highest 100 people will be abllowed entry .

If at this stage there are people with the same uai , umat and interview marks( WHICH IS EXTREMELY UNLIKELY BUT STILL POSSIBLE ) then thats where they refer to your application form where you were asked a series of questions about yourself . And depending on their judgement of that they will chose who goes in .

kloudsurfer

HSC
sami999 said:
As far as i know , The uai is JUST a cutt off , once you get past that , getting into med is totally based on how you go in your umat and interview , but thats is in theory . What happens is that they end up with soo much people with the same marks in the intervview/umat and end up using the uai's as well to determine wether u get in . So basically if 200 people applied and all of them got the same cumulative uai/umat mark then according to how high thwir uai's are they will get in , and only the highest 100 people will be abllowed entry .

If at this stage there are people with the same uai , umat and interview marks( WHICH IS EXTREMELY UNLIKELY BUT STILL POSSIBLE ) then thats where they refer to your application form where you were asked a series of questions about yourself . And depending on their judgement of that they will chose who goes in .
Dude, where are you getting your info from? It is completely incorrect.

Firstly, the UWS application form does not require you to answer questions about yourself, therefore it has absolutely no bearing on entry.

Also, the UAI being a cutoff isnt just a theory, its fact. It is highly unlikely that people will end up with the same culminative UMAT/Interview score because the interview score range is very broad (eh i havent done maths in a while...you know what i mean!)

Take it from someone who got into UWS med!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
sami999 said:

Your def wrong mate.

iamshaw

HSC
Kloudsurfer,

Assuming you are correct in saying that UAI is simply a cut off (and hurdle)
can the same be said for those entering with GPAs? For example,

Is it possible that a higher GPA (for example 6.2 or 6.5) would assist
the admission process, or is it SOLELY umat and interview scores after
having made the cut-off?

Thanks,

jared

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
iamshaw said:
Kloudsurfer,

having made the cut-off?

Thanks,

jared
Hey, the GPA is also used as another hurdle a GPA of 5.5 or is it 5.6 is required. Please read the info for yourself on uws med applicaiton page.

After the hurdle, umat and int scores determine ur ranking if you get in or not.

Every uni has it's own entry system, UWS just put's more merit on umat and the interview instead of high UAI's/GPA's.

Last edited:

kloudsurfer

HSC
iamshaw said:
Kloudsurfer,

having made the cut-off?

Thanks,

jared
Wooz beat me 2 it.

What he said...

VladimirNikolai

HSC
Hey guys, does anybody know what if there's a UMAT cut-off for getting in? One of my friends just got a bit below 50% in it, I was wondering if they still have a chance of getting in. Anybody know the stats, for instance at UNSW they have a list like 152UMAT=100UAI etc. Anything similar at UWS?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
VladimirNikolai said:
Hey guys, does anybody know what if there's a UMAT cut-off for getting in? One of my friends just got a bit below 50% in it, I was wondering if they still have a chance of getting in. Anybody know the stats, for instance at UNSW they have a list like 152UMAT=100UAI etc. Anything similar at UWS?
The uai cut-off is 93 for GWS(umat should be around 164+) and 95 for non-GWS( around 185+)

UWS does not like to disclose their cut-off's. The cut off's above were last years given by admin staff, but yeah the min uai is set to go up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)