LS Speech help? Please ^_^ (1 Viewer)

HSC
Erm, Hiya all, first time I've been on here :)

Anywho, I've been sick with the chickenpoxs for the past two weeks, and recently found out that my LS speech is due on Thursday (14th) or Friday (15th)... *sighs* And I haven't got to start it yet... Ugh, I'm in such a bad sitution at the moment, kinda having a bad time with everything at the moment... ><

Anywho, I went over the speech question and I'm kinda stuck on what to do and can't think of what to write or what to do...

The question is...
'Assess the effectiveness of various forms of legal measures in achieving justice, with reference to at least one criminal justice issue. Refer to at least one of the following examples of current criminal justic issues listed below and one other current criminal issue in NSW. Anit-terror laws, Mandatory Sentencing, Majority Verdicts and Trial by Media.'

I remember we have to pick one of them and one of your own... But I missed heaps from being sick in what we've done on Crime... And I'm kinda lost on what to do.

Could someone please point in the right direction or give some example I could talk about.

Also... anybody got tips on doing speeches, I'm really shy and have a lot of trouble public speaking, I get extremely nervous and such.

Thankies all in advance and sorry to bother everyone with my question ^_^

HSC
Hey all again, currently at school (Have a study/free period). I was planning to go to my teacher for help with this assign, but of course she's not here! No! Dammit, lol.

Hopefully someone can please help me with this assign! I just need to be pushed in the right direction, kinda at a loss atm.

Thankies again ^__^

Dark Phoenix

HSC
hey

when it says 'effectiveness' u immediately hav to make some sort of judgment on whether legal measures such as legislation, government bodies or courts are effective (good or bad) in achieving justice in one of the criminal justice issues.

from what i could read, u hav to do 2 criminal justice issues. i can make a suggestion on what to do for urself. its the recently established drug court in New South Wales while Bob Carr was in power. Here are some dot points that u could base ur answer upon

• The Drug Court aims to reduce the amount of drug related crime
• The Drug Court takes repeat offenders pleading guilty to a drug taking or drug related offence through a drug treatment program lasting a year
• There is a team of judges, officers, lawyers which maintains regular contact with applicants, reviewing their progress and providing encouragement and praise or warnings
• There are two urine tests a week and the offender must report to the drug court once a week. The reward is less intensive supervision
• There are very promising statistics
o It was found that 20% of those who were released without the program had committed a crime within 8 months whereas with those who had done the program in the drug court there were only 8% who had committed a crime
o It was found that 10% of those who where released without the program had committed a drug crime in contrast to the 3% of those who were rehabilitated by the program of the drug court
• Problems with drug court was that those who accepted the program did not complete them

Aim for drug court for future:
• Improve ability to identify offenders who would have benefit from program
• Terminate unsuitable candidates earlier
• Have more realistic criteria
• Improve the level of coordination between agencies

as for tips in doing a speech i just suggest that u practice in front of the mirror many many many times. so many times that u nearly memorised ur whole speech (im not tellin u to memorise but it wont hurt). about the nerves, well....for our school we did heaps of speeches and we gradually became confident by yr 12. so i guess go in front of the class and know that u will do well. project ur voice with some expression, always look at the audience at the beginning, middle and end of each sentence. and when u r up ther in front of everyone just take 3 big breaths and u will feel alot better

HSC
Hey Phoenix, thank you so much for the tips and info ^__^
I greatly appreciate it :) Sorry to be a pain, lol

By the way, love your avatar and sig :)

Thankies again ^__^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)