l've got a few questions about UWS.. (1 Viewer)

pokegal

HSC
ok, l got my UAI as 64.60, and my two first prefances are comp, science at UAI 70 and computing (e-business) at 60, or it was called something like that. I sersiouly dout l can get my first preferances so l'm probly gonna get my second and do the course for a year then transfer. I really wanna do comp science cause l believe it will give me skills in most parts of computers...well knowledge anyway.

Though my second preferance is at parramatta campus which is about 30 mins away by train, and then apparently l gotta get a bus to get to the campus. I probly wont get my P's untill the middle of the year, so transport is alreay looking not to good. my first preferance was at the kingswood (penrith) campus which is alot closer, so l wasn't really worried.

so anyway, to the questions...
1. is the parramatta campus good? l've heard that parramatta isn't one of the most safest places, and l really don't know much about the campus
2. Should l not bother going to UWS and go through tafe instead to get my transfer? l'm considering doing a TAFE course in programming anyway cause that would give me extra skills

sorry if this sounds confusing. The whole Uni thing hardly makes sense to me

btw, if it makes any difference l'm female..apparently hardly any girls do computer stuff...

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
1. don't know, i've been there a few times, it seems ok
i'm female too, wanted to do something about computers at uni, but then i changed my mind cos i discovered what i truly like, but, if you want to do it then i'm sure you can do it. i didnt get an amusing uai either, but i'd say, don't go and waste time at tafe when you do actually do have a uai that you can do something about at uni, i had a lower uai than that, then i transferred to the course that i want, it only takes four to five months of dedication, hard work, it's not that hard really, you just have to do your readings, homework etc, but if you say you want extra skills, tafe might be the way to go, but really, you can do tafe after uni, it's always open to you.

SweetSeasons

HSC
Parra campus is my fave campus, because most of the stuff is new and you don't have to get a bus from one campus to the other.. I haven't been to bankstown but yeah..parra is the best in my opinion.
Any ways you're normaly @ uni in day light and I've never experianced anything bad getting to and from uni... you hop off the train and onto the bus and there's normaly a whole bunch of UWS students on the bus.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
2. I dont know much about the tafe course but, I do know that the transfer scheme is quite good at UWS. if yo get over a credit average, you can transfer it to the course you really want to do after one semester (6 months)

If you can get a train to Rydalmere station its a quick walk i here...
Parramatta isnt a really bad area...its a bout the same as penrith really :)

SweetSeasons

HSC
especialy with all the construction going on round parramatta at the moment

pokegal said:
2. Should l not bother going to UWS and go through tafe instead to get my transfer? l'm considering doing a TAFE course in programming anyway cause that would give me extra skills

don't go 2 TAFE, not that there is anythin wrong with it, but i heard that if u transfere from TAFE its alot harder than from uni to uni.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
1. Parramatta is the busiest campus, so don't be concerned about safety. Although, I must admit, it gets a little freaky at 11pm at night :p

Two ways of getting to Parra by transport:
- Train to Rydamere station and walk, change trains at Clyde though.
- Bus (L20, 520, 524, 523, 525) from Parra railway station will drop you right outside the uni, just walk across vicky road.

2. Some of the first year subjects in both courses could be the same, do a year in the computing (e-business), gain an above credit average (> 5.01 gpa) and then transfer internally, you may gain some exemptions on some subjects that you have done.

pam17

like heaven to touch
HSC
pokegal said:
ok, l got my UAI as 64.60, and my two first prefances are comp, science at UAI 70 and computing (e-business) at 60, or it was called something like that. I sersiouly dout l can get my first preferances so l'm probly gonna get my second and do the course for a year then transfer. I really wanna do comp science cause l believe it will give me skills in most parts of computers...well knowledge anyway.
Though my second preferance is at parramatta campus which is about 30 mins away by train, and then apparently l gotta get a bus to get to the campus. I probly wont get my P's untill the middle of the year, so transport is alreay looking not to good. my first preferance was at the kingswood (penrith) campus which is alot closer, so l wasn't really worried.
so anyway, to the questions...
1. is the parramatta campus good? l've heard that parramatta isn't one of the most safest places, and l really don't know much about the campus
sorry if this sounds confusing. The whole Uni thing hardly makes sense to me
btw, if it makes any difference l'm female..apparently hardly any girls do computer stuff...
You live close to Kingswood and you heard that Parramatta isn't a safe area? How ironic.

I would definitely say that Parra campus (and Parramatta as a suburb) is safe, especially when compared with south western and far western suburbs! Anyway the campus is very busy and closer to Parra town centre than other campuses.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
yes yes, paramatta is safe, i go to hawkesbury, which is like 1 hour and a bit away from the city, by train, it's even safe there, trust me, it's public transport so there are some worries at first, but you're not going to be alone, there are many other uni students who will be with you on the trains, buses, in uni etc.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
sparkl3z said:
yes yes, paramatta is safe, i go to hawkesbury, which is like 1 hour and a bit away from the city, by train, it's even safe there, trust me, it's public transport so there are some worries at first, but you're not going to be alone, there are many other uni students who will be with you on the trains, buses, in uni etc.
Thats true. The first few weeks of uni was actually really scarey, cause I go to Hawkesbury as well. I remember thinking, who the hell in their right mind would travel this far to uni.

And then, when my timetable said classes finish at 5pm, I was worried, especially traveling like 3 hours during pitch blackness on cityrail. But after a few weeks, everything was fine.

You'll generally find someone who travels in the same direction as you, even if its part of the trip. Most people I know either travel to Blacktown or Lidcombe by train, but I go to Strathfield and catch another train (which never bloody connects with the Western Line).

klh

HSC
maybe Im a bit late but Tafe is good if you want more practical skills and a slower more suportive enviroment. Tafe to UWS is as per normal, i think its harder from Tafe to say Usyd, as UWS allows Tafe certs and has links between them. Smae thing with UTS.
Look for anything with the word Degreelink at Tafe if your considering tafe as it will immediately give you 1 year credit towards a certain degree, but i dont know if it still has it as thats like 2 years ago...

hope it helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)