Lybrel- The new pill to eliminate the menstrual cycle (1 Viewer)

SunkistAngel

HSC
I've been waiting for this for a while now!!
I take the Pill, to improve skin, and for the past few years i have been regularly skipping periods via the Pill. I know alot of people are skeptical of this, fair enough because it is not common practice, but after hearing from the media and more importantly my doctor that skipping is safe, i encourage others to try it to see how it works for them (and be part of the generation they will survey in 50 years to see how the pill has evolved for women since the 60s lol)

Personally i don't believe that it is necessary for girls and women to have a period every month for more than half of their lives, and the introduction of this new Pill to eliminate the menstrual cycle shows more research is proving that this may be true.

The new Pill works just like the original except you do not have a red section of sugar pills to take during your period, instead a full month of hormone pills which are taken continuously. That's what we can do now with the original Pill, but they say this one will make it cheaper (buying less packets) and will help those whose periods interrupt their months with cramps.
More info on how the new Pill works here: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=268946

Now to you - Do you take the Pill available now? Would you consider taking the new Pill to eliminate the menstural cycle? Do you think this is a technology that can improve the lives for women, or make things more complicated?
Interested to hear different opinions on this topic that i think will affect all women in years to come!

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Problem is, there's no check as to whether or not you're pregnant that's quite as easy as your period.

SunkistAngel

HSC
Strawbaby said:
Problem is, there's no check as to whether or not you're pregnant that's quite as easy as your period.
Well, taking the Pill available now as it is meant would mean that when you take the yellow pills (with hormones) it goes through the course of your cycle without ovulating, and when you stop taking them and start on the white pills in the red section, that makes you ovulate and eventually get your period a few days later when the egg isnt fertilised if you didnt have sex.

Sooo..if you are on the pill and take it every day, you can not get pregnant because you won't be ovulating unless you stop taking it, there is no egg there to become pregnant with. The 1% chance that you could get pregnant is most likely caused by not taking it at the same time each morning and changing when the Pill goes into your body ie. be careful if the Pill is being used for contraception

If you do want to get pregnant, all you do is stop taking the pill and when your body re-adjusts to natural pattern, you shoudl ovulate and be able to become pregnant after sex.

I suppose it sounds complex, and yeah there may not be anything simpler than a period, but i do think that one day this could become so common practice that some people may change their minds :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
This sounds interesting. Yes I take the pill. And I skip here and there when I know it's going to land on something like my exams/holiday/concert/birthday/etc.

But to skip it entirely for ages? I probably won't touch it for a while when it comes out, simply because it'd be new. I'm too afraid. I know that logically it should probably be okay, considering most of us do it now, skipping it here and there..... But something about stopping a natural body process creeps me out. Sounds too much as though you're fucking with your body and your ability to make babies later :(

I'll want to be reading a medical pamphlet or speaking to a doctor etc

Last edited:

Skeeta

HSC
What happens to all yo eggs then? Do they just stay inside of you forever and rot?

HSC
N/A
Skeeta said:
What happens to all yo eggs then? Do they just stay inside of you forever and rot?
Most of them do that anyway...

SMH said:
About half the women enrolled in studies of Lybrel dropped out, said Dr Daniel Shames, a deputy director in the FDA's drugs office. Many did so because of the irregular and unscheduled bleeding and spotting that can replace scheduled menstruation.
Err.. brilliant. Periods are probably less bad.

SunkistAngel

HSC
Skeeta said:
Its debated how many eggs a girl is born with, ive read up to 1-3 million eggs, about 400 of which would come out of the body with a period if she was to have them. That's still alot of eggs to be kept in the body, apparently alot of them die off after you are born and a sufficient number kept for possible pregnancy, about 400,000 apparently, unless of course you are infertile which could mean you have less than the usual amount of eggs left stored in the body which can happen.

At first I supposed they just stay there or get absorbed by the body, but i've read that by menopause you have 10,000 or so and most die though the process called atresia? Have to find out.. lol

HSC
sounds freakishly unnatural.

but yeah, i don't think i'd ever even take the pill unless i had to .. i don't want drugs and synthetic hormones and shit in my body 24/7. i'm such a damn hippie haha.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
its like running thru..

lots of ppl have been doing it.. and spotting is not uncommon..41%..

CieL

HSC
No, I don't take the Pill now, nor have I ever tried.. maybe that's why I don't understand half of what you're saying.. red section? sugar pill? lol

But I dont think I'd ever take hormones regularly just so I don't get my rags, seems like I'm just screwing around with the natural cycle. I don't see a point, and it's not like a few days a month without my rags would dramatically improve my life. Unless of course I was one of those people who practically die when it's that time of the month.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
CieL said:
No, I don't take the Pill now, nor have I ever tried.. maybe that's why I don't understand half of what you're saying.. red section? sugar pill? lol

But I dont think I'd ever take hormones regularly just so I don't get my rags, seems like I'm just screwing around with the natural cycle. I don't see a point, and it's not like a few days a month without my rags would dramatically improve my life. Unless of course I was one of those people who practically die when it's that time of the month.
You're so confused.

The pill has 4 weeks worth of pills. The sugar pills are there to give you one week off from the pill so you can have your period. Basically these pills are there so you're use to having a pill everyday, regardless of whether it has your sexy hormone stuff or not.

THIS thread is about the release of a contraceptive pill that does not give you that "one week off". In fact, if this pill is successful on your body, you will not have your period at all.

Understand?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
from a purely medical perspective.. if this costs more.. it will be such a waste.. cos its just the 10% dose reduction of the regular pill in a 28 pack..

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
er, it seems a little unnatural. and by a little i mean very. there's probably nothing medically wrong with it...but nah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)