M2/M7 or Train (1 Viewer)

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Hi,

I got into MQ for B. of IT through main round and I wonder how to go about getting there... I live in Quakers Hill (2 stations away from Blacktown) and wondering if its wiser to go by train or just drive there?? I have not been around that area public transport wise and not sure how well the trains and buses service that area... please tell me your experiences (and prices too :uhhuh:). Some of my mates train it to UTS daily, but it is a bit simpler with no lane changes and buses involved.

Also, is there any way to get M2/M7 discount/cashback since you are uni student??? I'd think no, because it's private... but maybe there is a special discount not widely known about.

Cheers,
Daniel.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
politik said:
Yeah but until the Mac uni train station opens you will need to get off at somewhere like epping and catch a bus.

It really depends on what traffic is like, how much money you want to spend and how much time either will take you and how much time you actually have.

To drive keep in mind those tolls are exspensive and the parking permit is $130 for unlimited parking for the year.

I'd do both during peak to see how long both take you, then decide

alfonso22

HSC
i also live in quakers and am starting uni this year..

driving is fine if you got your own car and can be bothered to drive in traffic,,

train will be better when the new station opens on cmapus

the best way atm is to go by bus... leaves blacktown and sevin hills stations hourly and goes directly on campus,,only 40 mins to get there too

williamc

HSC
^ yep catch the 611 and will only take me 18-20 mins on the bus for $21.10 a week.

nikmueller

HSC
find someone who lives near uni so that you can crash at their place after the bar on thursday night

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
yeah i catch the 611 aswell. you get concession fees

russs

yeeeee
HSC
thanks for your replies...

also... how far is the walk from epping to uni.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Quite a hike, there are buses every 5-10 minutes though.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
from epping station it'll take you AGES to walk. the bus is only 90 cents or something.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
drive it, i live in plumpton.. i get the m4... takes me 40 minutes

but thats coz im a public transport snob, ii absolutely hate public transport.. the waiting especially and the yukky seats.

my friend who also lives in quakers hill, drives it too.. she doesnt get the m2 or the m7.... she gets the back streets.... n doeesnt pay toll.. it takes her about 30 minutes.

Look into it

aileenli

HSC
Dude...just catch the 750 from busways.

Pros: Its a direct service from quakers hill to mac uni (no need to change buses/trains)
And a bargain at 5 bucks for a return ticket.

Cons: Limited bus services - 3 in the morning to mac and 3 in the evening back.
And it takes about 1 hr 15 mins....

williamc

HSC
^ yer the 750 also passes through the M2.

So if you are catching a bus off the m2 from the west, then you have both options of either the 750 or the 611.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
If you are driving in the morning peak then don't take the M2. It comes to a halt right where the M7 and M2 merge and you'll be moving like a snail until the tolls (which is basically at Macquarie!). It's guaranteed to happen every morning (rain, hail or shine). The bus lane seems pretty cool though so take the bus or train!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
A December 2008 opening is proposed for the Epping to Chatswood line, running as a shuttle between those stations only. An integrated timetable with the Northern and North Shore lines is planned for mid-2009. Unlike road projects, I very much doubt this will open any earlier (given most other recent rail projects were delayed), though I'd like to be surprised!

Tu17

Latte addict XD
HSC
:( i was hoping it would be a little sooner lol with everyone saying its gonna open soon... guess they were wrong :p

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
It could open a little earlier, but that depends on how they progress. They still have to do testing of the actual lines and stations with trains, and they haven't done that because the line isn't connected properly at Chatswood yet. Chatswood station also has to be finished before they can open the line and that is still a big mess at the moment!

X

xeuyrawp

jase_ said:
It could open a little earlier, but that depends on how they progress. They still have to do testing of the actual lines and stations with trains, and they haven't done that because the line isn't connected properly at Chatswood yet. Chatswood station also has to be finished before they can open the line and that is still a big mess at the moment!
So strange, I went to Chatswood station last week and it was such a shock. I hadn't been there since October/November, and the whole station had been changed. Is it just me, or are there no turnstyles?

Peartie

HSC
it was MEANT to be opened end 2005 originally, then mid 06 then late 07 then mid 08 now late 08....so yea....

it also cant take any trains newer than the silver ones because the gradient is 2 steep!

and no - no trnstiles @ chatswood atm.....as far as im aware anyway....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)