Mac Vs window Os platforms (1 Viewer)

HedgeMaster

HSC
Yo, since im going to Uni soon. Im gunna be buying a laptop, i need some help, im conflicted between both OS's out at the moment (leopard and vista), this will determine, if i should get a beefy asus laptop, or a macbook pro (for graphics and such, so ill need lots of sweet RAM, and a decent processor). So this thread shall determine the all powerful question, Mac Vs Microsoft, lol. For the fate of a boys money, he he.

nubix

HSC
Get an XP one and paint an Apple logo on it.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Can you even buy a computer with xp on it anymore? Don't they all come with vista?

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Yeah, nearly all of them come with Vista now.

nubix

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Don't they all come with vista?
Nope, think the demand for XP is still greater than Vista :rofl:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
nubix said:
Nope, think the demand for XP is still greater than Vista :rofl:
No computer I have seen since vista has come out has had XP as an option.

PaulM

HSC
Get a Mac and dualboot Vista, i do a lot of programming already for Vista and mess about with it and i can't understand how people are disgusted at it. I guess its just the "oh Microsoft released another OS phase" anyway you also have the oppurtunity to test your programs if thats what your into on two operating system's :)

nubix

HSC
PaulM said:
Get a Mac and dualboot Vista, i do a lot of programming already for Vista and mess about with it and i can't understand how people are disgusted at it. I guess its just the "oh Microsoft released another OS phase" anyway you also have the oppurtunity to test your programs if thats what your into on two operating system's :)
Personally, I think all the new uber graphics are a waste of resources; I was happy with 98SE... then all these new programs stopped supporting it. Guess I'll have to move to Vista at some point whether I like it or not.

Just my 2c

PaulM

HSC
Yea i tend to agree, but it can be setup to how you like it too :) and i am working on a sidebar they look great on your vista desktop :D

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I don't like the look of vista at all. The taskbar looks shit, the transparent windows look shit, the sidebar just takes up desktop space, the icons are crap. The visual style and custom icons I use for XP are 1000 times better.

PaulM

HSC
But there are some great theme packs available.

HedgeMaster

HSC
Ive been using vista recently, Visually its looks good, abit too glassy tho (lots of OS X rip offs). The problem I have with it is compatibility. Nothign really works with it. I do alot of vector graphics and a few of my progs dont work on it. Alos wen I play high intense graphics game, it buts wayyyy!! 2 much stress on the graphics card, as it has 2 virtualize the OS as well as run the game, it just takes a high end car/ lots of ram 2 just run basic shite. Im thinkin bout goin with "iamsickofyear12" although "nubix" makes a valid point as well lol. But on the concept of virtualising stuff. I think it would theoretically be even worst running xp on a mac pro running a high end game, as it has 2 virtualise through the mac and xp shite. Its sooo hard and confusing, all my friends suggest mac, but u guys suggest MS????
Software: -
MS vista pros:- User friendly, great inteface
MS vista cons: - Crap compatibility, lots of bugs, asked u for permission 4 everything, puts 2 much pressure on proc, ram, GC etc. and the list goes on.
OSX Pros: - Impressive animations, lost of free software, good for graphics etc.
OSX Cons: - Dont use it much, hard 2 naviagate round everything... not every much.
Leopard: -???
Hardware:
Mac cons: - Have 2 dedicate hard drive space for but OS's!!, its sux ass, non un gradeable
Ms cons: - Err not that much, pretty decent stuff, very upgradable!!
-thoughts??

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
PaulM: error in string[] subject: ArrayOutOfBoundsException

Vista looks good and seems to be a whole lot more solid than XP was at similar post-release time. I mean, it's not perfect, but I'd give it some time to mature before judging it. I'm sure you remember everyone clutching onto Win98 when XP just came out. It was only after SP2 that things looked up.

I'm actually quite keen to get my hands on a Mac (just for the learning experience so that I can support them at work with more than just my Linux knowledge). I wonder if I can purchase the software and install it on any PC (for sake of argument, Intel-based platforms). I don't see any problems, aside from hardware compatibility issues.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Schroedinger said:
The only thing that would really stop you from choosing OS X would be games, at this stage.
....and maybe the learning curve. I know it is relatively easy for some people to pick up but I know plenty of people who just wouldn't get it... they'd have to give up and go back to windows.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Unless you're writing in Java... you've got a bit of a road ahead of yourself teaching yourself C and learning the Obj-C frameworks if you're wanting to develop applications for the Mac OS. However, with the frameworks that OS X includes; wow developing applications is a pure joy.

Plan your app, design your contracts, code, test, done. The frameworks are brilliant, intuitive in their outputs and really well thought of.

Plus, Xcode is light years ahead of Visual Studio :p
Java somewhat hides that detail...doesn't let you use the lower-level languages as it abstracts them via the VM. Idiot-proof, if you will. Supposedly "write once, run anywhere". That means that any Java developer should be able to program on Mac OS X if they don't rely on OS-dependent syscalls/interrupts etc.

In Java, if I remember right, array[6] will create an array with elements [0, 5] (where as array[5] will create [0, 4]). The number is just the number of elements rather than a termination point.

Can you install OS X into non-Mac machines?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Stick with XP if you want to play games, or be prepared to build a better system just to match the performance you could get with a cheaper one.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Swing looks like an arsehole on OS X, you can use the OS X Widget Set; You do have to use Xcode though.

God I hate Swing so much.
I haven't used Swing personally, but looking at it briefly it doesn't look too bad (it isn't OS dependent as far as I can determine). That said, Swing in itself looks "clumsy".

Schroedinger said:
Oh right, on, so you have a \0 in the final field then?
Not very sure...it's definitely a usable field though. I'm fairly sure that all fields are automatically populated with either NULL (object arrays - incl. Strings as they are treated as an object in Java) or 0 (int arrays).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)