Macbeth & Evil.. (1 Viewer)

Jensta

Prepare a response to Q...

"Macbeth" explores the nature of evil. Is this an adequete summation of the concerns of the play?

asking us to consider
  • A definition of evil - what is the nature of evil?
  • The different levels of evil depicted in the play ( individual, social and political, supernatural)
  • Is evil, in fact, the over riding concern of the play - do you think there are other themes/ issues more important/relevant?
  • Does the interpretation/critical perspective affect the concerns and their emphasis?

any ideas,help, suggestions would be a great help..Thanks ALOT! :D

HSC
For evils, i'm sure there are plently... Macbeth himself, the witches + Hecate, the war-ridden society filled with unrest...

Wouldn't the main theme be ambition..? All the ruthlessly ambitious characters in the play meet their timely demise...

Jensta

Yeah its a MODULE B: CRITICAL STUDY OF TEXT
its a pain in the bum but i gotta do it and its the holidays! :'( any more ideas duddeees...

Jensta

hey white rabbit..well .. wouldnt it be evil.. the drives the ambition? I would say that evil was the main theme..what do you other guys rekcon?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Jensta said:
Yeah its a MODULE B: CRITICAL STUDY OF TEXT
its a pain in the bum but i gotta do it and its the holidays! :'( any more ideas duddeees...
mmh, interesting, seeing that I'm doing macbeth in module a, and 'the crucible' in module b, ...

on the essay:
you could relate evil to the Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, and constitute what is evil, and what is not.. but this is a response I did on my essay..

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
well, we did macbeth in yr 10 and when we did the conept of evil in the play we referred as much 2 lady macbeth as we did 2 macbeth himself - although his major character flaw is ambition, he is a weaker character then her, she is MORE evil, but her sleepwalking and suicide shows she's not truly evil surely? also, with the supernatural: some say the witches are evil and of course the double double speech is the best example, however, i seem 2 remember there being plenty of evidence throughout the play 2 say that the witches are meant 2 represent fate rather than evil - more a world which is cyclic and cruel & indiffernt in nature, rather than outright evil (after all, Macbeth still had free choice...just made the wrong ones!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)