Macbook Vs iMac (1 Viewer)

Kiim2507

HSC
I kinda need a Mac for uni (not desperately but I'm doing video production and everything is done on macs so it's 1000 times easier if I can edit on my on computer). Anyways I'm undecided whether I should go for a macbook pro or an imac. I have an HP laptop atm which I never disconnect from the power because the battery is screwed and I survived my first year of uni without it so I'm leaning towards iMac (also cheaper) but if I have a macbook it might be easier to take to uni and complete all my lecture and tute notes on it.

Alternatively I can get a iMac and a new batttery for my current laptop...

Thoughts?

EDIT: Main functions would be video editing, uni work and surfing the web

Last edited:

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I have a Macbook Pro and I think it's the better choice.

You can take your work anywhere and work on it any time with convenience.

Rheotron

HSC
Hm, it really depends. I'm still in High School and I have a Macbook. I use it mainly for assignments and that kinda stuff.

With iMacs, just as with any desktop computer when comparing it to a laptop, you'll get better value for your money in terms of hardware. If money is an issue and you don't mind being tethered to a desk, go with the iMac, you'll get a more powerful machine for a cheaper price point.

If you want to be able to take your computer to classes, obviously, definitely the Macbook Pro. The MBP will definitely do everything you want it to do, but they are more expensive.

A third option, which I don't know if would be possible, but how about an iMac and the newly announced iPad? You can have the iMac on your desk at home for high capacity applications and then chuck the iPad in your bag and take it to class for notes. I don't know how much prac you do in classes but if it's mainly note taking in class, the iPad would be more than adequate for that.

Personally, in your situation I would go with the Macbook Pro. First of all, it's a pain in the ass working with Mac and Windows on separate machines. If you have a windows laptop and a Mac desktop, it can get annoying transferring files and whatnot. I think it would be easier just to have everything all in the one place. MBP's are powerful machines and a dream to use.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a big fan of laptops... as long as they have ample cooling, which the MacBook Pro does. I would go with that because of it's portability (as long as money isn't an issue for you...). Get the 15" model.

lifequest

HSC
If you're buying a Macbook pro, DO NOT GET IT NOW. It's updating in about a month, hold still and you'll be getting yourself a Quad-core i5 Macbook Pro for roughly the same price.

But yes, get a laptop, the quad core will be more than enough for your movie-editing needs + it's portable.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Go a macbook. If you need a screen to go with it you can get those for <$300 for a 24" panel.

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
If you're buying a Macbook pro, DO NOT GET IT NOW. It's updating in about a month, hold still and you'll be getting yourself a Quad-core i5 Macbook Pro for roughly the same price.

But yes, get a laptop, the quad core will be more than enough for your movie-editing needs + it's portable.
Roughly the same price? Doesn't sound too believable imo.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
My thoughts exactly. You know Apple, they'll keep the old MBP prices at current time and introduce the i5 MacBook at a jacked price.

They'll keep this up for six months to a year then we'll see a minor couple of hundred drop off the price.

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
i heard they are bringing out the new ipad

its freaking huge!!! like who the heck is guna carry one of those around.

but i want an imac, ill juz wait till my comp dies then save up to get one, they are awesome

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Lol, the iPad is gonna be shit for six months to a year, then they'll update it to wowfactor, like they did with the iPod/iPhone.

I still reccommend MBP though. More than decent specs for anything you need with the ability to use both major multimedia platform OS' on one computer.

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
I've heard really good things about the Macbook Pro, but does the price really justify it's uses? I'm sure there are cheaper laptops out there that would suit the needs of a university student.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
True, but it depends on their field of study.

For example, Mac is the industry standard in many, many facets of multimedia. Some of THE BEST editing software for audio and film is exclusive to mac, or is designed for mac OS, and runs a hell of a lot better on it's native OS.

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
Haha yeah, I can agree with that, since I know that Apple did Logic Studio, which I hear is pretty popular in recording studios.

I'm most familiar with the PC platform though, so I'll be sticking with Windows compatible packages for a while. : D

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I've heard really good things about the Macbook Pro, but does the price really justify it's uses? I'm sure there are cheaper laptops out there that would suit the needs of a university student.
It's the best and most intuitive user experience out. MBP 13" aren't much more than equivalent PCs either, and built a whole lot more solidly with 1000x more battery life.

Also RE: Apple's prices on new laptops, they're entirely determined by the exchange rate.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Why not just install the video editing software on the HP and get a new battery? It'd save you several grand. You could even partition the hard drive and install the Mac OS (Leopard or whatever the fuck it's called) if the program doesn't like Windows OS or you're not comfortable with it.
Save some money girly.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Why not just install the video editing software on the HP and get a new battery? It'd save you several grand. You could even partition the hard drive and install the Mac OS (Leopard or whatever the fuck it's called) if the program doesn't like Windows OS or you're not comfortable with it.
Save some money girly.
Like I said, some of the best editing software is exclusive to mac... And I'm not entirely sure that the O.P could manage to install OSX on a windows based machine. It's a difficult process, much harder than dual booting on a Mac.

It's only several grand if she goes iMac, the 13" MBP isn't much more than it's rivals etc.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Like I said, some of the best editing software is exclusive to mac... And I'm not entirely sure that the O.P could manage to install OSX on a windows based machine. It's a difficult process, much harder than dual booting on a Mac.

It's only several grand if she goes iMac, the 13" MBP isn't much more than it's rivals etc.
MQ only deals in Macs so that's another thing to figure into this.

I kinda need a Mac for uni (not desperately but I'm doing video production and everything is done on macs so it's 1000 times easier if I can edit on my on computer). Anyways I'm undecided whether I should go for a macbook pro or an imac. I have an HP laptop atm which I never disconnect from the power because the battery is screwed and I survived my first year of uni without it so I'm leaning towards iMac (also cheaper) but if I have a macbook it might be easier to take to uni and complete all my lecture and tute notes on it.

Alternatively I can get a iMac and a new batttery for my current laptop...

Thoughts?

EDIT: Main functions would be video editing, uni work and surfing the web
The question should be where are you going to be editing? On location or at home? If at home, get yourself an iMac + portable hard drive, if you're going to do editing on location, then make sure you get the more powerful macbook pros :)

I know we're trying to fix the issues we suffered through MAS110 with the networking/caching and pulling stuff off the server, and that at least the multimedia Mac Pros are hooked up to a fibre network, but not sure on the Film guys :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)