• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maccas workers united (2 Viewers)

bustinjustin

HSC
So yeah I've got my orientation at the Maccas International Aiport Departues store later today at 3pm.
Even though I've heard a lot of shit about Maccas I'm quite excited about my first job ever (it couldve been Luna Park hanging out at a Tattoo stall for $14 an hour, but yeah....aww).
I've got a friend who works at the Circular Quay store and not only has he been robbed by workmates twice, he doesn't get his own uniform (he picks shirt/pants off the rack and returns them after the shift).
Is this the situation at every store?

Post up whatever shit you have about Maccas, but does anyone have anything good to say about them?

Oh and I've got the impression I'll be starting out the back. Where's it easier, at the back or at the counter? I'm keen on counter cos I'm a 'people person' (that is such a wanker statement)...but according to my friends in a few weeks time i'l be the exact opposite

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
according to wat my friends say who work at maccas - no1 gets their own uniforms, its got something to do with dry cleaning costs. If all staff members had their own uniforms, the company would have to pay the staff extra money an hour or something to cover the dry cleaning costs, so to avoid this they keep the uniforms at the store and dry clean them themselves to 'save money'.

and they also tell me that apparently theres some kind of pecking order or something you have to go through before you get to counter? something like, you do fries, then dining room then you start your training on counter. As for out the back, im not sure. but i reckon it all looks to be fairly simple (not that i know the store requirements or anything) but yeah.. you'll be right matey :)

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Hungry Jacks Bathurst for one handles half of the food without gloves, and that's the least of your worries if you ever plan to eat there.

thats so disgusting

bustinjustin

HSC
_muse_ said:
thats so disgusting
very disgusting. Good thing you don't work there, or bette still, have to eat there anymore Slide Rule...

Theres no drive thru at the airport store and we dont have our own tables and chairs, so i guess there's two roles gone, but ive figured il probably have to mop and clean inside anywhere, how exciting...

But thanks for all your help everyone. I'll probably be back with a (slightly) exaggerated recount of my first day or whatever (throwing someone's head into the deep frier, hooking up with a customer in the freezer, that sort of thing...hmmm).

HSC
I work at an express store, which means there's no dining room, McCafe, Toilets or drive-thru, but it's still hard. Cos we're smaller, our average serving time has to be between 20 and 30 seconds, altho no one really worries about that, except one manager who occasionally says 'come on girls, get in the time limit!'

I work on counter most of the time, and after a little while it's piss easy, you don't need to know prices, they come up automatically, altho sometimes dumbarse customers come up to you and ask prices when the menu boards are right in front of them, dumbfucks.

Customers are really the worst part I think, the rude, ignorant ones outweigh the nice ones heaps, so be prepared for bitchy bitchy customers. They'll try anything to get free food, and you usually give it to them.

You just have to get used to working really fast, but then it can be fast one hour, then dead the next.

Be prepared for 'grills' - that is burgers that are different to normal, like an MCO -cheeseburger with meat and cheese only, that's pretty common, or burgers without sauce, pickle or onion or something, or a burger with extra stuff. God I got a cheeseburger, no bun with extra meat and cheese. I was like ... ah??

We get our own uniforms, but that changes store to store. And we get paid for washing them too. Pay rates start at $5.85 for 15 year olds which is really bad, and go up. I'm 17 and on $9.55 I think, but you get uniform allowance, shift allowance, shift loading, casual holidays... weird stuff like that.

And remember to DROP FRIES!! that's so annoying when no one except me drops fries.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
bustinjustin said:
So yeah I've got my orientation at the Maccas International Aiport Departues store later today at 3pm.
haha really? that's cool. but i have to say, the Sydney International maccas at departure has like the slowest service everywhere! LOL once I waited like 10min in the queue (there were only like a few people in front of me, and that there were several queues, just to buy a cheese and tomato sandwich. hehe)

hey, maybe i'll see you at airport maccas someday ;) please be nice to me.

so when do you usually work?

elisabeth

HSC
Hmm... I work at Oporto (ok, well it's fast food at least) and they put me on front counter straight away. Spent 3minutes teaching me how to do chips and then showed me how to use registers and put an order together.

I like it out front... I'm very glad I got put there straight away! :D even though you WILL get a lot of stupid customers. Just laugh at them and remember they're pathetic and at least you're being paid to be there. If you don't get stressed over them and can laugh things off, you'll be fine.

bustinjustin

HSC
sugaryblue said:
haha really? that's cool. but i have to say, the Sydney International maccas at departure has like the slowest service everywhere! LOL once I waited like 10min in the queue (there were only like a few people in front of me, and that there were several queues, just to buy a cheese and tomato sandwich. hehe)

hey, maybe i'll see you at airport maccas someday ;) please be nice to me.

so when do you usually work?
hehe yeah it gets pretty busy what time were you there? its busiest in the mornings and at lunch, then it becomes quieter after 2-ish, then heats up again at night.

I've just come back from orientation (and im back here on the computer! hmm) and I'll most probably be cooking or whatever out the back, hopefully I'll be at the counter when you drop by! There were 6 of us newbies, all young 15year olders who had connections at the store (I was an old fart at 17 and knew none of the other workers). First person I met (after the manager) as I walked in asked me if I smoked pot (lol) - a warm welcome indeed. I've also got my uniform, and I really like the belt... it's a Billabong one. Are we meant to get Billabong belts? i'm a bit suspicious cos it really smells of BO and I swear I've seen people with Maccas belts. This is a really stupid question but should I keep this belt, or get a proper Maccas one?

I'll be starting work next week, drop by and look out for Justin out the back!

Which store do you work at Noel_Gallagher?

Miss_Mirage86

Full-Time Princess
HSC
ive worked at maccas for over 3 years and its great, despite my constant complaining about how tired i am after a shift, all the shifts i get, the crew who wont DO ANY WORK... but yes, the ppl are great, its a great atmosphere, i love working there. You can start out the back or front it doesnt really happen one way or another, generally the boys r out the bak but recently weve been doing alot of guys out the front chix out the bak. We dont have our own uniforms, we have to get to work 15mins early to get changed there from the clothes they have. as noel gallagher said PUT DOWN FRIES... such a pain in the ass wen ur the only one running drive thru n u have to do it all but u wont have to worry bout drive thru or dining room really. just try ur best and be really enthusiastic, remember to stock everything up, n take initiative, managers will like that, dont be afraid to ask questions if ur stuk. any questions u have u can pm me or post bak n ill b glad to help...

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
bustinjustin said:
hehe yeah it gets pretty busy what time were you there? its busiest in the mornings and at lunch, then it becomes quieter after 2-ish, then heats up again at night.

I've just come back from orientation (and im back here on the computer! hmm) and I'll most probably be cooking or whatever out the back, hopefully I'll be at the counter when you drop by! There were 6 of us newbies, all young 15year olders who had connections at the store (I was an old fart at 17 and knew none of the other workers). First person I met (after the manager) as I walked in asked me if I smoked pot (lol) - a warm welcome indeed. I've also got my uniform, and I really like the belt... it's a Billabong one. Are we meant to get Billabong belts? i'm a bit suspicious cos it really smells of BO and I swear I've seen people with Maccas belts. This is a really stupid question but should I keep this belt, or get a proper Maccas one?

haha... sounds interesting indeed!! maybe i'll pop in and say hi one day. I usually work sometime between Friday to Sunday.

yeah have to say, most people there are a bit spooky to me. there are some nice people though, but most are just scary or rude.

HSC
bustinjustin said:
Are we meant to get Billabong belts? i'm a bit suspicious cos it really smells of BO and I swear I've seen people with Maccas belts. This is a really stupid question but should I keep this belt, or get a proper Maccas one?

I work in an express Macca's at Newie, but I think I'm getting out of there, again, because my shifts have been so shit lately, one week I earnt like $50 then the next week I earned over 4 times that. It's shit like that. But rest assured, macca's is good training and future employers look up to macca's training.

About the belt. Ihave no idea. I've got a grey maccas belt with a gold buckle and engraved 'M' sign, the normal ones, but we are getting new blue uniforms so that might be the belt we're getting, bewcause they were trying to make them 'trendy' ....

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I agree! Anybody who doesn't put down fries or expects you to do THEIR work deserves a kick up the arse. Maybe. Actually maybe not, because eventually the managers notice and they like you all the more - at least in my case. Sometimes the managers can be even worse then some of your workmates.

My rate of pay was roughly $8 but since I only worked 8 hour shifts Sunday open I got $12 an hour which amounted to $100 a shift.

About the belt: Dunno. My store ran out when I was getting my stuff so they gave me second-hand cap and no belt. I wore my own belt to work and nobody cared - though it was just my school belt, since it was pretty similar to the black Macca's belt.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I worked at maccas for 3 years when i was year 9-year 12 and it wasnt that bad. some stores give you uniforms to take home but my store kept the uniform and it is better that way cos they wash and iron them for you. they make you watch cheesy videos about safety and crap on your orientation and first shift and then you make fries up and clean the dining room in your shift if you work out the front and also they make you help other people get their food ready and then they put you on a register on your second shift only with a crew trainer person watching over your shoulder. and that is the training process for front counter :p also sometimes the crew trainers do evaluations of you, i cant remember what they are called but they watch you and sometimes dont tell you they are watching you and mark off the list of requirements and tell you if you did good or bad at the end of it.

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
I worked at KFC for 17 months.
I was the best employee there, if I do say so.

First things first though, bustinjustin, I must ask
"Why, oh, why, dear god, what are you doing to yourself?!"

The hospitality industry is the most disgusting, horrible, terrible place to be. Especially fast food. After working at the most disgusting, horrible Fast Food restaurant for ages, I look back and regret the day I went there for a job.
Although our KFC's standards were pretty high, and the people that worked there had pretty high expectations, so we were probably the cleanest KFC in the state, it was still a terrible place to work in. I hated the managers, they hated me, I hated customers, I hated EVERYTHING about that place. I made so many complaints and got all of the managers in so much trouble. The problem with our store was that everyone became your personal life.
Especially the managers getting involved in EVERYTHING they could.

Fast Food is the easiest industry to work in, piss easy, basically because no one gives a fuck what you do.

As soon as I left KFC at the beginning of 2003 after my HSC, I got a job at BiLo, like that.
Now I'm a department manager, and I'm feeling terrible because the plan was to leave about now to go and do my course at the AFTRS, but now if I leave I'll feel like I've thrown it all down the drain...

Retail and Hospitality, what horrible jobs.

edit: Training at KFC = watch video, complete booklet, work packing orders on Drive-Thru for weeks on end. *yawn*
Then when you work there showing initiative for a year and they finally make you a team leader, you really wonder where your life went wrong to make you become a team leader at the worst workplace in the world.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I agree. Sure there was a LOT of bad stuff, I won't lie; but there was also a lot of GOOD stuff.

bustinjustin

HSC
biggles04 said:
I worked at KFC for 17 months.
I was the best employee there, if I do say so.

First things first though, bustinjustin, I must ask
"Why, oh, why, dear god, what are you doing to yourself?!"

The hospitality industry is the most disgusting, horrible, terrible place to be. Especially fast food. After working at the most disgusting, horrible Fast Food restaurant for ages, I look back and regret the day I went there for a job.
Ald.

Retail and Hospitality, what horrible jobs.
I must admit, ever since I got to 14 years and 9 months I swore that I'd never work in fast food...until now. I guess my friends got to me and the constant nuisance of having to plead stingy parents for money eventually got me. My friends reasoned that we all have to start somewhere, and I got inspired when I saw off an exchange student at the airport. Maccas hired me before Krispy Kreme, but either way I was gonna work at the airport.

Manager's a bit annoyed that I could work 10-4pm mon- thurs next week because of national art school...it's only a one off, but I get the feeling I've screwed up her best made plans

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Want some advice? SCREW THEIR PLANS!

The absolute worst thing you can do is become their servent or lackey. If something doesn't suit you, DON'T do it. Don't accept a shift just to be nice. Don't think "if I don't do this, they won't like me anymore".

They'll walk all over you otherwise.

phatic

HSC
I worked there for three months, full time, out the back, in a small country town... I'd never work in the industry again. The other people working there were pathetic, with all the little games they played... Might be different in the city though.

tennille

HSC
bustinjustin said:
Even though I've heard a lot of shit about Maccas I'm quite excited about my first job ever (it couldve been Luna Park hanging out at a Tattoo stall for $14 an hour, but yeah....aww).
I've got a friend who works at the Circular Quay store and not only has he been robbed by workmates twice, he doesn't get his own uniform (he picks shirt/pants off the rack and returns them after the shift).
Is this the situation at every store?

Post up whatever shit you have about Maccas, but does anyone have anything good to say about them?

Oh and I've got the impression I'll be starting out the back. Where's it easier, at the back or at the counter? I'm keen on counter cos I'm a 'people person' (that is such a wanker statement)...but according to my friends in a few weeks time i'l be the exact opposite
I used to work at maccas. I never got my own uniform- had to do exactly the same as your friend. Sometimes they didn't even have my size because the laundry hadn't been done. I hated it there. I got payed $5.93 an hour! What a crap pay rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)