Machine Embroidery (1 Viewer)

Emma_Jane

HSC
Hi there

I am doing my Textiles Major this year and I was just wondering if anyone knows whether or not we can use Machine Embroidery as part of the surface decoration.

Thanks for your help.

Emma

Kulazzi

HSC
Of course you can! You can use anything. Apparently my teacher told me that machine embroidery is kind of like a creative piece. Go for it! :)

Emma_Jane

HSC
Thanks for that. I am not exactly sure what I am doing yet but, I am hoping to have something lined up soon, as I have already missed the first 10 weeks of the HSC because I was at Business College and then overseas.

Kulazzi

HSC
That's ok. My teacher told my class not to do apparel cos there's heaps of competition in that focus area, but what does the majority of the class do? Apparel :rolleyes: I think only one girl in my class is doing cushions....

HSC
N/A
The good thing about apparel is that it can often be easily linked to Costume or TA - two of the girls in my class who did apparel twisted their supporting documentation to make it Costume. :D And they all got band 6's, too. :D

But yeah, one would imagine everyone in the state would want to do Apparel - so that there is some use for the confounded project! lol.

Kulazzi

HSC
which would you say is the best material to do machine embroidery on? I was thinking between satin and silk but then my teacher said it can get frayed. She recommended more plain woven, like cotton :confused:

Emma_Jane

HSC
I think that it would depend on the amount of machine embroidery that you want to do, and the actual garment that you are making.

If it is a large amount of embroidery you may find it wasier to work on a more stable fabric such as cotton, although you need to remember that when the fabric is being embroidered it is placed in a hoop and pulled taught so you may be able to complete all of the embroidery fairly easily without too much fraying of the fabric.

I think also that it is dependant upon how you feel about working with different types of fabrics, you need to be confident with the fabric that you are working with for it to be successful.

HSC
N/A
^^ Not to mention stabilisers. Whoop whoop for the stabilisers!

One other thing - if you are doing machine embroidery, try not to just use existing pattens on the computer. Alter them in some way, add something onto them...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)