Macleay College professional recognition? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I've just stumbled across Macleay, and after reading their site and the opinions of current students on BOS, it's certainly tickled my fancy.

The only problem is, most of the opinions I've seen in previous threads were from current students, and I really want to know in what regard a Diploma in Journalism from Macleay is held by employers compared to a uni degree?

ellyschmelly

HSC
Employers in the media industry don't really look at qualifications.

They value experience more than anything else and all the guest speakers that come to Macleay have all said this.

Enrolling at Macleay College is the biggest mistake one could ever make and I regret having stuck it out there for the whole year.

Not only is their program rigid and outdated, but their advertising material and website fail to mention a lot of things, for example:
  • No flexibility in their timetables
  • Threatening students all throughout the year - e.g.
    • telling many of us that we will not be able to graduate if we don't get 90% attendance or
    • "you need 80% to pass shorthand otherwise you won't be able to graduate"
  • If you need to take any days off you are required to fill out leave forms and provide medical certificates, there is no room for special circumstances.
    • If there was an assessment on that day and they deem your reason to be away as "not good enough" (which by the way is according to their own standards which they do not disclose), you get marked as zero.
  • High student dropout rate (my class is now down to about 30% from the number that originally enrolled)
  • No monitoring of the actual work done in class time
    • 1 example, and there are too many to list:

• My advice is that you come and see for yourself by visiting the college. Just go up the lifts, hang around the reception area for 15-30mins and have a wander. Nobody will even notice if you're a student there or not.

Ask the students about what they think of Macleay, listen to them get bullied around by teachers and reception. You can see just how depressing it is there in a matter of minutes and save yourself a year or two of stress.

Last edited by a moderator:

socrates6

HSC
N/A
Elllyschmelly has a lot to learn about being professional. Her negative reference to Macleay College comes from a student who spent more time hanging around corridors to check out the boys than she did in the classroom. When she was in fact in the classroom, she spent the time texting on her mobile phone or touching up her lipstick in the mirror.

Her facts about a minimum 80% pass for certain subjects are incorrect as she probably did not take the time to read her course outline and what she refers to as threats about not passing were more likely Lecturers' attempts to focus her so she would apply herself in class as she was in serious danger failing due to lack of participation.

Wake up Elly and think before you write slander.

DavoScot

HSC
I am a Current Student at Macleay, I can tell you what while there is a High Drop out in my class and they do threaten you with attendance.

Macleay is a Pleasant place to be, They send you a letter if your attendance is lacking but they do not threaten you other than that. Even the head Dean has said as long as you pass and make an attempt you will graduate.

The teachers are very pleasant and proffessional, I have personally phones many teachers at home or on their mobile if i have a question and they are only happy to help.

As for the Drop out rate, Every where has that. Whether it be because they made a mistake and do not wish to further there education in that field, Do not wish to pay the fees or because they just are a dead ...... you fill in that last word.

As for employers, I have spoken to many and they all regard Macleay every highly, Yes i do not have employement yet but thats because of the recession and due to me not living in sydney.

I suggest you do come in and talk to the people, Most people love it and will recommend it to anyone

FookYu

HSC
Hey it's good to know that nearly a decade later they're still as shit as ever! But you forgot the part about girls quitting in droves due to sleazy head of department and the college brushing it under the carpet because hey, what's more important? protecting a pervert or protecting young people who deserve to not be sexually harassed at uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)