Macleay College (1 Viewer)

jasond4

HSC
N/A
Inter, how did you get the 'priority' response for the uni answer thingy by christmas?

Knowingnothing

Legendary!
HSC
jasond4 said:
Most of those questions are answered in the info packs that get sent out.

You could also google 'sport management courses' you might get some results/answers that way.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing.

I think most colleges will require an interview anyway. Lol.

jasond4

HSC
N/A
Knowingnothing said:
Only for Uni right now. Probably will wait till I get my UAI first, but it might be too late.
when do you get your UAI?

inter108

HSC
jasond4 said:
Inter, how did you get the 'priority' response for the uni answer thingy by christmas?
4 courses

All business/commerce

one economics :D

jasond4

HSC
N/A
tania O said:
hey guys i wanna do Diploma Of Fitness at "Tafe" its a 2 year course that wil be long lol i recievied a msg on my phone saying that theres space available for you at the "Australian Institute Of Fitness Parramatta" call now to qualify bla bla bla lol. So yea is that a good place to go to and study???.

ummmm, thats really got nothing to do with this forum, sweetheart.

Knowingnothing

Legendary!
HSC
Well I was pretty close to choosing I wanted to go to ABA college, I had Macleay in mind but I just felt it wasn't right there. Decided to put it on my UAI and well now I'm going to study Sports Management at UWS. Pretty happy, didn't really have any other Uni or course I wanted to do so I didn't really try very hard if at all.

What are you guys going to do, assuming you're still doing Sports Management.

HellBender

HSC
So is Macleay good? I'm looking to go there but some comments are giving me cold feet.

*rUsTy*

HSC
I'll be honest and say that I did enjoy the course.

Pros...
*It's quite practical and in retrospect, it was very easy.
*You learn a lot of the basics which should be enough to head straight into the work force the year after.
*There are some subjects are a waste of time like photojournalism, media law and a couple others. There are some interesting ones as well though, so it's balanced out.
*The lecturers are quite good because they're in the industry. They're easy to get along with.
*The smaller classes not only make it easy for you to make friends but also gives you more one on one time with lecturers.
*Smack bang in the CBD so it's close to a lot of things e.g. food, transport etc.
*Force you to do work experience which in turn makes you make contacts for possible future work.
*You get a showreel and a printed article to show off to employers.
*It's only a year.

Cons...
*4 days a week... some days a long, others are half. You just don't get enough free time. The hoidays are bullcrap too, only 1 or 2 weeks now and then.
*It's small. The computer rooms can get crowded.
*No extra curricular activities e.g. social groups or sport.
*You have to bring your own paper to print with.
*They threaten you a lot. They're very strict about attendance and are always threatening to fail you if it isn't like 90% by the end of it all.
*Shorthand. It's a bitch to learn and it's useless imo.
*It seems like a lot of work at once (it's easy but sometimes tedious).
*The 2nd year BA program they offer. Believe me, if you take this up you WILL change your mind about Journalism. I did.
*It's fucking expensive.

Overall, it's 1 year (a very expensive one at that) and you learn all the things you need to be able to start working straight away. You might be overwhelmed but it's mostly very easy to pass everything (except Shorthand). You make friends easily and has a very high school vibe to it.

HellBender

HSC
I'm going into Macleay more as a pathway into uni rather than a direct career link and I've heard rather it's actually not so great in that respect. The credits don't amount to much . I also heard reading around that they are not as high standing with employers as they advertise.

It'd all be good if I get into uni, but I'm not feeling it much now. Perhaps there are other options you wish you'd pursued, rusty?

*rUsTy*

HSC
Ah right. Well, it is a pathway... albeit a very expensive one. I'm not too sure if people went from the Diploma to Uni but I personally did the Diploma/BA and will be going to Uni this year doing something completely different.

I was actually at Macquarie today lodging some forms to get some credit for my new course and she said a completed Diploma usually accounts for something like 26 credits or something. So in that regard I'm glad it was useful for something.

I'm sure there are other pathways to Uni. Something like a Diploma in Languages or something can usually get you to Uni pretty easily.

As for Macleay's advertising. They do advertise themselves very well, especially in regards to employment. I personally don't know how true it all is but from experience I highly doubt the rate is 90% or whatever they claim.

iam18

HSC
im considering journalism in macleay, what is the cost?
ppl say its cheap and sum say its expensive?

*rUsTy*

HSC
It's approximatly $20,000 for the one year which is quite expensive in comparison to a 4 year Uni degree.

FookYu

HSC
LOL! It's actually more by the time they accidentally (deliberately) fuck up your FEE HELP and charge you extra for subjects you never did, then threaten you to stay quiet if you want to pursue a refund through FEE HELP. Macleay College should be on the list of dodgy private institutions in Sydney but for some reason they manage to stay out of the media. I wonder why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)