Macq Bank Interviews (1 Viewer)

aaa666

iverson
HSC
Does macq send you an e-mail within 2 weeks if you are not selected for an interview? I applied for the corporate affairs and its been nearly two weeks and I haven't got a reply. Thanks for the help!

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
The email could come any time. My friend rejected their offer for vacation work. He received a rejection email from them a month later.

Rorix

HSC
You got rejected. No-ones in a rush to let people know they've been rejected.

aaa666

iverson
HSC
yeah macq bank rejected me... i got a 'reference checking' from another major investment bank - does that mean im selected?

Rorix

HSC
If they haven't told you you've got an offer, you haven't yet got an offer. Banks do background checks after you accept the offer...but it seems to me that they are actually checking your attributes etc. not background, seems to me that you are still being evaluated (definately not rejected at least!)

aaa666

iverson
HSC
Rorix said:
If they haven't told you you've got an offer, you haven't yet got an offer. Banks do background checks after you accept the offer...but it seems to me that they are actually checking your attributes etc. not background, seems to me that you are still being evaluated (definately not rejected at least!)
That makes sense. Thanks.

victoriachailh

HSC
Can anyone pls fill me in on how the final round interview by macq is like??i really need to know.i applied for the equity capital markets for the Macquarie Capital Division.Thanks!

peanutbolt

~Cold
HSC
victoriachailh said:
Can anyone pls fill me in on how the final round interview by macq is like??i really need to know.i applied for the equity capital markets for the Macquarie Capital Division.Thanks!
Hey victoriachailh,
I had my final round interview on tuesday and then another final-final round this morning because the director was confused between 2 candidates. It was a really chilled out interview and the types of questions i was asked included;
- How would you value the Harbour Bridge?
- Get up on the whiteboard and set out the model, explain what inputs you would use and why.
- (grilling on the model i set out)
- how many petrol stations in australia? explain your answer.
- if you were valuing a telco, what multiple would you use and why?
- why macq?
- why IB?
- why xxxx (the team i applied to)?
- tell me about xyz (something in my resume)

it went well i thought and they gave me positive feedback, said they have a couple more interviews today and will call me tmrw.

Hope that helps and goodluck.

peanut

jynxe

HSC
I had my final-round with MacCap Advisors last Tuesday and got my offer on Wednesday.

Questions they asked:

- Resume based: experiences, difficulties, work and uni society experiences, etc
- Why IB? Why I chose my degree
- What deal/financial news had I been following or found interesting?
- What do I think is the main concern facing companies in today's environment?
- How would I value a real estate development?
- Would I use a higher or lower Wacc and why?

- General chit-chat stuff, I didn't get any 'brain teasers' or numeric questions in my 2nd interview at all, just broad financial knowledge, and some personal/experience-based questions.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
did you all use WACC to answer the valuing of xxx ? or did you go through the different methods of valuing a project? (pay-back, accounting, etc)

how did you all respond to the random brainteaser-type questions? i've just messaged peanut, and i'd have no idea what to say to one of the riddle-like questions he said they asked :x

thanks for your help!

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
sf_diegoxrock said:
did you all use WACC to answer the valuing of xxx ? or did you go through the different methods of valuing a project? (pay-back, accounting, etc)

how did you all respond to the random brainteaser-type questions? i've just messaged peanut, and i'd have no idea what to say to one of the riddle-like questions he said they asked :x

thanks for your help!
DCF is safest to stick to if its an applicable example. Something like the Harbour Bridge is relatively straightforward - tolls, traffic flow, operating and capital expenses. If you can predict these out reasonably reliably then you can use a DCF model with WACC as the discount factor.

For the really out-there questions like "how many petrol stations are there in Australia?" whats important is the thought process you show. The final answer is almost irrelevant. For the petrol station example you could start by guessing the number of petrol stations in a suburb you know well. You'd then extrapolate to the number of suburbs in a city, then to the relative numbers of cities in each State etc. Or you could do it by population. Or number of cars etc.

Make your reasoning logical and nobody really cares what answer you arrive at. These questions are pretty common in management consulting interviews, so if you want some practice at these type of case studies, Google search for MC interview examples.

As for examples of the brainteasers, I had "what's 99 squared (Mac love this question)", "how many footballs would fit in the MCG?", "how many golfballs would fit in the trunk of my car?" etc.

A lot of the technical questions will depend on what industry group you applied for. Property typcially ask DCF type question because thats how they model their projects (hint: lookup cap rates and vacancy rates). Something like TMET could ask multiples related valuation questions because they love that. Resources would probably ask something around valuing comapnies on the reserves they have in the ground and the risk in getting those to market.

I'd bone up on some industry specific news - the big deals, recent deals, what Macquarie has done recently in the sector etc.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
So did anyone actually get rejected after their final interview?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)