Macquarie the place for me? (1 Viewer)

BlueTomato

HSC
HI guys , im a malaysian student and im looking to join the bachelor of commerce in macquarie , tbh i applied to other universities but bcoz of financial issues macquarie is the more affordable option compared to some other universities , i was wondering howsthe night life , sports facilities and campus lifestyle in macquarie. I was browsing around the threads n i find it appauling that the asians dun seem approachable and tend to click among their own groups. im now choosing between adelaide or sydney so juz give me ur feedback about macquarie university aite ...cheers~ B)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Macquarie is a fantastic place to get a commerce degree which is highly recognized and respected in the business world. The sports facilities are quite good in my opinion (especially the sports and aquatic centre) and the campus lifestyle is laid back. We've got Thursdays nights at UBar along side other events running throughout weekend nights (acoustic acts, trivia if that's your thing and so on).

At Macquarie (especially compared to some other universities), you'll generally find that the students are easier to get along with and less up themselves while still having that academic drive. I've personally found it easy to make genuine friends (not the type you meet once and never see again).

In terms of international students mainly sticking together, I think you'll run into that situation regardless of which institute you decide to attend. Sometimes things like that are inevitable when you're thrown into a new culture and find it difficult to connect with the locals. I'd like to stress though that this really comes down to what you're like as an individual. It would be foolish to simply make the implication that all international students merely stick together. In fact, I've made quite a few friends with students who plan to go back home after their degrees and many of them are very interesting to hang out with.

In terms of commerce, some friends from other universities seem to think our units are a little bit more difficult. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is basically up to you, however I can say that most subjects are put together quite well (bar anything to do with the statistics department). Speaking from the perspective of an accounting student, I can also say that the units I've studied so far have been pretty relevant to the real world, with the exception with BBA102 and MKTG101.

Hope that helps.

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
Macquarie is a fantastic place to get a commerce degree which is highly recognized and respected in the business world. The sports facilities are quite good in my opinion (especially the sports and aquatic centre) and the campus lifestyle is laid back. We've got Thursdays nights at UBar along side other events running throughout weekend nights (acoustic acts, trivia if that's your thing and so on).

At Macquarie (especially compared to some other universities), you'll generally find that the students are easier to get along with and less up themselves while still having that academic drive. I've personally found it easy to make genuine friends (not the type you meet once and never see again).

In terms of international students mainly sticking together, I think you'll run into that situation regardless of which institute you decide to attend. Sometimes things like that are inevitable when you're thrown into a new culture and find it difficult to connect with the locals. I'd like to stress though that this really comes down to what you're like as an individual. It would be foolish to simply make the implication that all international students merely stick together. In fact, I've made quite a few friends with students who plan to go back home after their degrees and many of them are very interesting to hang out with.

In terms of commerce, some friends from other universities seem to think our units are a little bit more difficult. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is basically up to you, however I can say that most subjects are put together quite well (bar anything to do with the statistics department). Speaking from the perspective of an accounting student, I can also say that the units I've studied so far have been pretty relevant to the real world, with the exception with BBA102 and MKTG101.

Hope that helps.
Glad to know all the effort I'm putting into those two units is worth it ;)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
They're absolutely awesome GPA boosters, I'll give them that. :)

BlueTomato

HSC
Thank you for the prompt response , i do realise that it is depended on an individuals personality and traits as to how they would respond to a new environment , i on the other hand look forward to making new friends and to share their diverse cultures and not just to mingle among people of the same nationality. Ive heard good things about macquarie's gym facilities so tats a plus , I was wondering about the sport of badminton on campus issit widely played? cause back in my country i wud say almost everyone plays a little badminton , sounds wicked to have a bar on campus so im really looking forward to studying in MU , btw i jzu got my offer so i wud probably be going to MU , Cheers :D

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Awesome - another MQer! You will fit in fine if that's the attitude you're bringing with you, so don't stress too much.

I'm pretty sure there's a Badminton Tournament happening somewhere (you'll probably need to jump onto Campus Life for more information). :)

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
It's good, haven't had too much time for it because I usually got to the library to do homework/study. :p

BlueTomato

HSC
Yea there are plenty of people at the ubar, though the uni is pretty quiet on friday afternoons :p I'm doing a Bachelor of Business Administration.

now i know where im gonna spend my weekends ;), how far is macquarie from the CBD?

astroe

HSC
15-20 minute train ride? WTF.
More like 40. It's really close but unbelievably slow for some reason.

You can get there by car under 15. :)

Oh, if you do come here, get a phone with Telstra.
You'll thank me in the long run.

blackrider89

HSC
15-20 minute train ride? WTF.
More like 40. It's really close but unbelievably slow for some reason.

You can get there by car under 15. :)

Oh, if you do come here, get a phone with Telstra.
You'll thank me in the long run.
Why with Telstra? Unless you wanna talk the whole time in lecture... At Mason signal in general is weak tbh and Vodafone or 3 is hopeless.

By bus: 50-1 hour. Via train: 35-40 mins. To the CBD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)