• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Macquarie uni gym (1 Viewer)

RobinKumar

HSC
Uni Grad
How much is gym membership? (Can't find it anywhere on the net)
Also is the gym worth the money?

Fake-Name

HSC
I actually came here to ask the same question. I might be possibly moving to North Ryde and it would be much easier to join the University gym.

Just to add onto Robin's query: How busy is the gym? I am in a pretty decent situation at the moment, where I go late night and share the machines with only one other regular. I'm sure it wouldn't be the same at Macquarie though.

RobinKumar

HSC
Uni Grad
I actually came here to ask the same question. I might be possibly moving to North Ryde and it would be much easier to join the University gym.

Just to add onto Robin's query: How busy is the gym? I am in a pretty decent situation at the moment, where I go late night and share the machines with only one other regular. I'm sure it wouldn't be the same at Macquarie though.

Actually I just found out that for mac student membership its around $45/month. For community membership its around $80, however future students (like us) we can only join when we get proof that we are going to mac, we cant show ID cards cause they dont come in a while, so we have to show our enrolment papers (which may take a while). Until then I might just get a community membership for Jan.
Also I have gone there before and it is quite busy but Im sure that you would get a machine.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Look out for membership deals - they sometimes offer discounted memberships at certain times of the year, or if you join with someone else.

rayy_bann

HSC
I heard the gym is really well built and large compared to other Sydney universities, is that true?

emmalinarina_

HSC
N/A
Hey,

I'm in my 3rd year at Macquarie and I'd definitely recommend getting the gym membership, but only if you're going to use it a couple of times a week, otherwise it's not worth it. I can't remember how much it costs but they do a deal in O-week of Semester 1 and 2 where you get a month free when you sign up with a friend. (If you don't know anyone, just hang around the sign in table and grab the first person who walks in by themself and pretend to be their friend. Believe me it works because the person you sign up with gets a free month too).

With the membership you get access to pretty much everything - the gym, the classes, the pool, the squash courts, etc. The gym are is pretty big, they have tons of treadmills so I've never had to wait for someone to get off. They did have a separate weights area for the girls and guys but the guys have pretty much taken over both and the free weights and weight machines are pretty popular so you might have a hard time getting use of them if you go in peak times (i.e. during the day on uni days).
The pool's really nice in the morning but is also busiest in the morning when everyone gets in before work and uni. The classes are awesome, my favourite part, and they have limited spaces so don't get too crowded, avoid going on a Saturday morning though - I swear they increase the class sizes and it's way too crowded. Also, you have to register for the class beforehand but you can't do it on over the phone and you can't do it more than 2 hours beforehand. Sometimes I register and then go to class and then come back but there have been a few times where the class has been full so then I just go and use the gym.

Hope that helped a bit! :)

Emma

RobinKumar

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,

I'm in my 3rd year at Macquarie and I'd definitely recommend getting the gym membership, but only if you're going to use it a couple of times a week, otherwise it's not worth it. I can't remember how much it costs but they do a deal in O-week of Semester 1 and 2 where you get a month free when you sign up with a friend. (If you don't know anyone, just hang around the sign in table and grab the first person who walks in by themself and pretend to be their friend. Believe me it works because the person you sign up with gets a free month too).

With the membership you get access to pretty much everything - the gym, the classes, the pool, the squash courts, etc. The gym are is pretty big, they have tons of treadmills so I've never had to wait for someone to get off. They did have a separate weights area for the girls and guys but the guys have pretty much taken over both and the free weights and weight machines are pretty popular so you might have a hard time getting use of them if you go in peak times (i.e. during the day on uni days).
The pool's really nice in the morning but is also busiest in the morning when everyone gets in before work and uni. The classes are awesome, my favourite part, and they have limited spaces so don't get too crowded, avoid going on a Saturday morning though - I swear they increase the class sizes and it's way too crowded. Also, you have to register for the class beforehand but you can't do it on over the phone and you can't do it more than 2 hours beforehand. Sometimes I register and then go to class and then come back but there have been a few times where the class has been full so then I just go and use the gym.

Hope that helped a bit! :)

Emma

Thanks for all the help Emma but I've already got a new gym membership with plus fitness in Eastwood. It know that PLus Fitness is better in terms of cost and very empty cause not too many people know about it.
But thanks again for the help
Robin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)