Magistrates plagarise too! (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
NEWS | MYCAREER | DOMAIN | DRIVE | FINANCE | MOBILE | RSVP | STAYZ member centre | login | register

www.smh.com.auHome » National » Article
Magistrate steps aside for counselling
Email Print Normal font Large font By Michael Pelly Legal Reporter
March 24, 2006

A FEDERAL magistrate has temporarily stepped down after large slabs of a colleague's judgement were included without attribution in a decision that took more than three years to deliver.

Jennifer Rimmer also failed to inform the parties she later altered her judgement, but agreed to take two months' leave on Wednesday, during which she will undergo counselling.

Her fellow magistrates blew the whistle on the 44-year-old, who was appointed from the Family Court registry in November 2001. Within months she was complaining about the workload and requesting more resources.

The Chief Federal Magistrate, John Pascoe, said the court's Internal Judgment Committee told him last May that Ms Rimmer's decision in a sexual harassment case involving a Brisbane hotel had lifted key parts of a judgement by a Melbourne magistrate, John Walters.

The case was heard on November 2001, but Ms Rimmer did not hand down her decision until April 1 last year.

After repeated requests from Mr Pascoe, she altered her judgement to contain proper attribution but failed to alert the parties - a remarkable lapse for a judicial officer and a fact of which Mr Pascoe says he became aware only two weeks ago.

Mr Pascoe said she had "agreed to take leave so that she may be provided with additional training, counselling and appropriate mentoring over the next two months before returning to sitting duty". He said she would be confined to family law cases, as she has been for the past six months. "The use of material without attribution … is simply unacceptable in all areas of professional life."

The Chief Magistrate said the question of a judge's removal was for Parliament, but the case is sure to provoke debate on whether there should be a federal judicial commission to handle complaints and a more consultative appointments process.

Mr Pascoe, a former head of the law firm Phillips Fox, said when he came to the job in July 2004 there was a "significant backlog" of judgements. Most are now handed down within three months and Mr Pascoe said he had confidence in the "vast majority" of his magistrates.

Mr Pascoe said "much has been asked" of the court since its inception in 2001 and that he had asked the Attorney-General, Philip Ruddock, to bring forward appointments and provide more administrative support.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Very bad. After you learn how to write properly it's simply easier to write it yourself rather than copy other peoples work. That said, decisions of a similar nature, say in the AAT, are often very similar, almost carbon copies of previous decisions. OR at least they appear to use a very similar template.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
Very bad. After you learn how to write properly it's simply easier to write it yourself rather than copy other peoples work. That said, decisions of a similar nature, say in the AAT, are often very similar, almost carbon copies of previous decisions. OR at least they appear to use a very similar template.
funnily enough, the Courts have said it's ok for the AAT to give template-style decisions for generic cases (such as merits review of all migration cases from asylum applicants from, say, religious persecution in a certain region), as long as proper attention is given to the individual case.

after your moving and shakering of the tribunals, what do you think Mr Moonlight?

Last edited by a moderator:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Frigid said:
funnily enough, the Courts have said it's ok for the AAT to give template-style decisions for generic cases (such as merits review of all migration cases from asylum applicants from, say, religious persecution in a certain region), as long as proper attention is given to the individual case.

after your moving and shakering of the tribunals, what do you think Mr Moonlight?
Unfair that you peoples get to do admin law with the new text book that probably makes much more sense than the book I had to read.

Last edited by a moderator:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Interesting Santa, very interesting.

Which text did you use erawamai. I hated admin anyway it was so dry.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
nick1048 said:
After studying Law for all of 4 weeks I'm telling you it's a tempting notion.

Plagiarism... It's not THAT bad...

right...

*ho hum*
Lol did they not tell you about The Law Society of Tasmania v. Richardson [2003] TASSC 9

I'd prefer a smooth admission if I can manage it

santaslayer

HSC
hmmm...i liked admin...

admin was pretty insightful...

for me anyway...

got pretty heavy with all the rules of exception though...

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
MiuMiu said:
Which text did you use erawamai. I hated admin anyway it was so dry.
Douglas and Jones. I really felt that book was pointless, others may disagree. I kinda didn't like my teacher either. Again, others may disagree.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
Douglas and Jones. I really felt that book was pointless, others may disagree. I kinda didn't like my teacher either. Again, others may disagree.
Both the book and the subject are pointless. I have an essay due this Friday that I don't think will ever get started, let alone finished. Give me 'real' law (ie; something I can actually apply) any day.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
hfis said:
Both the book and the subject are pointless. I have an essay due this Friday that I don't think will ever get started, let alone finished. Give me 'real' law (ie; something I can actually apply) any day.
I think Admin law is something that is really practical. However making you write an essay on it is a bit harsh. At New South you had the option of a 5000 word essay or an mid session exam.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
hfis said:

Just a hint hfis, if Andrew Kelly is going to be marking your essay, a crisp, concise essay will get you fantastic marks.

I would assume that the choice of essay questions would be different to what they were last year, but if there is a question on Gough's dismissal, steer clear cos everyone will do it....try and choose the most obscure question and write a reasonable quality essay--it will get you far with Andrew.

Oh and erewamai I used Douglas and Jones too, I found the readings interesting but the classes torture. Like you we had an insanely boring teacher (who, to make matters worse would play old music before class and in the breaks, just because :rolleyes:)

santaslayer

HSC
erawamai said:
I think Admin law is something that is really practical. However making you write an essay on it is a bit harsh. At New South you had the option of a 5000 word essay or an mid session exam.
A choice? OMFG!

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
MiuMiu said:
Oh and erewamai I used Douglas and Jones too, I found the readings interesting but the classes torture. Like you we had an insanely boring teacher (who, to make matters worse would play old music before class and in the breaks, just because :rolleyes:)
She wasn't boring. I just didn't think the teacher made it very clear. But yes others did like the teacher.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
MiuMiu said:
Like you we had an insanely boring teacher (who, to make matters worse would play old music before class and in the breaks, just because :rolleyes:)
lol "old music"?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
MiuMiu said:
Like you we had an insanely boring teacher (who, to make matters worse would play old music before class and in the breaks, just because :rolleyes:)
Yep, that's Andrew alright. He's rather frustrating sometimes... last week he kept saying 'environmental' instead of 'administrative', and he didn't even realize it - much confusion ensued. At least he (kind of) knows my name now, which apparently is a one-in-a-million thing.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
lol "old music"?
Just random old songs. But not even good ones, all of us bar the 50+ mature-age student had never heard them......

Optophobia

HSC
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=172934
Magistrate accused of plagiarism quits
Tuesday Dec 19 10:08 AEDT
A Federal Court magistrate has quit her post nine months after being accused of plagiarising the judgments of other magistrates.

Brisbane-based Jennifer Rimmer tendered her resignation on Monday after being on sick leave since April, Chief Federal Magistrate John Pascoe confirmed.

It was revealed in April she had copied more than 2,000 words from a colleague's decision in a different case for one of her judgments.

Other judgments by Ms Rimmer, 45, were also allegedly found to contain plagiarised sections.

"I met with Federal Magistrate Rimmer last week to discuss her future with the court in light of her continuing ill health," Mr Pascoe said.

"I was informed yesterday that on the basis of medical advice Ms Rimmer has submitted her formal resignation to the Governor-General.

"Accordingly, Ms Rimmer will not return to the court.

Ms Rimmer blamed hypothyroidism - a medical condition with symptoms such as fatigue and depression - and a heavy workload for the alleged plagiarism.

Mr Pascoe said the court would not pay Ms Rimmer a disability pension.

"As the court has no disability pension, she will be paid her long service leave and accumulated holiday leave entitlements applicable to her period of service," he said.

She refused to resign and abandon her $250,000 annual salary when she was engulfed in controversy in April.

Ms Rimmer was sworn in five years ago as the second federal magistrate in Brisbane.

©AAP 2006

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Whats this. BOS tries to make us do "All my Own Work" and the legal system does completely the opposite? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)